Product Releases through July 15, 2017

leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
edited July 23, 2017 in SmugMug Product News

I apologize to all of you who follow along here, looking for our recent release notes. I've been so busy working on some really exciting new features that I've slipped on my duties posting here. Well, here's a big dump for all of you so you know we're continuously working hard to improve SmugMug.

(some of my favorites marked in italics)

New Features:

• Windows, Android and iOS apps: now prevents uploading duplicate photos
  • Lightbox: Improved our detection and display for both retina and non-retina screens, ensuring your photos look amazing on any screen (and even more amazing on Retina displays)
  • Portfolio and Business accounts can now download a CSV of the items in their Pricelist
  • A number of items shipped from Loxley Colour will now ship with cheaper shipping options
  • A number of improvements to the W2 form for our customers that sell prints for a profit
  • Relaunched the Prints and Gifts product page (more updates coming soon to individual product pages)
  • A number of awesome new discounts for our customers on the ClubSmug page
  • No longer require a credit card for shopping carts that are $0 (for example, when offering a free digital download)
  • Increased the character length on the "Nice Name" URL of your galleries
  • Launched an app for the macOS, allowing you to upload photos straight from your computer.
  • Removed Flash from Stats (woo! We're getting rid of flash in as many places as we can)
  • New MetalPrints (including Curved Metals) from EZPrints
  • _New "Button" Content Block, allowing you to place buttons anywhere on your site)
  • Updates to the Logo Content Block to add a mask around an image (for example, to use a beautiful looking profile photo as your "logo")
  • 2 beautiful new Designs using the new logo and button content blocks

Fixes:

• Improved how the Organizer displays Folders and Galleries with many items in them
  • Fixed an issue in the Lightbox when launched within the Organizer that was causing links not to work
  • Comments: Improved logging in using a Facebook or Google to leave comments
  • iOS: A number of bug fixes (see the App Store for more specific details)
  • macOS: A number of bug fixes (see the App Store for more specific details)
  • Android: A number of bug fixes (see the Play Store for more specific details)
  • Fixed an issue with resizing animated GIF's
  • Fixed an issue with Event Favorites being saved on Custom Domains
  • Moved SmugVault customers photos from Amazon servers to SmugMug's servers, in preparation for future improvements
  • Improvements to Folder Uploading, especially when uploading large galleries
  • Fixed an issue with the "Custom URL" field on a number of the content blocks
  • Improved changing Watermark settings on your galleries, individually and in bulk
  • Fixed an issue with Gallery Cover Photo repositioning if the screen had been scrolled
  • Fixed an issue with vertical videos
  • Updated the default "Max Display Size": Business and Portfolio accounts default to X3, Basic and Power default to "All but Original"

Other:

• Ended our integration with Adobe Photoshop Elements. We recommend all PSE users try out our awesome Lightroom Plugin!
  • Removed the option to send a link to your phone to upload photos. We loved the feature, but none of you were using it :(
dGrin Afficionado
Former SmugMug Product Team
aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Beginner grinner AnsbachPosts: 0 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2017

[Moderator edit: I've gone ahead and merged this post with my post on Product Releases through July 15, 2017, since your post prompted me to make the longer post. Thanks for reminding me! -leftquark]

It's been quite a while since your last "Product Releases" post and I wonder if there is still something in progress. In my opinion it's pretty quiet. I only got an announcement today, that my account will be renewed soon and that there is a increase of the subscription fee. Don't missunderstand me. I am happy with SmugMug. But something new (there are so many feature requests) would be great. ;-) Cheers! Bernd

• leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited July 23, 2017

We are definitely hard at work, constantly, improving SmugMug. In fact, we've been so hard at work that I've fallen behind in my monthly posts and I apologize for that. I've been meaning to catch up and post all of the things we've improved on SmugMug recently.

We have a great list of things in work, from improvements to our apps, to the display of photos, the shopping cart, to improvements to uploading. Additionally we have teams hard at work on a number of the behind-the-scenes things that make your photos load as fast as possible and keeping your photos safe. We've been adding new print products, improving the discounts we offer to all of you on "ClubSmug" and much more.

Let me try to find some time this week to update the Product Releases.
    [Edit: ok, I've gone ahead and made the post ... and merged the 2 threads]

Some of my favorite things recently:

• New print products (like Curved MetalPrints from EZPrints)
    • Improvements to our iOS and Android apps to resolve a number of the most frustrating bugs
    • Improvements for our Pro's who can now offer coupons on individual items
    • Windows and Mac desktop apps to make it easier to upload your photos to SmugMug
    • Updated the Stats pages to remove the need for the Flash plugin
    • Improvements to the Logo content block and a new "Button" content block
    • 2 brand new, beautiful designs for you to choose from
    • Folder Uploading in the Organizer, so you don't have to individually create galleries if they're already created on your computer

And so much more!

dGrin Afficionado
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins

@leftquark said:

We have a great list of things in work, from improvements to our apps, to the display of photos, the shopping cart, to improvements to uploading. Additionally we have teams hard at work on a number of the behind-the-scenes things ...

Let me hope the things in your post from November 2014 (!) at https://dgrin.com/discussion/comment/1978614/#Comment_1978614 are still on the list. Even the second item never got fully worked*, and the third remains at the top of my Smugmug wishlist.

(* On a page with a F/G/P block, the sequence Customize > Wrench on the F/G/P > Items > (no changes at all) > Done > Done > Publish will alphabetize the entries in the FGP block if they weren't before. This is not new; it was described and acknowledged back in 2014. If (and only if) you are alert, this unwanted reorder is avoidable with a Cancel.)

Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins

Most of those changes are still planned as part of a rewrite to the Picker (the thing that lets you pick the photos).

dGrin Afficionado
  • JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins

@leftquark said:
    Most of those changes are still planned as part of a rewrite to the Picker (the thing that lets you pick the photos).

Good to hear. I (and presumably others) will welcome the improvements when they come.

Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins

Still cursing every time I upload a picture to a gallery and it is dropped all the way to the bottom instead of at the top where I want it.

See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

@dennismullen said:
    Still cursing every time I upload a picture to a gallery and it is dropped all the way to the bottom instead of at the top where I want it.

Maybe try Customize > Gallery Settings > Appearance > Sort By...

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins

@David_S85 said:
    Maybe try Customize > Gallery Settings > Appearance > Sort By...

That's fine but if you want to arrange your pictures you need to Sort Manually.

See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com