Options

My new website withwildlife photos

Spinner of TalesSpinner of Tales Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins

Working on a redesign of my website, you can see it at www.SOTPStudio.com. If you click on my Facebook link there it will take you to over two hundred pictures for your viewing pleasure.
Still a work in progress but I hope you enjoy it.

Spinner

Comments

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

One thing that jumps out at me is the page is too wide for my monitor.

Steve

Website
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2017

Hi Spinner - here are some thoughts. I hope this doesn't seem harsh, but I think there is room for improvement to show off your beautiful shots. I wish you well in the redesign - it's a lot of work!!

• Home page is hard to read with the background. The white lettering fades into the lighter green background causing a difficult read (and hard on the eyes).

• I would suggest you make your Home page more simple and put the text on an About page.
      • The Gallery link does not appear to work. And when you do move photos into this area, it looks like you have more than one subject, so Galleries would be more appropriate - and displaying them by subject would help the visitor navigate your photos
      • For some reason, the links only show the hand icon on certain letters. Not sure what is going on here, but the entire word should be a link.
      • I would suggest that you make your books and Blog go to a new page or a new tab - either that or give your visitors a way back to the Home page (or all pages) with links. Currently, one must use the Back arrow - not very user friendly.
      • The testimonials on your book page are hard to read - making the text larger would help - they may have to be in a single column to do this.
      • Is that your home address on the Contact page? If so, you may want to rethink having your home address broadcasted on the Internet.
      • I would move the second and third sentences on your Contact page to the top - rather than starting out with negatives (personal preference)
      • Is the website done through Smugmug? If so, there are lots of tools available for some of these suggestions.

To see where I'm coming from, here is my site. It doesn't reflect you very well, and I'm not suggesting you use this design, but it does reflect some of the things I've listed above.
    https://jowest.smugmug.com/.

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator

I agree with Jo & Steve's comments. I will almost never read the content of a site when the letters are shown over a busy background.

I'm a bit confused by your use of a new URL to enter the site when the URL on the address bar immediately flips to what I assume is your previous URL. If you show a domain name as text it should match that in the address bar.

Using a wide starting point doesn't work for me. I will happily scroll up and down; I will not scroll sideways. Your homepage and contact pages scrolls\ right/left if I don't have the window maximized - and I almost never maximize browser windows.

Once I go to a page other than your homepage I see a static page with no connection to the rest of your site. I recommend placing a consistent menu on every page of your site.

• Options

Working on a redesign of my website! Not finished yet, but thanks for the input.
    Spinner

• Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins

Sorry Spinner - I thought you were asking for input. I may have gotten carried away with my comments.

• Options

No problem at all input was needed that's why I posted it unfinished. Doing it myself and needed suggestions as to how it looked to people.
    Spinner :D