Options

A Back Road, along a Blue Highway

El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
edited March 11, 2017 in Journeys

I always enjoy driving the blue highways whenever I am headed to a destination when time is not of the essence. I often find very interesting subjects, in some of the least likely places.

The following images are from a trip I took recently, where stopping for lunch at a corner cafe, in a town that was just a turn-off along a blue highway, brought me to a firetruck that had served its community well in years gone bye.

Maybe these images are not exactly of a "journey" but more of what one encounters along the way, while enjoying the journey.

I wanted to communicate the feeling of "time passing bye" with the subject and the image. Thus, the post-processing, artistic application of PS in images #1 and #2, an attempt to capture this passage of time.

Hope you enjoy them. As always, C&C welcomed and appreciated.

Image #1

Image #2

Image #3

Image #4

Image #5

Best to all!

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,181 moderator

Love No. 5, followed by 2. The first image, while a fine looking truck with great rust, has that unfortunate background. When I'm in the same boat, I'll use a wider stop and try to get only the front in of the vehicle in focus.

I'm liking the post processing, which serves the subject well in this case. Old vehicles are always interesting, and fire trucks moreso.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited July 20, 2017

Blue Highways, I love that kind of stuff too. Old rusty trucks, old motorcycles, old tractors and farm implements.

I think the first image needs to be shot from way down low, or something to deal with the background, unless the background was an important facet of the image. Here it just seems to be distracting.

I like #5 the best also. Good composition with clean image borders, and some strong diagonal lines.

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Thank you David and Pathfinder, I appreciate your feedback.

YES, I agree about the background in #1. Hindsight is always much more accurate and revealing. I should have gotten much lower or focused on the front of the vehicle.
    There was a tree growing through the center floorboard so I suspect that other than focusing on the front of the vehicle, I might have had to deal with some type of tree in the frame issue.

Great suggestions, thanks again for your feedback/comments!

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited July 20, 2017

A tree growing through your vehicle - I do understand the issue ;-)

This was my solution, back in 2005 when I shot this

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin