Options

Sunset in Makena (South Maui)

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

I finally took some time to shoot for me last night (it's been a while, mostly shooting for hire). Headed down to Makena to catch a sunset, and see what I could put together. This time around I used a neutral density filter (ND 4). Next time I think I'll opt for a CP so as to retain a faster shutter for more crispness in the set. The wind was blowing a bit, so I got just a tad bit of movement, but the colors are so doggone nice I wanted to share anyhow.

Every image you see is a multi-photo merge. Some are only 8-10 images, while others are over 40 images merged.

Mahalo for taking the time to view!

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

Boy, JonaBeth, you keep blowing me away with this stuff. Bravo. I really want to like 6 and 7 more than I do....which is a lot. On my monitor, parts of the sky in each one are pretty well blown out. It could be that that was a price you paid to get something else you wanted. I think, though, that someone with keen PP skills could mitigate that issue. Keep'm coming.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Wonderful JBR! 1-2-3 are 1-2-3 for me! Second one is what I would feel like if I was in flying saucer!

I know nothing about drones, but if they can take dark exposures....then you can handle areas of bright light in post. Look into BLENDIF in PS.

I can pm you info if you like. It is very easy.

Cheers

• Options

@black mamba said:
    Boy, JonaBeth, you keep blowing me away with this stuff. Bravo. I really want to like 6 and 7 more than I do....which is a lot. On my monitor, parts of the sky in each one are pretty well blown out. It could be that that was a price you paid to get something else you wanted. I think, though, that someone with keen PP skills could mitigate that issue. Keep'm coming.

Mahalo for the supportive words! I'm having a fun time learning this craft, along with the limits of the little drone cam. You're correct, 6 & 7 were blown out in the clouds, specifically. I tried to save them, but feared losing the ability to recover the shadows. Always learning, but I know to keep trying!

@Stumblebum said:
    Wonderful JBR! 1-2-3 are 1-2-3 for me! Second one is what I would feel like if I was in flying saucer!

I know nothing about drones, but if they can take dark exposures....then you can handle areas of bright light in post. Look into BLENDIF in PS.

I can pm you info if you like. It is very easy.

Cheers

Taz, thanks a ton! I'll look into BLENDIF and see what kind of recovery magic I can do. This little drone camera keeps surprising me, but it def has it's tonal limits.

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Cant' recover....but if you had take a dark exposure in future.....then you can add the missing info. Cheers!

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Wonderful. The second and third are the most successful in my view. Are you doing panos for greater resolution?

• Options

@Cornflake said:
    Wonderful. The second and third are the most successful in my view. Are you doing panos for greater resolution?

Aloha and thank you for the kind review! Yes, I shoot these in merge for a few reasons. The camera is only 12MP and I will be printing some of these as large as 6ft in length, so I need the increased resolution. Additionally, the 35mm equivalent focal length is 20mm, which isn't quite enough to fit all of the scene into one shot.

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins

Beautiful photos of beautiful place. loved them

Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Ball3011Ball3011 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    Wonderful shots!! there just isn't enough time to get to all of the amazing places and its shots like these that encourage me to get out beyond my own world... (which is in itself, beautiful)
  • Options
    BlackRockBlackRock Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    Very beautiful shots !
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator

Lovely series. On my monitor, 8, 9, and 10 look a little oversaturated, but hey, maybe it really is that green, dunno. I think 2 and 6 are my favorites. It's very difficult to avoid clipping at least some of a sunset when the sun is still above the horizon. There's not much you can do about it in post, as all cloud detail were lost at capture. If the drone camera supports it, exposure bracketing and masking in post can sometimes help. Discreet use of HDR could be less work.

• Options

@Richard said:
    Lovely series. On my monitor, 8, 9, and 10 look a little oversaturated, but hey, maybe it really is that green, dunno. I think 2 and 6 are my favorites. It's very difficult to avoid clipping at least some of a sunset when the sun is still above the horizon. There's not much you can do about it in post, as all cloud detail were lost at capture. If the drone camera supports it, exposure bracketing and masking in post can sometimes help. Discreet use of HDR could be less work.

Mahalo Richard! You're spot on, a bit of low-key HDR does help. In this particular scenario, I shoulda tried. Most times, however, the wind is just enough to keep from having good alignment, even though the craft can rapid-fire up to 5 bracketed shots.

As for the saturation, believe it or not that's actually how green it is here! The colors of this place are insane, every day. I still have to now and again rub my eyes and re-focus just to make sure I'm looking at things correctly lol.

@Awais Yaqub said:
    Beautiful photos of beautiful place. loved them

Mahalo!

@Ball3011 said:
    Wonderful shots!! there just isn't enough time to get to all of the amazing places and its shots like these that encourage me to get out beyond my own world... (which is in itself, beautiful)

I'm greatly complimented! And you're absolutely right, there's just not enough time in a single life to capture it all!

@BlackRock said:
    Very beautiful shots !

Very much appreciated!