video

yooperdooperyooperdooper Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins

I have accumulated 8 or so videos of waterfalls from Michigan's Upper Peninsula.They are 30 seconds to two minuets each in length. I want to combine them, along with 8 still photos into one video. I want to post the video on Smugmug and YouTube.

How long should I make the video which would be appropriate for Smugmug?

thanks

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited August 30, 2017

@yooperdooper said:
    How long should I make the video which would be appropriate for Smugmug?

From the SmugMug help page Prepare videos for upload:

Our video feature accepts videos in just about any video format, including .mov, .AVI, most Mpeg formats, h.264, .m4a, and .m4v. All users can upload up to 20 minutes for each video in full HD (1920x1080). The maximum file size allowed for any video is 3GB.

We recommend using our HTML5 drag-and-drop uploader in Chrome for best results when uploading videos.

We can't convert your videos as fast as we can prepare still images for display, so it could be a while before a video is visible in your gallery.

I'm copying the message you posted to me here - asking questions on the open forum are more likely to get answers.

Can anyone help @yooperdooper with suggestions on video editing software?

@yooperdooper
    Thanks for the previous feedback. When I create my video what kind of video editing software should I use?. I want to end up with 10 /20 second videos of waterfalls and I want to present 10 stiil photos of waterfalls along with 2 pages of text. Is there such a thing as free video editing software? thanks

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited August 31, 2017

There are some high-quality sources for free video editing, but they generally are for more advanced users.

I strongly suggest using Corel VideoStudio Pro (VSP) software for Windows as it has two different levels of editing; one rather simple method and one for more advanced editing. It's a very competent editor that I use on a weekly basis (although I also use it with much more sophisticated software like DaVinci Resolve and some stand-alone audio editors).

VSP is also pretty good about accepting consumer video files as input and it works on a fairly broad range of Windows computers.

I should add that Windows includes a very simple video editor, but it cannot output to a video format acceptable for most online services like YouTube and Vimeo.

In order to learn how to edit video I suggest contacting your local High School or Community College, both of whom often provide basic editing courses.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited September 1, 2017

I'm copying the message you posted to me here - asking questions on the open forum are more likely to get answers.

@yooperdooper
    I have downloaded a free trial of video studio pro. How do I get started?

@ziggy53 said previously:
    In order to learn how to edit video I suggest contacting your local High School or Community College, both of whom often provide basic editing courses.

You can try some searching on YouTube for tutorials first, but video editing and posting video is completely different from anything you have ever encountered previously. I suggest that you at least audit a course in your local school. There you will learn about file wrappers and codecs, and other things you will need to know in the edit process itself.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited September 2, 2017

If you want help, please post directly in the forum, not behind the scenes.

I'm copying the message you posted to me here:

@yooperdooper
    do you know of someone I could pay to make my video?

You could try searching using words like "video creation service". I suspect that much of what you find will be professional sites with fees that match. Have you considered the recommendation from @ziggy53 to try a course?

Perhaps someone here in the forum knows of a service they can recommend.