Options

The Church of St Lawrence - Eyam

FiestaRedFiestaRed Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins

Another image from my visit to the village of Eyam in Derbyshire. This one shows the church of St Lawrence.

The village of Eyam is well noted for an outbreak of bubonic plague which occurred there in 1665, in which the villagers chose to isolate themselves rather than let the infection spread. Formerly industrial, the village's economy now relies on the tourist trade and it is promoted as 'the plague village'.

Comments

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

I like this one a lot. The sky adds an ominous look to the surroundings. If I were to get nitpicky, the blue and white sign on the building should be cloned out. Even being little, it draws my eye.

Steve

Website
  • Options

Thanks for the comment Cygnus, really appreciated. With regards to the blue and white sign on the church, it is there to draw your eye, it's the village clock. The only one they've got.

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

I would have never thought clock. I just searched for this village online and found a fascinating article about in on the BBC site. I've learned something new today just because of your wonderful photo, thank you for that.

Steve

Website
  • Options

Hello Steve, thank you for the really kind words.

When you say you learned something new today, I too learned quite a lot when I first visited the village. As it is in our county, we were taught about the plague in school and all problems the villagers had experienced but I had never before visited the village. There is such an atmosphere around the church and the cottages it is very hard to explain.

• Options
    TasmanianTasmanian Registered Users Posts: 486 Major grins

Beautiful pic :)

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,181 moderator

A well thought out comp, with even the sky cooperating for you. Including the old graves in the picture dates the subject moreso - a good thing.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options

Tasmanian, David, thanks for the kind words. Really appreciated.