Mini Challenge # 252- It's All About You!

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited August 29, 2017 in The Dgrin Challenges

This challenge is going to be a tough one for some of you. The subject is YOU! If you don't have any images already in your archives,** please take the time to set up something new **and share the fun side of you! I have used myself as a model many times, it requires a tripod and learning to set the camera on self timer or using an remote trigger. Let your images show some side of you, whether it be dramatic or just plain old fun! Use this as a time to learn as well as challenge yourself to broaden your photography skills.

Need an idea to set the scene? Maybe think of any of these themes:
My favorite thing to do.
The most disgusting thing I have to do.
This is my life.
My fantasy is...

You will have from Monday, August 28th 2017 12 AM, till Wednesday, September 13th 2017 8 pm (Alaska time, which is 1 hour earlier than Pacific time) to complete this task! Have fun with it!

Check out the Mini Challenge rules if you haven't already, You can find them at https://dgrin.com/discussion/248032/mini-challenge-un-official-rules

Here are just a few of my favorites from the past:

1 My Life

2 The big stink!

3 Inside out

4 Contemplating Innisfree

5 Father and Daughter time

6 Me, Myself and I

Comments

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

Gee Joyce - this is certainly an interesting idea. What creative and fun examples!

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins

I mostly take images of myself in a mirror - often in the ladies bathroom. So I hope that these images will work for this mini.

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

@sarasphotos said:
    Gee Joyce - this is certainly an interesting idea. What creative and fun examples!

Thank you Sara. I'm hoping that people will give this challenge a try. They might surprise themselves on what they come up with!

@grandmaR said:
    I mostly take images of myself in a mirror - often in the ladies bathroom. So I hope that these images will work for this mini.

Could work. Do your best and see what you might think of that's new too. It'll be a fun challenge!

edited August 29, 2017

!. Elevator Mirror on Disney Fantasy - Pirate Night

1. Then and Now - 1963- 2005

In 1963 I was pregnant with my 2nd child - taken in my mother's dresser mirror The 2005 photo I was in a ladies room

3. Penultimate Selfie
    This was my reflection in an unused gravestone.

I had three other photos that I wanted to use - one was my husband holding his feral cat on my head as a hat, but I don't have my eyes open in any of those photos. I also have a silhouette photo where the camera lens is reflected so it looks like I have a hole in my head, but you can't see my face at all. And also a photo of my sister and I lying on my bed - just our faces at right angles to each other, but I'm not sure whether she took the photo or I did (with a phone)

Thank you for starting us out @grandmaR ! Love the pirate costume!

I thought of using it as my profile photo on Facebook, but I was afraid someone would think that I really had only one eye.
    I know this isn't exactly what you had in mind, but my health at the moment is such that I could not assemble all the props for that kind of a photo

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins
    edited September 5, 2017

thank you @JAG for a theme that really challenges! I am one of those who hates to be in front of the lens, which actually constrains my portrait photography too. So I had to 1. create something new, 2. cast aside my reluctance to be in front of the camera, and 3, think outside my usual box. This is the first attempt, and I will edit this post to add another one or two if I can put them together before the 13th.

1. Uh Oh! 20 kilos of cucumbers and how many tomatoes?

I had a lot of fun, and learned a lot putting this one together. My first effort at a multi-image composition.
    2. In the garden

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator

Looks like a fun and challenging mini! Will probably have to pass this time around (launched a new website at work on Tuesday and traveling soon) but will be interested to see what others post here!

• Marcin WuuMarcin Wuu Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2017

Weeeeell... this is a challange practically made for me. I'm the biggest narcissist there's ever been, so I take selfies all the time. Since there are six in starting post, I'll try to contain myself, and post only six, too.

1. Going under

1. Lightbringer

1. Jesus Saves With Ctrl-S

I'm a lazy portraitist. I only shoot beautiful women.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

@Marcin Wuu said:
    Weeeeell... this is a challange practically made for me. I'm the biggest narcissist there's ever been, so I take selfies all the time. Since there are six in starting post, I'll try to contain myself, and post only six, too.

The Mini Challenge Un-Official Rules linked in the first post of this thread specifies 1 to 3 photos.

Guidelines:
    1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.

@Marcin Wuu said:

Yes I invited you, but as Denise posted above, please read the challenge rules first then edit your post to what you think your best 3 images are. The challenge rules are at this link: https://dgrin.com/discussion/248032/mini-challenge-un-official-rules

@DavidRGillespie said:
    thank you @JAG for a theme that really challenges! I am one of those who hates to be in front of the lens, which actually constrains my portrait photography too. So I had to 1. create something new, 2. cast aside my reluctance to be in front of the camera, and 3, think outside my usual box. This is the first attempt, and I will edit this post to add another one or two if I can put them together before the 13th.

Thank you David for taking on the challenge! I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

I'm still on vacation but got a chance to check in to see what has been entered so far. Hope others have been working on their entries!

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2017

Nice theme, here's my 3 "tries"

Double vision

Enjoy life to the fullest with people you love

Museum exhibit ;)

The last one is actually a wink to a "real" museum exhibit on the side of the Rotterdam photography museum:

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins

I only have one and it was my entry in one of the Mega's back in the day.
    The theme was Album Cover. I really miss the DSS Challenges :(

Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.

@CHANDLERJA I miss the DSS too. However, there just wasn't enough people entering to justify the means. I've been thinking about running challenges again without prizes, but just bragging rights. One of the issues is the voting. Since we've moved to Vanilla platform, we cannot post the voting in the same format we use too. So that would be a hurdle to jump. I would like to implement this for the winter months. Would those who are here be interested in trying to participate again? I know when I came up with something the last time, only a couple participated.

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

I had a look at the old DSS posts, and it looks like fun - I am up for anything that challenges me to think creatively and try new things.

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

This mini looks like fun and there are some good entries so far. I am still hoping to generate a photo or two, but my selfies usually look like my avatar. I'm much happier opposite the lens. I have been tied up this last week with work and family commitments but I still have a few days and I do have a couple of ideas. Maybe I will make it in time.

Joyce, please count me as a yes vote for the DSS challenges. I really thought I learned a lot when I entered them in the past. That was more incentive to me than the possibility of a prize.

~~Barbara

About 34 more hours before this challenge closes! I certainly hope that more entries come in! Don't be left out!

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins

I also used to really enjoy the old DSS challenges. For me, the best part was reading the critiques and thought processes for each image. I learned a LOT from reading those! My time is so much more limited right now, so I don't know how often I would get to enter, but I still vote yes. My schedule will free up eventually.

Sherry

This challenge is closed. I will have results up shortly.