P-51 C

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

I shoot this bird every time I get near it. Restored by the Collins Foundation, it's probably the finest " C " model flying.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins

Beautiful restoration and your shots. Now all you need is to have a ride in it.

Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
  • GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,728 Major grins

Would be nice to be the passenger in that one.

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

@OrvSal said:
    Beautiful restoration and your shots. Now all you need is to have a ride in it.

@GSPeP said:
    Would be nice to be the passenger in that one.

Thanks for looking in, guys. I have a friend here in Jacksonville that owns a stunning P-51 D....the " Sizzlin Liz ". I've been fortunate to experience flight in his plane with him. In years past, I flew a lot myself. But I never had any plane that even approached the visceral impact one gets from a P-51 flight. Even the run-up on the strip prior to takeoff is remarkable. The plane shudders and strains at the bit...waiting for the brakes to be released. The sounds of that Merlin engine, as you restrain the beast, reach an unholy level....painful, in fact, if you're not wearing proper ear protection. Once you're airborne, you're in for the ride of your life.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins

She's a beauty, Tom! I've seen her up close a number of times, and she looks and sounds spectacular!

@moose135 said:
    She's a beauty, Tom! I've seen her up close a number of times, and she looks and sounds spectacular!

I've seen one other " C " model that rivals this Collins plane. That's the one that Kermit Weeks and his crew turned out down at the Fantasy of Flight operation of his near Orlando. For anyone that's into aviation, the Fantasy of Flight museum / restoration center is a MUST go to thing. They also have a terrific gift shop that's big on aviation books....many of which are sometimes offered with the author's signature. I've got to hand it to Mr. Weeks. He did this place up real properly.

I hope, John, that this years colors will be great. If it looks like they are, I'm going to try and get up there.

See you,

Tom

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Very cool bird Tom!!

@Stumblebum said:
    Very cool bird Tom!!

It really is exceptional, Taz. I recently visited the museum for the Mighty Eighth Air Force, located in Savannah, GA. The Mighty Eighth was instrumental in bombing Germany into submission during WW II. It's a great place that every aviation enthusiast owes it to himself to go see.

See you, guy.