Options

Strait of Georgia, British Columbia

CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

From a recent jaunt. Criticism is always welcome.

A water spout. I'd never seen one.

Land, clouds and sky.

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator

I'm in awe! You have some wonderful shots here.

My favorite is 6. I love the colors of sunset, and my eye is really drawn to the land at the bottom along with the tall bird standing there. I love it!

• Options

Thanks very much, Denise. It's a treat for me to be able to photograph water and I had a blast doing so.

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

1, #2, #3, #5 and #6 are bow worthy! Congrats!!

For #4 some another dramatic element is needed.....maybe darkening around the rock to create bit of tunnel of light....

5 maybe opportunity to create pseudo abstract with puddles.....don't know....

Cheers Don!

• Options
    edited July 29, 2017

Thanks for the feedback and the critique, Taz.

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

Huge fan of water spouts, and you got that one really well. I have to say my favorite is number 5, something about that one that just gets my attention.

Steve

Website
  • Options

Thanks, Steve. I almost omitted number 5 but something about it kept grabbing me.

• Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Wowzer! These are all remarkable images, thank you so much for sharing. My favs are 2, 5 & 6.

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,912 moderator

@Cornflake said:
    Thanks, Steve. I almost omitted number 5 but something about it kept grabbing me.

5 is my favorite of the set--something about the light that appeals to me and the composition is good. I like the different bands in #3 but I wish there were fewer cloud bands in the middle. I''d be tempted to chop out a horizontal band from the middle so that it's easier to take in the bright top, gray middle and dark land all at once in a panoramic aspect.

• Options

JonaBeth, Richard. thanks. Richard, I see what you mean about 3. That area was grabbing my eye but it took me a while to see the potential for this kind of composition, and when I finally did my options were a bit limited.

• Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

Great set Don. I like them all, but I'm particular to all the layers in #3. I can relate to what Richard is saying, but there are so many subtleties in there that I would be able to decide what to remove and what to leave.

Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options

Thanks, Phil. I'm surprised but pleased that some of you like #3.

• Options
    Mare333Mare333 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    This is pretty amazing. Sunset is one of my favorite things ever and you captured it so beautifully. My favorites are 2 and 6. May I ask you what lens you used? I tried photographing the sun with 18-55mm lens setting it at 55mm but it seemed it was still not enough focal length to capture the sun adequately.
  • Options

Mare333, thanks for the kind words. Both shots were taken with a 17-40MM Canon lens. I've had it for years and it has served me well. I don't think there's a "right" focal length for such shots.