Teleconverter for Nikon 70-300

bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

I am going to try to photograph the solar eclipse in August. I have a D90 and I plan to use my Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G. I started looking at teleconverters and it seems that the Nikon TCs won’t work with this lens. Does anyone have any experience with other brand TCs with this lens? I’m also wondering if the 1.4-2X hit on f/# would also be prohibitive. Maybe I should just stick with the 300mm focal length. I am concerned that the third party TCs would have poor image quality with this lens. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.

~~Barbara

Comments

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

Some people claim that some lenses on the "compatible" list still don't work. For the most part any teleconverter works best with faster lenses. F4 or better. Nikon claims that a couple of slower lenses will work. I've not tested it personally, so I cannot state whether it does or not.

I use a Kenko teleconverter when I use one and it also struggles with slower lenses, mainly in trying to auto focus. There tends to be a little softness when using a teleconverter, but this is rarely an issue for most applications.

Steve

Website
  • bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

Thanks Steve. I read that with the Nikon TCs there is actually a fit issue as well. There is a tab that keeps the slower lenses from mating with the TC. I would probably do some testing in advance and set the focus on manual so the autofocus probably wouldn't be a problem. I hope. I have heard that the autofocus points don't work at apertures smaller than f/5.6 or f/8. Some may be optimized for even larger apertures. Since my lens f/# might be anywhere from 7.8 to 11.2 depending on whether I use a 1.4 or 2.0 I probably wouldn't have autofocus available.

Maybe I should just apply the $$ to a D7200 body with a 1.4X factor in length and width (2X total pixels) and just crop in post... :p;)

~~Barbara

According to the kenko compatibility chart the lens will work (with exceptions) but the D90 isn't listed as compatible. Not sure if it was ever tested or not.

Steve

Website

Thanks Steve. I sent a question to Kenko via their website to find out if they have anything that will work with my camera/lens combination. The extender doesn't really cost that much so if it just doesn't function it's not that big a deal. But if there is a physical mismatch that leads to hardware damage I wouldn't be very happy. So, I think I will wait until I hear from them before I decide what to do. I appreciate your quick responses.

~~Barbara
  • geoghanrgeoghanr Registered Users Posts: 3 Big grins
    I have an old Kenko Teleplus PRO300DG 1.4 that I use on my Nikon lenses and it functions with autofocus. You might look into this model.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator

The following link may be appropriate as it relates to a combined:

Nikon D90

• Kenko TelePlus MC7 AF 2.0X DGX
    • AF-S NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED

... and it shows image examples.

https://dreuxsawyer.wordpress.com/category/kenko-teleplus-mc7-af-2-0x-dgx-teleconverter/

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Hi Geoghanr and Ziggy. Thanks for the responses regarding the Kenko teleconverter. I'm glad to hear that it does work with the Nikon autofocus lenses. Also, the link from Ziggy has photos using a Kenko with the same lens I will be using. That is great info. The unprocessed photo of the "900 mm" moon gives me an idea of how large the sun will appear with that combo since they subtend the same angle. I did hear from Kenko that the teleplus converters will work with my D90 so I should be set. Time to get one on order. Thanks again--Dgrinners are the best!

~~Barbara

Update: I did get the Kenko 2x. Unfortunately in my practice attempts I found it hard to focus while using it. When setting up for the eclipse I had the same problems so I just went with my 70-300 set at 300mm. I'm glad I did. I'm sure others did better, but I'm happy enough with my shots. Here's a sample, unedited.

And another longer exposure (plus clouds)

Thanks for all the help. I'm sure I will find other uses for the Kenko.

~~Barbara

These are nice. The teleconverter takes a little getting used to, but you'll find plenty of uses for it soon enough.

Steve

Website