Options

Head Harbour lighthouse

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

Located on Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,192 moderator

Very nice! What is that "scoop thing" on the top of the roof? I've never seen that before. As for editing, can I suggest some slight leveling? The lighthouse and the ocean are both leaning to the right a bit.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Nice.....very serene!

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,830 moderator

@David_S85 said:
    ... What is that "scoop thing" on the top of the roof? ...

Not entirely certain but a guess is that it is a venting system for the lantern room. I suspect that the angled portion is a "wind cap"/"weather cap" for a chimney pipe, either oriented away from the prevailing winds, or possibly designed to rotate with the wind, ala a weather vane. It would provide upper ventilation without allowing rain into the chimney pipe.

They are still used today, although with different shapes:

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

Very nice Tom.

• Options

@David_S85 said:
    Very nice! What is that "scoop thing" on the top of the roof? I've never seen that before. As for editing, can I suggest some slight leveling? The lighthouse and the ocean are both leaning to the right a bit.

I appreciate the visit. My program says the picture is level. That depends, of course, on the reference line for leveling that one has chosen. Keep in mind that the door on the lighthouse is positioned on a section of the structure that has a pronounced bulge outward ( smaller at the top, larger at the bottom ) and, from the perspective of this shot, it will enhance the perception that the door is leaning. In any event, thanks for taking the time to comment.

Tom

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Many Grins

Very nice clarity.

• Options

@Stumblebum said:
    Nice.....very serene!

Thanks, Taz.

• Options

@ziggy53 said:

@David_S85 said:
    ... What is that "scoop thing" on the top of the roof? ...

Not entirely certain but a guess is that it is a venting system for the lantern room. I suspect that the angled portion is a "wind cap"/"weather cap" for a chimney pipe, either oriented away from the prevailing winds, or possibly designed to rotate with the wind, ala a weather vane. It would provide upper ventilation without allowing rain into the chimney pipe.

They are still used today, although with different shapes:

I appreciate the visit, Ziggy. Thanks also for the info provided...very helpful.

• Options

@Juano said:
    Very nice Tom.

Thanks, Cristóbal. I hope you're doing well.

• Options

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:
    Very nice clarity.

Thanks for commenting, Jorgen. I appreciate it.

• Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

Nicely done Tom! I hope you weren't on Campobello when I was across the way in Eastport ME......one of these days we will meet in person

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,831 Major grins

Nice shot Tom, although for my taste the exposure is slighty dark. Maybe bring the whites up a bit?

• Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins

WHOA!!!!!! Feel as if I can step out my back door into this photo, except there's no water, lighthouse, mountains in my backyard. Beautiful photo!
    -david

• Options

@redleash said:
    Nicely done Tom! I hope you weren't on Campobello when I was across the way in Eastport ME......one of these days we will meet in person

Hi, Lauren. We spent the night in Eastport. It was a fairly new, small place right on the water on South Street...a hop, skip and a jump from that Waco place. By the way, I'm on the hard hunt for some property to buy in the Elizabethton, TN area. You guys settled on an area yet?

• Options

@sarasphotos said:
    Nice shot Tom, although for my taste the exposure is slighty dark. Maybe bring the whites up a bit?

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, Sara. I actually backed down just a tad on highlights because of the lighthouse and some glare coming off of the rocks at front right foreground. Without those changes, it probably was more to your taste. I'll admit to having a preference for a very small smidgeon of underexposure in all of my photography. My camera is set to a 1/3 stop underexposure as a default setting.

Take care and stay safe.

• Options

Thank you, David. I really enjoyed your Great Race series. I saw a car or two I hadn't seen in quite a while....like that beautiful red and white Pontiac station wagon. I've got a little history with Pontiacs....owned a 1964 GTO and a 1974 SD 455 Trans Am. Both of those were a lot of fun.

Take care, buddy,

Tom

• Options
    pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,793 Major grins

@black mamba said:
    My program says the picture is level. That depends, of course, on the reference line for leveling that one has chosen.

Tom

Nice picture and scene, the line of rocks through the foreground leads the eye.
    But I suggest you let your program look at the water level in the ocean. It will then see it's slowly draining to the right ;)

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • Options

@pegelli said:

@black mamba said:
    My program says the picture is level. That depends, of course, on the reference line for leveling that one has chosen.

Tom

Nice picture and scene, the line of rocks through the foreground leads the eye.
    But I suggest you let your program look at the water level in the ocean. It will then see it's slowly draining to the right ;)

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I've run that water line through the program several times. Even if I " cheat " in placing the reference line, the correction made is minimal at best. If the ocean is slowly draining to the right, the good news is that it will take eons before it's all gone.