USA Lifetime Senior Pass 800% price increase

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
edited July 14, 2017 in Landscapes

Changes to the Senior Pass

Link to site for more information.

"On August 28, 2017, the price of the America the Beautiful – The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Senior Pass will increase for the first time since 1994. The additional revenue will be used to enhance the visitor experience in parks. Learn more about the changes, what they mean for you, and how the additional funds will be used."

"Why is the price of the Senior Pass increasing?
The price of the America the Beautiful – The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Senior Pass is increasing as result of the Centennial Legislation P.L. 114-289 passed by the US Congress on December 16, 2016.

When was the last time the price increased for the Senior Pass?
The Senior Pass has been $10 since 1994.

How much is it increasing?
The lifetime Senior Pass will increase from $10 to $80.

Why $80?
The legislation states that the cost of the lifetime Senior Pass be equal to the cost of the annual America the Beautiful – The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass, which is currently $80."

"How can I purchase a Senior Pass?
Senior Passes can be purchased at any federal recreation site, including national parks, that charges an entrance or standard amenity (day-use) fee. Proof of age and residency is required. See the complete list of sites where the pass is available (PDF).

Passes can also be purchased online or through the mail from USGS; an additional $10 processing fee will be added to the price. Visit the USGS store to buy the pass online or find instructions for purchasing by mail."

ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

Got mine at the current $10. price. Used to buy the $80 annual pass every year. Still a great bargain at $80.

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited July 14, 2017

I volunteer at a National Wildlife Refuge and I have to tell you the senior passes have been flying out of the door since this became widely known early this year.

Before I was eligible for the senior pass I always purchased the $80 annual pass. I wouldn't have had a problem paying $80 for a "for life" pass if I didn't already have the $10 pass, but I am concerned for those who can't afford the new pass price.

There is an option to buy an annual senior pass for $20. If an individual purchases an annual senior pass for 4 years the passes can be turned in for the lifetime pass. From the same page Ziggy linked above:

What if a senior citizen is on a fixed budget?
    The legislation also establishes an annual Senior Pass for $20. That pass is valid for one year from the date of issuance. Four annual Senior Passes purchased in prior years can be traded in for a lifetime pass.

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

I've bought a few Lifetime passes

Problem is .... I keep forgetting where I lay them... hence "the few"

Rags
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

I also used to get the annual pass and now have the senior pass. I'm philosophically opposed to charging anything for admission to our national parks, but I seem to be in a minority in that regard.

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Dang. They knew I was not going to get one year older in time. Figures.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited July 19, 2017

.> @Cornflake said:

I also used to get the annual pass and now have the senior pass. I'm philosophically opposed to charging anything for admission to our national parks, but I seem to be in a minority in that regard.

From the page I linked in the opening post, "... only 118 of 417 National Park Service sites have an entrance fee."

In other words, nearly 300 National Park Service sites are still free.

ziggy53
    edited July 19, 2017

@David_S85 said:
    Dang. They knew I was not going to get one year older in time. Figures.

Also from that page I linked:

"Are there any other benefits from a Senior Pass?
    Yes, traveling companions can also enter for free. The Senior Passes admit pass owner/s and passengers in a noncommercial vehicle at per-vehicle fee areas and pass owner plus three adults, not to exceed four adults, where per-person fees are charged."

Just carpool with your favorite old person who has a pass.

ziggy53

For everyone, 2017 is a very good year to visit the parks with "Free Entrance Days in the National Parks".

The National Park Service turned 100 years old in 2016! Celebrate the start of our second century by visiting a park in 2017. During 10 days of the year, all National Park Service sites that charge an entrance fee will offer free admission to everyone.

Mark your calendar for these entrance fee–free dates in 2017:
    January 16: Martin Luther King Jr. Day
    February 20: Presidents' Day
    April 15-16 and 22-23: Weekends of National Park Week
    August 25: National Park Service Birthday
    September 30: National Public Lands Day
    November 11-12: Veterans Day Weekend

ziggy53
  • bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

I first heard about the annual pass about 38 years ago when I was in my early 20s. I immediately decided that as soon as I turned 62 I was going to get one. I believe in planning ahead :). The pass was going to play a major role in my retirement. Over the years I have smiled at times in anticipation of all the natural beauty I was going to get to see. Every time I entered a national park and saw the senior pass listed I thought "That's going to be me". Well, I will turn 61, not 62, a few weeks before the price goes up. I'm still going to get the lifetime pass next year when I turn 62, and I agree it's still a deal, but it just seems a little funny that I fall on the wrong side of the increase after all that anticipation.

~~Barbara
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

Just carpool with your favorite old person who has a pass.

That's what my bride does....

Rags
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

@bfluegie said:
    I first heard about the annual pass about 38 years ago when I was in my early 20s. I immediately decided that as soon as I turned 62 I was going to get one. I believe in planning ahead :). The pass was going to play a major role in my retirement. Over the years I have smiled at times in anticipation of all the natural beauty I was going to get to see. Every time I entered a national park and saw the senior pass listed I thought "That's going to be me". Well, I will turn 61, not 62, a few weeks before the price goes up. I'm still going to get the lifetime pass next year when I turn 62, and I agree it's still a deal, but it just seems a little funny that I fall on the wrong side of the increase after all that anticipation.

To paraphrase an old Yiddish proverb; "Men plan, God chuckles"

Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!