Options

New York City - The Bitter End Bar

Mare333Mare333 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins

Hello everyone I'm Mare and I am really happy to have found this forum where I can share and talk with my fellow photographers. Today I'd like to submit an image for your critique. It's nothing special when you look at it - it's just a bar in New York City. However this is a very famous bar, where many famous musicians have performed. I had to shoot from the front rather than at an angle because it is adjacent to other businesses. I am planning to photograph many landmarks in Greenwich Village New York City and create a book featuring these landmarks and present them to those unfamiliar with them, so there will be captions included with the photographs. I am really interested to hear your feedback about lighting and exposure. Also what about distortion. I think I got rid of it pretty well in photoshop. Thank you very much and I look forward to hearing your critiques.

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Light is flat....
    While it would require cropping into the building, I would not want that white edge on the left....unless either more of it was included in the comp in meaningful way.....right now it is way to thin and huge distraction....

At night you might be able to create more dramatic images....

If you can incorporate some sad looking or fragile figure entering the door.....while it is slightly ajar.....then you can add vignetting all around......just a litte.....and then....bitter end would have something else besides the name to think about.....

Cheers!

• Options

@Stumblebum said:
    Light is flat....
    While it would require cropping into the building, I would not want that white edge on the left....unless either more of it was included in the comp in meaningful way.....right now it is way to thin and huge distraction....

At night you might be able to create more dramatic images....

If you can incorporate some sad looking or fragile figure entering the door.....while it is slightly ajar.....then you can add vignetting all around......just a litte.....and then....bitter end would have something else besides the name to think about.....

Cheers!

You make a valid point, especially about the lighting. I can see it now, thanks :smile:

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

That's a cool place. It's incredibly small, but has a ton of personality. If my memory serves me right, it used to have 3 lights outside. Been quite a while since I've lived there and used to visit this quaint little bar. Seen quite a few good acts there.

About the image, I agree the light is flat and colors do not pop at all. Crop the left and just a smidge off the bottom.

Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2017

@Cygnus Studios said:
    That's a cool place. It's incredibly small, but has a ton of personality. If my memory serves me right, it used to have 3 lights outside. Been quite a while since I've lived there and used to visit this quaint little bar. Seen quite a few good acts there.

About the image, I agree the light is flat and colors do not pop at all. Crop the left and just a smidge off the bottom.

So you used to go to that place, nice:) Thank you for your feedback. I am learning about the flat light. I asked several people and they said the same thing. And I myself can see that it's flat. However, I have a question about it. If in order for it NOT to be flat I decided to create modeling light and interplay between light and shadow how would I go about that? If I use fill flash even though it's just a fill I think it would really OVEREXPOSE EVERTYTHING - both the subject and the background since I would be using the flash in BROAD DAY LIGHT when everything is already brightly lit. I would appreciate any advice, thanks.

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

A flash isn't going to help on a building. It can be done with large lights, but that is a process in and of itself. You need to find a time of day that the sun creates light/shadow on the building.

Steve

Website
  • Options

@Cygnus Studios said:
    A flash isn't going to help on a building. It can be done with large lights, but that is a process in and of itself. You need to find a time of day that the sun creates light/shadow on the building.

Thank you for your suggestion. A few other people suggested the same thing. So I went on another photoshoot and tried to catch the time of the day when there was good light. Will post those pics soon. Hopefully they are better. Thanks again:)