Toroweap Trip (lotsapics!)

2»

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2013
    oh, there are some great shots on this thread! (I need to fix my links)(tonight)

Danny, let's set a date to go again... I have a truck this time around, so I can fit three others plus all the gear in the back. However this time I'm only going to bring a stove to heat up water for mountain house... we wasted so much food last trip! I have three coolers for you guys to fill with whatever you want to bring...
    Also this time I would like to get onsite for Fridays sunset and stay until after Sunday sunrise. I have a few new overlooks I wanna try...

April in nice.
    July-Aug can be awesome.

if you ever need a ride in let me know thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited February 28, 2013
    How did I miss this thread when it was new? Looks like you guys had a darned [strike]hot[/strike] good time.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

I pulled a thread out of the trenches and wasn't even gracious enough to fix my links that are broken.
    I was hoping to get some attention from anyone that remembers me and give a little update.
    I just wanted to express how happy these memories made me today. The last few years, specifically the last two months have been so hard on me. (Brain Cancer is not easy) the treatments have kept me from everything.

I'll make it out again to hack out a few shots! I thought we were going to try Devils Fire a while back but I was too sick to even try to pack a bag. maybe I can plan something soon, these July clouds have been very sweet this week here in St. George.

Aaron Nelson
  • theNOIZtheNOIZ Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins

Aaron, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

DGrin is still a thing? ;)

This thread does bring back a lot of fun memories.

I've never been so damn hot in my entire life! :D Reminds me of Blazing Saddles, "Come on, boys! The way you're lollygaggin' around here with them picks and shovels, you'd think it was 120 degrees. Can't be more than 114."

However, it was worth the heat to hang out with an awesome group of photographers to get those shots. You were a great guide on this trip. I remember getting stuck in Big Red, and you just laughed and laughed, and then knew exactly what to do. I also remember thinking how that single situation was going to ruin the rest of the trip for me. You helped me change my attitude. Thanks!

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins

@theNOIZ said:
    Aaron, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

DGrin is still a thing? ;)

This thread does bring back a lot of fun memories.

I've never been so damn hot in my entire life! :D Reminds me of Blazing Saddles, "Come on, boys! The way you're lollygaggin' around here with them picks and shovels, you'd think it was 120 degrees. Can't be more than 114."

However, it was worth the heat to hang out with an awesome group of photographers to get those shots. You were a great guide on this trip. I remember getting stuck in Big Red, and you just laughed and laughed, and then knew exactly what to do. I also remember thinking how that single situation was going to ruin the rest of the trip for me. You helped me change my attitude. Thanks!

• LOL. Indeed. Everyone I know is on FB
    • Good memories indeed. And yes, hot as hell.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"

I had FB once or twice... seeing perfect lives day after day got to me and I deleted everyone. maybe I will open it back up and make another go, I do miss seeing some particular people.
    btw, I didn't know dgrin was a ghost town..? that's sad.

Aaron Nelson
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Aaron, wishing you a great recovery. Dragging older threads like this out of the cobwebs is always a healthy thing. Hope to see you around here more often now and also very much hope you get back out there and do some serious shooting real soon. Take care!

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins

Aaron, so sorry man. Toroweap was the best trip ever. Would love to go on another shoot with you and the gang. I'm on FB or you can email me at dlplumer@mac.com.

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Aaron! Great to see you here and thanks for bringing back those memories. Good lord though, that's a pretty serious health problem. I wish you a full and speedy recovery.

I don't know if you remember this, but way back in the early days of Smugmug, you won a free 1-year subscription to Smugmug in some sort of contest. And since you already had a Smugmug subscription (and I didn't), you gifted it to me! I haven't forgotten about that kind and generous gesture. So thanks again for that! I still have my Smugmug account today.

Don't you get a free account as a moderator, Joel? If so you can gift me your Smugmug.

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

@dlplumer said:
    Don't you get a free account as a moderator, Joel? If so you can gift me your Smugmug.

No we don't, Dan. That would be pretty sweet if we did.

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

Wow an old revived thread and some long ago people stopping by. So nice to see.

I remember meeting Nikolai at the 5 year smugmug anniversary dinner where he was taking portraits of all of us.

Steve

Website
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins

Wow, Aaron, you went digging through the archives for this thread!

Just a week or so ago and I was looking through Facebook to see if I could find what you were up to these days, I had no idea you were go through such serious health issues. You were an incredible guide on this trip (and thanks for letting me sleep in your car when I broke my tent!). Sending you all the strength and prayers I can muster!

PS - I still have that hat :smile:

Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited July 23, 2017

I initially missed the revival of this thread because I was in Utah on the San Juan River. It was hot there too, 100+ degrees.

I remember the trip to Toroweap Aaron set up, and then sheperded us all through getting there and out. What a great week end that was.

I still have great memories of all the folks from that weekend and the drive in and out.

And the heat, 114 degrees Fahrenheit was pretty warm, even if everyone tells me it was a dry heat.

I just went back to look at some of my images shot back then - what a difference modern RAW editors make to RAW files shot in 2009.

Here's one looking easterly, if memory serves. Derived from a single frame with LR CC, not an HDR multi-frame image as frequently needed with the darkness down in the canyon basin

And here is our fearless leader at work

Welcome back Aaron!!

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins

looks like a really fun trip.

Still might be my most successful shot, and with three years of re-processing to get it to this.

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

It was challenging there , wasn't it?

Great job, Dan!

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin