Milky Way over the Blue Ridge Parkway

moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins

I took a ride out to the Blue Ridge Parkway a week ago, up near Boone, NC, to shoot the stars and Milky Way.

1 - Your basic Milky Way photo:

2- A random star photo, I think that light on the horizon is Wilkesboro:

3 - A six-shot pano:

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Nice John! If you can find better fg, then it would make shots stand out more. Pano is nice! Looks like a bench is there.......if mine I would try to figure out how to add a person firing beam at center or something....I love the explosive galactic center to the right....

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Nice work, John. That pano shot is pretty strong. I've been up in Banner Elk since June 10 and so far I think there's been two nights of clear skies. Good opportunity, though, to get some good shots of clouds floating along below the ridge top level.

See you, buddy

Tom

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins

@Stumblebum said:
    Nice John! If you can find better fg, then it would make shots stand out more. Pano is nice! Looks like a bench is there.......

Thanks! I do look for some good foreground elements when I can, but that night, we were just looking for a nice clear area to see the sky - I was out with a friend who hadn't shot the stars before, so I wanted her to get some good images to start. The thing that looks like a bench is actually a large sign at the edge of the parking area - it is the "Tom Dooley" parking area, and the sign tells the true story of Tom Dule, a Civil War veteran, who inspired the song. I'll probably go back and edit that out - I thought about it, but never did.

@black mamba said:
    Nice work, John. That pano shot is pretty strong. I've been up in Banner Elk since June 10 and so far I think there's been two nights of clear skies. Good opportunity, though, to get some good shots of clouds floating along below the ridge top level.

Thank you, Tom! If you're going to be around for a while, we'll have to meet up.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

The last one is gorgeous!

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

That pano shot is a true winner, very well done.

Steve

Website
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Really good shots, as I expect when I've seen that you've posted.

Thank you so much!

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Love the last one, but it is too blue.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

@Cygnus Studios said:
    That pano shot is a true winner, very well done.

Well done!

@David_S85 said:
    Love the last one, but it is too blue.

You're right, I need to tweak the white balance - post processing these is still something of an adventure...

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Love the pano.

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

Love the pano also!

Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!