Puffins from Lunga in the Hebrides

IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins

The puffins on Lunga are always very compliant :)

More here: https://ipc.smugmug.com/Wildlife/Birds/

Tagged:

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,234 moderator
    edited July 29, 2017

These are wonderful. My favorites are the sixth in the set with the puffin set against blue, the fourth (with the mouthful of greens) and the last one. I can imagine the two puffins as one looking in a mirror.

...I just took a look at your gallery too. Fabulous!

• IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins

Thank you Denise :)

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Many Grins
    edited July 29, 2017

Great captures of a wonderful bird but no. 4 looks peculiar to me. Where is the feet? May be the photo would benefit if you cut it into a portrait. I have tried it on a copy and think it's working. I am not a fan of the last one. The unsharp foreground is too dominant. It takes too much focus from the motive.

edited July 29, 2017

Thank you Jørgen for your critique. I respect your comments. It's a shame I lost the feet in the frame. There are a couple more within my gallery with feet though ☺️. I must admit I do like the oof foreground in the last but appreciate it may not be to everyone's taste.

How about this one? ☺️

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

Beautiful set. So hard to choose a favorite, but there is something about number 1 that I like most.

Steve

Website

@IPClark said:
    Thank you Jørgen for your critique. I respect your comments. It's a shame I lost the feet in the frame. There are a couple more within my gallery with feet though ☺️. I must admit I do like the oof foreground in the last but appreciate it may not be to everyone's taste.

How about this one? ☺️

You are right - looking closely at photos awakes ones taste and approach on photohandling. On the above photo the puffin is beautiful but my taste says: There is to much room at the top and the dark shadow (rest of another puffin) should be cloned away. No. 1+2+3+5+6 are really great. As said: I would crop no. 4 to a portrait. There is more than enough quality in your photo to do it and in my opinion you will get a photo that shows some great details. From my point of view the white spots in no. 7 is distracting. I would without hesitation clone them away. Did you say cheating? That's an endless discussion that starts with the way one handles the camera (for example long shutter speed, picture style and filters) :o

Hehe thanks again, it's nice to get a well detailed critique. I am away from home for a week but I'll visit your suggestions when I get back ☺️

edited July 30, 2017

PS. When I said "crop no. 4 to a portrait" I didn't mean, that the portrait format should be used. It's my experience, that bird photos lives best within the landscape format - also when the birds are upright. :)

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Great set ian!

However in some of them you have out of focus elements in bottom edge that can/should be cleaned up.....can either stretch them out, or crop. Cheers!

• cosmicrealitycosmicreality Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    Gorgeous light, colors, DOF, and sharpness on these puffins. 2, 5, and 6 are my favorites.

San Francisco wedding photographer. My portfolio: chocostudio.com/city-hall/