Pele - Goddess of Fire

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
edited July 27, 2017 in Landscapes

Aloha beautiful people!

Hawaiian fire goddess, Pele, gave us a pretty great show last week during our visit to neighboring Big Island. Located on the southern flank of Mauna Loa (largest mountain in the world), Kilauea remains the most active volcano on the planet, adding new coastline to the island daily.

Featured below are a handful of my favorites from a morning lava boat tour. We checked in at 4:30am, rode in 5-8ft rollers for 17mi in the dark, and enjoyed sunrise at the flow before heading back.

Mahalo for viewing!

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

How awesome! That experience needs to go on my "must do" list.

Very interesting set of photos. I think my favorite is 6, with 4 following a close second.

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Holy Smokes! 3, 5 and 7 are my faves! Great shooting.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Wow. My life sure seems dull now :wink:

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

Great set! Congrats for getting up that early. I wasn't even aware that such a tour was available. Next time I'm on the big island I'll have to make sure I catch one of these Lava Boat tours.
    side?

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

@roaddog52 said:
    Great set! Congrats for getting up that early. I wasn't even aware that such a tour was available. Next time I'm on the big island I'll have to make sure I catch one of these Lava Boat tours.
    side?

Thanks! We decided to sleep in the rental SUV at the boat ramp, which also provided a beautiful view of the stars. The boat ride is a blast, and it's not a big boat... Seats about 20 people. You will get wet, so I recommend a rain sleeve taped around the lens hood. I forgot to bring one, and I was sitting front row, which is the roughest and wettest. Thankfully I brought my Arc'Teryx rain shell, so the camera was tucked under during the boat ride.

The tour operates out of Pahoa, south of Hilo. The boat ramp is south of Pahoa a few miles. I recommend one of the area B&B lodges if you prefer a bed, which are surprisingly affordable, especially compared to Maui prices.

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Wow indeed. The glow in the darkness is a spectacular effect.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Wow! Incredible! Bravo!

Are these taken at night? Blue hour.......Cool! Anyone can go or it is special reservation? Mind blowing and you executed perfectly. These will look nice printed big!

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

I also like 3, 5, and 7 most, but all of these are quite nice.

Steve

Website
  • bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

As I check these out again, #6 is a standout. This looks like a dragon or some mythical sea creature spewing fire. wonderful!!! I would have to print that one, maybe on metal. B)

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Spectacular stuff. Thanks for sharing. What sort of sounds are associated with such a fireworks display?

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

@roaddog52 said:
    As I check these out again, #6 is a standout. This looks like a dragon or some mythical sea creature spewing fire. wonderful!!! I would have to print that one, maybe on metal. B)

I'm so glad you see it too!!! I wrestled with orders last night, and ended up ordering #7 on metal at 24x36. I'll keep ya'll posted as to how it turns out.

@black mamba said:
    Spectacular stuff. Thanks for sharing. What sort of sounds are associated with such a fireworks display?

Mahalo! The sounds were surprisingly quieter than I anticipated, although I really didn't know what to expect. lol There was a lot of popping and crackling as the lava met the ocean, and then an occasional explosion, but not like in the movies. More of a muffled, underwater type explosion.

@boco said:
    Heel indrukwekkende opnamen.

Much appreciated, Boco!

@Cygnus Studios said:
    I also like 3, 5, and 7 most, but all of these are quite nice.

That's great to hear, I like when people have multiple favorites! I ordered #7 last night as a print - 24in x 36in on metal, float mounted.

@Stumblebum said:
    Are these taken at night? Blue hour.......Cool! Anyone can go or it is special reservation? Mind blowing and you executed perfectly. These will look nice printed big!

Aloha Taz, and big Mahalos for the compliments! This is a tour that anyone can book, so long as your health is decent and you don't have neck/back/hip problems. The boat is not very large, seating only about 15-20 people. It's a full aluminum twin-sponson (catamaran style) type deck boat with 4 outboard 250hp motors. They offer tours from sunrise to sunset, but the best glow comes in the darker hours. Our trip was sunrise, meaning a 4:30am check-in time at the boat ramp. Beth and I slept at the public ramp in our car to avoid dealing with getting out of a comfy bed miles away. lol

The boat ride is 17miles from the ramp to the flow. We rode out through 4-6ft rolling swells in the dark, sat through a calmer water sunrise for about 45min or so at the flow, then rode back through 5-8ft rollers and rain. Beth and I sat on the front row, but it's the roughest and the wettest. By wet, think 'whitewater rafting' wet with sprays nailing you right in the mug. I kept my camera under my raincoat, but it's weather sealed and would've been fine. I just don't like cleaning glass every few minutes. I recommend a rain sleeve taped to around the lens hood for anyone going.

The company we used was Lave Ocean Tours. They will get you closer than any other boat out there (we got around 50-75ft away at times). You'll fly into Hilo, drive south to Pahoa for lodging, and the ramp is south of Pahoa. You load onto the boat at the ramp.

It's an epic experience, even if the lava isn't flowing much. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a thrilling time.

@Cornflake said:
    Wow indeed. The glow in the darkness is a spectacular effect.

I'll tell ya', I was pleasantly surprised by the outcome!

@denisegoldberg said:
    How awesome! That experience needs to go on my "must do" list.

Very interesting set of photos. I think my favorite is 6, with 4 following a close second.

@David_S85 said:
    Holy Smokes! 3, 5 and 7 are my faves! Great shooting.

Mahalo, Denise & David! I appreciate the encouragement, and yes, Denise, DO THIS!

@Richard said:
    Wow. My life sure seems dull now :wink:

Doh! No way, I watch your posts too, my friend, and it seems like a good life you're livin' :smiley:

JBR, that a million for dropping that info and advice! If I ever get a chance, I would be ready for sure! Cheers!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Many Grins

Breathtaking captures. Smaug is overdone and now I know how the entrance to Hell looks like. Fine to be prepared :D