The 2017 Total Solar Eclipse (over USA) on Aug 21 Resource Thread

Comments

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

Cities and counties across Oregon are in full panic mode over the upcoming eclipse.

Our permits to photograph were pulled today. Our attorney, our clients, along with their attorneys are appealing but with just a couple of weeks before the eclipse, I highly doubt that any change of decision will be made.

We were going to shoot some off road ATV's with the eclipse in the background which would have been seriously cool in my opinion. At this point everyone is losing money and no one is happy.

Steve

Website
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins

@Allen said:
    So, when the eclipse goes total, I hear the filter is not needed. Any estimate what the exposure would be then?

Here's a nice exposure table: http://astropix.com/html/i_astrop/2017_eclipse/Eclipse_2017.html#Exposures

Chris
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Very useful! Thanks!

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins

I had posted this in Landscapes but probably should have been here.

I also just bought the 8x8 black polymer sheet from Thousand Oaks. I have to cover a 500 so starting with 10x10 piece of cardboard, cutting ~6 inch hole in middle, taping polymer sheet to it. Then gluing a collar/cylinder to back so I can slip over lens cap. This will be on before and after but removed at totality. I hear glasses are not needed at totality so why would filter on camera be needed then. Problem is, a whole new game, figuring out exposure without filter.

Luckily I'm in St. Louis so have many choices of spots. Might go to my daughters as it's 2m 15s totality there. That's driving past the 2m 40s spot but lots more private, what's 25sec, and I can stay overnight to avoid traffic.

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited August 4, 2017

My best exposures with the Thousand Oaks filter have been something close to:

Full or nearly full Sun
    Handheld with the 400 (non-IS) and full-frame
    ISO 400
    f/5.6
    1/1600

Tripod
    ISO 100
    f/5.6
    1/400

Still playing with 5 and 7 shot bracketing. You don't want the exposure too slow due to the movements of the Sun and the Moon relative to Earth. Also need to figure out a good starting exposure for full corona shots, which absolutely need to be a 5-stop or more bracketing due to the subtle tendrils of the corona. I'm thinking ISO 100 is not going to be an option for those, even with the tripod.

My plans have changed again. I found a camping site two thirteen miles north* of centerline in NW Nebraska. They have more spots available - PM me if you need the info. The counties there are also in panic mode and are suggesting that everyone needs to be in place at least 24 hours in advance, or the roads will be so clogged there will be no traffic movement whatsoever. All local roadways in more remote areas are just one lane in either direction and one accident (and there will be) will shut down an entire county highway system for a good portion of a day. Gasoline, food and bathrooms will be a problem. Bring supplies for 2-3 days they say. Eeek!

*I lose one second per mile when moving off the centerline. I will get 2min 18 seconds of full eclipse time instead of 2min30sec.

My Smugmug
    edited August 3, 2017

OK. Racking my brains on this one. Got a 5D3. I want to shoot a sequence of 5 or 7 bracketed RAW shots, all fired off from one shutter press.

HDR mode does 3 shots only and builds a JPEG, in sequence from one shutter press. Close, but not desired.

I have tried:
    Exposure Comp./AEB Setting to 5 one-stop apart shots and saved this setting by pressing SET.
    Shutter to continuous mode (high or low speed cont.)
    Number of bracketed shots = 5
    Bracketing auto cancel = OFF

All of these settings only let me fire off one shot at a time, from one shutter press each. Again, I want the camera to do 5 or 7 in sequence by itself with one press.

Any ideas?

My Smugmug
    edited August 4, 2017

Still looking for a simple answer about the above, but for the time being I have a backup plan. I have a Velo intervalometer that can trigger any number of sequential shots with the press and slide lock. I just tested this funtionality. I've had it for years, but only used it for a basic trigger without the batteries.

My Smugmug

@David_S85 said:
    OK. Racking my brains on this one. Got a 5D3. I want to shoot a sequence of 5 or 7 bracketed RAW shots, all fired off from one shutter press.

This is probably not what you want... but I downloaded the following for my Mac: http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/Solar_Eclipse_Maestro_Photography_Software.html

You can script it to do anything you want, and even control 4 camera bodies. There are some example scripts included. But you need to have a laptop attached to your camera (which I plan to do).

I just hope I have time to give it a test run. If I can get it setup like I want, I won't have to worry that much about my eclipse shots (except removing / re-adding the solar filter), and concentrate on enjoying it. It's really worth enjoying...

Chris
    edited August 4, 2017

Thanks, Chris. Not bringing a laptop. Just the cameras and a few lenses and accessories. I'm camping in a sort of primitive way (at likely 90 degree heat and no shade), no electric. There will be a bathroom and probably running water. With removing the filter and placing it back on in the dark, probably nervously fumbling, and changing camera settings 3 or more times during the entire eclipse, chimping, and dealing with surrounding crowds, I really want to keep all camera stuff simple so I can concentrate on shooting quickly and viewing it with my own eyes as well.

My wife thinks I am completely nuts*.

• 50 million other nuts also have spouses who think the way she does about this event.
    My Smugmug

@David_S85 said:

My wife thinks I am completely nuts*.

• 50 million other nuts also have spouses who think the way she does about this event.

I guess I'm lucky, my wife is almost as crazy and planned our entire trip! We saw one together in 2001 in Zambia, and it was indescribably awesome. I'm just glad you're going. I don't think you'll regret it!

Chris
    edited August 4, 2017

1 - Looks like the trip is back on with the new plan. 2 - Praying to Mother Nature daily to come through for all of us. 3 - That, and clear roads in and out of the 70-mile wide crazy zones.

1 likely
    2 hopefully
    3 Nah. Wife will be justified in her concern.

My Smugmug
    edited August 4, 2017

Re: proper middle exposure in 7-shot bracketed sequence

http://www.mreclipse.com/SEphoto/SEphoto.html

What is Mr. Eclipse referring to in the above linked chart in the middle of his page with total phase corona as, example: "Corona - 1.0 (R subS)"

If I was at ISO 400 at f/5.6, what might be the suggested middle shutter speed? Forgive me but I'm not good with the maths.

According to his chart, the range at 400 and 5.6 varies from 1/2000th to 1/2 second. And I think he's suggesting 1/30th as a middle exposure. Am I reading that correctly? That's one hell of a range in stops! 12 stops diff?

My Smugmug

Yes, I think your correct. 1/30 at ISO 400 f/5.6. The "problem" with shooting an eclipse is that there is a large dynamic range in the items you may want to image. Bailey's Beads are really bright (and fleeting), the outer Corona not so much. That's why the big boys use multiple cameras.

This is going to be the most photographed solar eclipse in history. So if I don't get the exact shot I want, I'm sure someone near me will (and I will be jealous!).

Chris
    edited August 5, 2017

If I don't get the shot I want (or it is storming), after driving 2,000 miles, taking a week off of work, all the planning, spending big $$$ to do so, if there is a bar in Hemmingford (that's a top secret by the way) open on Monday afternoon they will be busy and will also be getting my business, and I don't even drink.

Never too soon to plan for 2024, renting the cabins years ahead and gathering like-minded folks to share in the cost, the party and the experience, if I live so long.

My Smugmug

Wow, you're going all in! Awesome! Welcome to the club... no matter what happens, you will have a good story to tell.

2024 is a bit trickier since it's in spring time, so there's an even greater chance of inclement weather. I'm lucky enough that I have a friend who grew up in Cleveland, and I'm hoping he'll find us a place to stay somewhere nearby. Niagara Falls will be absolutely crazy.

Chris

+1. I'm in. Who do I mail my deposit to?

My Smugmug

:D

Testing my setup today, minus the laptop...

Fields of view with lens set at (approximately) 100, 135, 200, 300, 400. This is with the TC 1.4x on a crop body, 7D Mk II.

Quickly processed shot. ISO 400, f/8, 1/640.

Here's a pullback

Chris
    edited August 6, 2017

Nice! And you got the big spot! And you have a tracking drive! And a Smugmug strap! All you need now is a cloudless sky.

Reminds me I need to try the 1.4x TC with my stuff too. And then remember to pack it.

My Smugmug
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins

Out practicing a bit this afternoon. I have a 5D3, 100-400mm and 1.4TC for the closeups, but I want to try for one of those "string of images" shots. My other 5D3 with the 24-105mm lens, intervalometer shooting images every 5 minutes for two hours, stacked in Photoshop.

Learned a few things...

• Focus is tough when the sun takes up such a small part of the image - I'll probably prefocus on a distant object and lock it.
    • Five minutes is a good interval to get separation between images.
    • Shooting at 24mm leaves a lot of blank image space, as can be seen on the uncropped second image.
    • For some reason, for a number of these, the intervalometer ignored the 5 minute interval, and shot two images one immediately after the other. Out of 24 shots, I only have 16 unique images. I need to figure out why that is happening - or at least confirm my other intervalometer doesn't do that.

Looks like I'll need to play with it a bit more.

edited August 9, 2017

Evaluating whether I will use my 1.4x TC. Focusing is way easier without, since my camera can use the 9 center-most points, and the edges of that group match the Sun's diameter at 400mm. With the TC, and at f/8.0, my 5D3 can only use the dead center cross type focus. That's OK, and I was amazed it auto-focused at all with a 1/100,000 drop in light through the Thousand Oaks filter AND the light loss of the TC. I might be worried that the 560mm focal length with the TC might not leave enough room for the full corona.

Anyways, here are some 100% crops (not the entire frame) of with and without the TC. I would appreciate comments on the IQ differences in these two setups.I can't see the difference and hoping younger eyes might.

1 -- cropped from 400mm, ISO 100, f/5.6, 1/640

2 -- cropped from 400mm with 1.4x TC, ISO 100 f/8.0, 1/320

My Smugmug
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Obligatory xkcd:

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

I'm so looking forward to all of your shots next week. B):)

I envy all you _Eclipse Nerds _and wish I had the talent and wherewithal to capture the event. It's only a day's trip up to the Oregon totality field, but I would guess I'd have to start on the Friday before - just hearing about the expected traffic! So have fun everyone, good weather, good shooting and bring those shots back to the forum :p

edited August 16, 2017

^ I am leaving the friday before, and I'll be in place 24 hours ahead, God willing. It is the return trip I have anxiety over. 50 million people all driving home along mostly I-80 at the same time. I might wait it out one more day if they let me stay at the campground.

Good sky. That's what we all need. I'll also be shooting video, my first ever, so if we only have overcast skies, the very least I'll get is the surrounding area darkening and then getting bright again, along with the oooh's and aahhs' from the crowd.

My Smugmug
    edited August 15, 2017

I just discovered something today. I checked out today's sun spots in below link and it looks like 2671 has rotated maybe 30 degrees.
    https://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/synoptic/sunspots_earth/mdi_sunspots.jpg

Found this testing out my setup today. 7D 500mm+1.4x

Crop of above photo

gallery: http://www.photosbyat.com/Other/Eclipse-2017

edited August 16, 2017

Allen, I got the same spots in the lower left when out this morning. I might be turning into a sun spot spotter!

Your crop looks awesome! What are you using?

Spaceweather:
    http://www.spaceweather.com/images2017/15aug17/hmi1898.gif?PHPSESSID=9al9ea3fl00r5q8oqsnnrtln56

My Smugmug

@David_S85 said:
    Allen, I got the same spots in the lower left when out this morning. I might be turning into a sun spot spotter!

Your crop looks awesome! What are you using?

Spaceweather:
    http://www.spaceweather.com/images2017/15aug17/hmi1898.gif?PHPSESSID=9al9ea3fl00r5q8oqsnnrtln56

Using? equipment or software? Did you click info/map? 7D orig. 1.4x III
    I had to use AF as I could not see anything to manually focus on. Tried "live" but could not position body to view, too old.
    Think I might have to remove the 1.4 to get corona in frame.

edited August 18, 2017

Added today's sun showing sun spots.
    http://www.photosbyat.com/Other/Eclipse-2017

Between these two times the spots have rotated clockwise from 8:30 to 9:30 position.
    12:40:45pm CDST

2:09:26pm CDST

edited August 18, 2017

Those are some nice spots! Should make the eclipse more interesting. Hope you get some good shots Monday, Allen, Moose and Chris.

Almost 100% chance of storms at noon where I'm going. Kinda bummed. I don't have a backup plan. Couldn't move around the country the day of anyway. Now they're saying 1 of 5 Americans will be placing themselves in the path of the eclipse (64M). Plus 10M Canadians coming down. Plus maybe 15 million from other countries. Yeah, that's going to make I-80 and all parallel routes a mess. Yikes. Going to be a massive news story, for sure.

My Smugmug
    edited August 18, 2017

New photos starting here.
    http://www.photosbyat.com/Other/Eclipse-2017/i-TdBfn72

Picked up the low "Event" chair today at Cabela's, much more comfortable.

• GattoGatto Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins

Hi guys today I was able to get around and test my filter made out of Baader AstroSolar film, I only took 2 shots with the 500mm no TC on a full frame 5d MKII , as i am build the next one for my 400mm.
    I was thinking I might use the 7d and 7d MKII with TC on both lenses... would that be 2 much for the corona during the full?

Same image different crop and try to make the orange look of the Thousand Oak filter :smile: