Mini-Challenge #251: Weather

bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins
edited August 5, 2017 in The Dgrin Challenges

For this challenge, I would like to see photos with a theme of weather. For the last 20 years I have been working on the optical instruments that go on weather satellites. I am now about to retire. So, in honor of the career that has kept me in cameras and lenses I would like to see photos that show weather. Preferably the weather in action, so to speak. The more drama or moodiness the better. :) I will also consider photos showing the impact of weather.

This mini will end Friday August 25 at 6 PM PDT/9 PM EDT

Mostly, in my experience anyway, photographers try to shoot when the light is best, so they don't always have too many photos of inclement or dramatic weather. At least, I don't have too many photos in this theme, but here are a few. I would hope to see better than what I have collected over the years.

Mountain Fog

Fog at Neuschwanstein

Blowing Snow at Many Parks Curve, Rocky Mountain National Park

A break in the rain, Hanalei Bay, Kauai

And, to honor my father who taught me to think before pressing the darned button (he didn't say 'darned'), and about apertures, exposure, and all the technical stuff, here is a photo he took in 1974. It is of the break-up of one of the 1974 tornadoes in Ohio (the so called super outbreak). This is the end stage of the tornado that started in Indiana, went through Kentucky, and then crossed to Ohio at Saylor Park where it became an F5 tornado. My father took this from our back yard after the tornado had passed. I don't think my mom would let him out to get it any earlier. I didn't scan the slide until 35 years after he took the photo, so the quality isn't that good. I tried to restore it a little. Still, it's an homage rather than a great photo.

Hah! If anyone checked my previous challenge entries they probably thought I would pick cats.

And if anyone is interested in the images I help (in a very small way) make as part of my work, a few can be seen at this location.
https://www.nesdis.noaa.gov/content/goes-16-color-composite-images

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up incase the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

~~Barbara

Comments

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins

Great idea. I have been trying to take a photo of snow or rain for years. I do also have at least one photo of fog if I have not used it before.

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

OOOO..another fun challenge! I'll start!

1. Alaskan winter day

2. St. Kitts rainstorm

3. Idaho electrical storm

edited August 7, 2017

It took me awhile before I could find

1) Fog in Oriental (North Carolina)

2) Snowfall

3) Rainbow in the Netherlands

A rainbow is pretty cliche, but I wasn't happy with the actual rain photos that I've taken recently

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2017

Good subject for a mini. Here are mine:

1) A couple walkin' in the snow.. Blizzard on the Columbia Glacier in British Columbia.

2) Angry clouds and storm at sea near Capitola, Ca.

3) Bridal Veil in the Fog and storm. Yosemite, CA.

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Great theme!

Storm at sea

Clouds over Iceland

Snow in the Ardennes

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

Wow, great entries so far. I can see this is going to be hard to judge. Thirteen days to go, and I am hoping to see more entries showing weather in all its glory. Wild or peaceful; bright, gray, or colorful, all is good.

~~Barbara
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

Great theme - I'm really enjoying all the entries. We're traveling right now so I probably won't have time to enter but it's fun to watch!

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

Wonderful theme, and great images.

The aftermath of a particularly nasty ice storm this winter. The birds were wisely well hidden, so I didn't get an image of a bird trying to figure out the ice-coated suet feeder

I am located at the end of a coastal valley, with mountains rising on three sides. As a result we get a lot of interesting interplay of light and cloud. I was especially taken with the way the light interacted with the bands of rain in this image

This is my favorite "weather story" image. I was (rather obviously?) in the rear seat of the canoe, while we slogged through a rather vicious rain storm on the Bowron Lakes in British Columbia. Thank heaven for my trusty waterproof Lumix TS5!

• go_zoominggo_zooming Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    Hi! That's awesome! How can I post a photo here?
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

@go_zooming said:
    Hi! That's awesome! How can I post a photo here?

New members have a waiting period before they can start posting images. You need to comment on photos and interact a few times before it will unlock for you.

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2017

Here's a couple from me - but this time I'm posting just for fun - please don't consider these as entries.

1) a rainy day along the Canal du Midi in southern France

2) A foggy afternoon in the Alps (Bischofshofen, Austria)

3) A stormy day at the resort (Antalya, Turkey)

• GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,728 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2017

Just in time ...

1. Result of a storm that hit the east of Germany in 2005

1. Waiting for the rain to stop

1. A frosty morning

Love the frosty morning - I'm always trying to get that kind of frost photos

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited August 25, 2017

Sharing a few photos for fun, but please don't consider as entries. Just returned from one trip and will be heading out again....

1) Impending Rain (iPhone photo taken our last day on Sanibel Island in July)

2) Elk Grazing through the snow at Rocky Mountain National Park

3) Cairnwood Mansion with Freezing Rain Covering the Snow

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

Thanks to all who posted. This challenge is now closed. It is going to be difficult to judge, but I will get the results out this weekend.

~~Barbara