The 2017 Total Solar Eclipse (over USA) on Aug 21 Resource Thread

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins

Nice shots, the spots look good.

There's a focal length vs image size chart here.
    http://www.mreclipse.com/SEphoto/SEphoto.html

I suspect I will have to shoot the corona without the TC using a crop sensor. But I think the only way to really know is to remove the TC and take a couple shots.

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins

@David_S85 said:
    Those are some nice spots! Should make the eclipse more interesting. Hope you get some good shots Monday, Allen, Moose and Chris.

Thanks David, good luck to you (and all others), too! Don't give up all hope, when the eclipse starts, the weather can change dramatically. We've had a great trip so far to Zion, Bryce, and the Tetons, so as long as it gets dark (and it will), I'll be happy. :smile:

Chris
  • GattoGatto Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins

today with Crop sensor and TC

Quick processing...

Diamond Ring

Prominences and some Beads

Chris
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins

I was in Tellico Plains, TN, near the NC border. We had perfectly clear skies and 2:38 of totality. What an amazing experience!

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

WOW!!!

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,763 moderator

Chris and Moose, wonderful! Truly envious!

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Thank you! Chris, those are beautiful images!

Here are some of the people out yesterday...

This is the local postmaster. They created a postcard with a Milky Way photo and the special eclipse postage stamp, and he was hand cancelling them using a special eclipse day postmark. They said only 7 locations in the nation had been authorized these postmarks, and Tellico Plains was the only one not in a major metropolitan area.

I spent the first ten minutes trying to figure out why I wasn't seeing the sun, very frustrating.
    Can you see the difference in the photos below? Maybe remove the cardboard protective cover?

No photos till later but here's the gallery. http://www.photosbyat.com/Other/Eclipse-2017

Just started processing. Looks like I got some flares when darkening the photo.

Gallery: http://www.photosbyat.com/Other/Eclipse-2017

edited August 24, 2017

Lesson learned. Get out of 10 sec. time delay and switch to burst mode at the time of "in and out" of totality.
    Duh, that stuff happens fast.

Just had to try this

edited August 26, 2017

!

30 Miles east of Nashville...flew in at 9:30 Monday, had breakfast and got to the spot without problem , no traffic jams. Afterwards I got back to Nashville with 15 extra minutes of traffic slow down. Media Hype about APOCALYPTIC Traffic was just wrong.

UNREAL EXPERIENCE, I am so glad I went to TN even if it was 2 minutes and 30 odds seconds it felt like it only lasted a few seconds :-}
    P.S. I as well forgot to remove the filter at Full..lol

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited September 6, 2017

Looking good, guys!

I just returned last night from 2,000 miles of driving. It was awesome! Pics and videos to follow. I also got the magnetic storm prominence at the 1:30 position during the coronal phases. Very glad that I bracketed those with 7 shots each. Those sets were a scary guess and trust in exposures. Turned out the second of the seven was the better. Lots of fun processing to do with all of these.

How do you embed a SM video on the forum? Has anyone figured that out yet?

So the following is unedited raw footage of just before totality, the blackness setting in, and then getting real bright again. 8.5 minutes. A visitor next to me shows his point and shoot result at the very end. The "crowd" reaction is the best part. Trying to thread a 77mm filter back on the 400 in absolute total darkness is really not as much fun as it looks, even with a red head light.

link to video...
    https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-qBDwndB/0/be0a7ece/1920/i-qBDwndB-1920.mp4

Something quick to post here

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

That video is awesome! ... and somewhat funny.

edited September 6, 2017

@Allen said:
    That video is awesome! ... and somewhat funny.

And it needs some spooky techno beat music too. I need to remember how to make an iMovie presentation with music and photos added over the audio tracks.

My Smugmug

Love seeing everyone's shots and video! It was a great event. I'm just starting to catch up on things. I'm glad you didn't get stormed out, David! Worth it after all, huh?

I wished that I had time to zoom out and get the planet(s) that were visible. But I'm happy with my results. 2.5 minutes isn't much, but it actually felt a lot longer than my last eclipse (~4 minutes), because I didn't futz with the camera too much (just filter off and back on).

I need to update my avatar with a totality shot! :smile:

Chris

The Sun still has some good action going on. Shot a few minutes ago, shows a boatload of sunspot activity. Pretty awesome that the Thousand Oaks filter has continuing use.

My Smugmug
    edited September 6, 2017

Here's a couple more of the corona and totality. I bracketed 7 shots at a time. These are a couple of the extremes. The Regulus star system below left of the Sun in the first.

Regulus

Totality with Prominences

My Smugmug

Very nice, everyone. Glad everyone was safe.

ziggy53

Here's one which took a bit of work...

Circular Progression

Chris

^ Wow! I'm dizzy looking at that, Chris. I'm glad that isn't a spinning GIF.

My Smugmug
    edited September 7, 2017

So, I have yet to dismount my 400 from my 5D3 and inspect the innards of my lens, or my sensor. Seems to be still taking pictures OK. I really don't want to see any eclipse damage like what Lens Rentals was reporting.

My Smugmug

As long as you had your filters on within about 10-15 seconds of totality on either side, you should be fine. I didn't even think about it, and took many shots on the way home after the eclipse. I didn't see any aberrations while editing.

Chris

I just shot some stuff with my 24-105, and all seems well - as in no 1/2 inch holes in the sensor.

My Smugmug
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins

I thought there would be more eclipse photos showing up here.

I dashed back to the US for the event, hiked up to Sawtooth Lake in Idaho. Ran into Matthew Saville up there, recognized him from the forum, and a couple of posts elsewhere when I was googling for the trip, like, how to respectfully refuse to gate check a bag full of camera gear and lithium batteries.

Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.

The entire necklace. Sweet!

ziggy53
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Wow shots all!

• SaltForkSaltFork Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins

It's been a long time since I last posted on DGrin but I thought this event warranted it. On Eclipse Day I was on the fourth day of a five-day, 45-mile backcountry hike in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. We stopped on a big rock outcropping in South Cascade Canyon for lunch about 11am to rest, have lunch and take in the show. We were directly below 13,776-ft Grand Teton. Normally I shoot with a Canon 1Dx but the length of the trip and the remote location dictated that I go for something a little lighter. These were taken with a Canon g5x Point and Shoot. I was very pleased with the performance of the little camera on the five-day hike - especially because it weighed less than a pound. If you are interested in seeing the rest of the five-day trip, go to http://www.saltforkimages.com/Travel-and-Nature/Trips-to-Idaho-and-Wyoming/Teton-Crest-Trail-and-Eclipse-Day-August-2017/