Options

Abandoned

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Very nice Tom! You keep finding those!

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,236 moderator

I really like the detail in the 2nd photo, very nice.

• Options
    edited July 27, 2017

@Stumblebum said:
    Very nice Tom! You keep finding those!

Thanks, Taz. I admit that I diligently hunt down these old farm/homestead structures. Their numbers are dwindling and I want to record as many as I can. They speak so loudly to a part of our history that's rapidly disappearing.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options

@denisegoldberg said:
    I really like the detail in the 2nd photo, very nice.

Thanks for the visit, Denise. I have a feeling that you, too, would enjoy shooting in this type of environment.

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

I love these old houses. It is amazing to think that a family lived in such a small place. I've not seen any houses like these since moving to the west coast.

Steve

Website
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,236 moderator

@black mamba said:
    ...I have a feeling that you, too, would enjoy shooting in this type of environment.

I think you're probably right about that Tom. I just need to find the right spot.

• Options

@Cygnus Studios said:
    I love these old houses. It is amazing to think that a family lived in such a small place. I've not seen any houses like these since moving to the west coast.

Occasionally, Steve, I am fortunate enough to get some sort of history to the old structures that I shoot. In one such case, a home that was probably 600 square feet max had seen 13 kids raised there. Large families were the norm in those days and I'm sure that the above case was not all that extreme. No electricity, no plumbing, scrambling for stuff to wear and eat....life wasn't a walk in the park for those folks.

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

@black mamba said:
    Occasionally, Steve, I am fortunate enough to get some sort of history to the old structures that I shoot. In one such case, a home that was probably 600 square feet max had seen 13 kids raised there. Large families were the norm in those days and I'm sure that the above case was not all that extreme. No electricity, no plumbing, scrambling for stuff to wear and eat....life wasn't a walk in the park for those folks.

I was the first generation of my family not raised in the hills of Tennessee or W. Virginia. Still have plenty of family there. My mother was one of 9 kids raised in a two room house that resembled the ones in your photos. Clap board with a metal roof. Thankfully my parents moved out of the hills right after I was born. While I spent many a summer in those hills, and it is as pretty as any place I've been, I can't say that I would enjoy living there.

Steve

Website
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

Another nice find Tom. I think it's great that you are recording these old places before they succumb to nature. I've had the same idea for old barns, but life seems to get in the way.
    Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options

@roaddog52 said:
    Another nice find Tom. I think it's great that you are recording these old places before they succumb to nature. I've had the same idea for old barns, but life seems to get in the way.
    Phil

It's really good to hear from you, Phil. My wife says that if I stop and jump out of the car to shoot another old building, she'll drive off without me. She's kidding, right ?

Stay safe,

Tom

• Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

@black mamba said:

@roaddog52 said:
    Phil

It's really good to hear from you, Phil. My wife says that if I stop and jump out of the car to shoot another old building, she'll drive off without me. She's kidding, right ?

Stay safe,

Tom

Tom, my wife said the same thing, with a smile on her face, Mmm, maybe it was a grimace. :D

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

Nice finds Tom! You should make a book of all thes gems you shoot!

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options

@redleash said:
    Nice finds Tom! You should make a book of all thes gems you shoot!

It's great to hear from you, Lauren. Two years ago, I was working with a college professor that was going to publish a book about the Appalachians and the early settlers of that region. He and I had isolated about 20 of my photos for inclusion in the book. Unfortunately, his grant money for the project didn't materialize as he had expected and the project died. Oh well. It was at least a learning experience for me if I ever decide to take a run at such a book by myself. I was encouraged by some of this professor's associates in that they commented that my collection of photos was the best they had seen relative to the subject matter. I do intend, one day, to donate my entire body of this work to the Appalachian State University in Boone, NC.

• Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

Hi Tom - thanks for the note. I am sorry your book fell through but it sounds like a good experience nonetheless. What a nice idea you have, donating your images to the school. I would like to visit back in those hills you roam around in.

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com