Canon 6D Mark II

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins

Aren't you better off buying a 5DMIII for the same price?

It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited July 2, 2017

@Zanotti said:

I believe so, especially if you include Magic Lantern (ML) for the 5D Mark III. While ML is generally known for its video capabilities, the still capture features really make the 5D Mark III into a super still image machine. (Yep, I own a 5D Mark III and I'm a ML believer.)

Probably the 6D Mark II will excel in extended dynamic range at base ISO. We'll have to see when the formal testing shows results.

Not trashing the 6D Mark II, it has some special capabilities that could make for quality images. Different horses for different courses.

ziggy53
  • PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins

I came to same conclusion as Ziggy and bought a used 5DIII for about $1400.

Ziggy--I am not a ML guy, what features will it improve on the 5D for me? Mainly a portrait camera for me, studio and environmental with the occasional second body use at field sports (100-400 on my 7DII, 70-200 or wider on 5DIII).

Thanks,

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator

@Photogbiker said:

Ziggy--I am not a ML guy, what features will it improve on the 5D for me? Mainly a portrait camera for me, studio and environmental with the occasional second body use at field sports (100-400 on my 7DII, 70-200 or wider on 5DIII).

Thanks,

If we get into a discussion about the 5D Mark III and Magic Lantern I'll have to create a new thread.

Briefly, for your stated uses of portraits and field sports, ML probably won't be terribly helpful. The still image advantages (IMO) mostly relate to:

Exposure automation improvement in slowly, but constantly, changing lighting conditions with a fairly constant scene.
    Expanded dynamic range at base ISO in extremely contrasty scenes and subject matter in the middle tones.
    Automated exposure ramping.
    Automated focus bracketing for macro.
    Trap Focus.
    Automatic auto-focus microadjustment (DotTune AFMA).

ziggy53
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2017

@Zanotti said:

I'd say wait to see how the sensor performs, I've edited hundreds of 5D III images and while it can produce great photos the files aren't nearly as flexible as the D750 I primarily shoot with while the 5D mkIV has closed that gap considerably. So if in this respect it's more like the mkIV which it likely will be since Canon has been making great strides in this area. So the best choice will depend on what you need out of your DSLR.

There are 2 main situations where this type of performance has been valuable to me, one is if the exposure is off and especially with a scene with changing lighting being able to shoot to underexpose a bit knowing that I wont pay a high penalty can let me stay with the action more VS checking it.

Then there scenes with a wide range of lighting in them, say your subjects are in shade but the background is in direct sunlight. While a fill flash would be ideal sometimes it's not practical but with these new cameras you can bring up the subjects enough in some cases without too heavy of a penalty in noise.

DPReview has a good tool to show the differences:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr134_0=canon_eos5dmkiii&attr134_1=canon_eos5dmkiii&attr134_2=nikon_d750&attr134_3=canon_eos5dmkiv&attr136_0=7&attr136_1=1&attr136_2=1&attr136_3=1&normalization=compare&widget=487&x=-0.0029362416107382005&y=0.8444563566514786

• joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins

I'd pick the 6d for video: Dual Pixel CMOS AF system
    Enables continuous automatic AF and AF tracking

• Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2017

@Photogbiker said:

Thanks,

a used 5D4 or 5D3 may be better, I'm occasionally an ML guy. I also shoot with an original 100-400

flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

• compasiune11compasiune11 Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins

Maybe you should consider buying Canon 5D mark IV, it better in every way, if you have the money...

Fotograf Nunta | Fotograf Brasov
    Canon 5DIV | Canon EF 35 f1.4 L II | Canon 24-70 f2.8 L II | Canon 70-200 f2.8 L II IS | Canon 16-35 f4 L IS