Options

King of the Jungle

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Just a lion in a field of wildflowers. Shot two days ago in the Ngorongo Crater. We are self-driving and camping across Tanzania. I would post more but internet is dicey to say the least.

Thanks for looking!
Joel

Comments

• Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,831 Major grins

Wow Joel, wonderful shots! You managed the DOF perfectly so that the entire lion is in focus and just enough flowers to give interest but not clutter. I love them all but I think my favorite is the third where he has kind of a sad expression and the butterfly is fluttering about his head. There's something about the massive strength of the lion and the equisite fragility of the butterfly that draws me.

• Options

Thanks very much for your kind and insightful comments, Sara. I really like the juxtaposition of the butterfly in that shot as well.

• Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2017

I agree with everything Sara said - love the shots and DOF. He does look a little forlorn - could it be all the flies he has to put up with?
    Another thing I found interesting - in the first shot, it appears that he has a little bit of Mohawk going on. One can see it in the other shots as well, albeit not as plainly.
    Anyway, really nice set.

• Options
    harveycatharveycat Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins

I really like these. I love his mane sticking up in the second photo. Good job capturing these.

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,239 moderator

Wonderful! In the last shot I can imagine he is ready to take a nap...

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

All right K-dog! Never seen lion in Wildflowers before! Really cool! What is that stuff on its nose?

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

There is something so lonely about image 2. It's compelling in a great way.

Overall a very good series and quite different from what is normally seen when it comes to shots of lions.

Steve

Website
  • Options
    jcharmonjcharmon Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    Excellent! I've never seen a shot of a lion in wildflowers. The butterfly makes it even better.
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

Wonderful captures Joel! I too like the one with the butterfly.

• Options
    lisamombasalisamombasa Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    I love the flowers.it makes him seem so gentle.unlike many other shots that make lions look ferrocious.great shot.
  • Options

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone. Here are a couple more.

Two lionesses in an Acacia tree in the Serengeti, Tanzania. This is actually unusual there. The tree climbing lions are usually found at the Lake Manyara National Park, not the Serengeti.

So I told this lion that she wasn't supposed to be in the trees in the Serengeti and she just laughed. At least I think it was a laugh.

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Lean, mean, killing machines! Bro what an adventure you are having. It is still my top wish to do, hope it happens!
    Can't wait to see them all....
    Cheers!

• Options

@Stumblebum said:
    Lean, mean, killing machines! Bro what an adventure you are having. It is still my top wish to do, hope it happens!
    Can't wait to see them all....
    Cheers!

Thanks, Taz. You are right, this is a great adventure. You will definitely do this.

• Options

Omg

• Options

Sorry i had written a longer comment ot somehow didnt send.i wanted to say omg thise are great images ive never seen lions do this☺.it must have been a great experience.they are really great shots