'68 Coronet 500

Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins

My uncle bought it new, sold it to my grandfather and I've had it for about 25 years. It was parked in the garage for 11 years and recently got it running again. Isn't registered so can't drive it far, but had to take some pics.

My other car...

Comments

• OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins

WOW, you have a couple of very nice cars that are in great shape. I believe that the Firebird would be the most fun car to drive.

Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins

@OrvSal said:
    WOW, you have a couple of very nice cars that are in great shape. I believe that the Firebird would be the most fun car to drive.

Thanks!

Unfortunately the car came from Pennsylvania, so there is rust. A few holes in the trunk, rear wheel wells/quarter panels etc. Firebird is a fun car to drive for sure!

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

I love those big old Mopars. I see you still have the direction connection plates. I'm guessing it is still all original since it's been in the family since new. Is there a big block tucked under the hood?

Steve

Website

@Cygnus Studios said:
    I love those big old Mopars. I see you still have the direction connection plates. I'm guessing it is still all original since it's been in the family since new. Is there a big block tucked under the hood?

No, I just bought it last week, but I picked this style because it was period correct. I'm in CA so you know I have to have a front plate. I bought the DC plate so I don't have to Photoshop real license plates.

The convertible is just a stock 318 with about 120,000 miles. I put power brakes, but still have 4-wheel drums. I also put dual exhaust and glass packs for the '60's sound.

edited September 4, 2017

@Hikin' Mike said:
    No, I just bought it last week, but I picked this style because it was period correct. I'm in CA so you know I have to have a front plate.

It is certainly a great car and I know that you'll enjoy it.

I know that we are supposed to have front license plates, but ...... Some of the guys and gals in my vette club have installed the show-n-go plates that pop out from under the car. In the almost 10 years that I've been on the left coast the only issue I've ever had about not having my front plate was parking on the street in the financial district. The city seems to care more about it from my experience or maybe I've just been extra lucky. I guess if I get enough tickets or pulled over enough I might throw one on the vette, but not just for the sake of it.

Not that I am promoting the non use of front license plates :p

Steve

Website

@Cygnus Studios said:
    It is certainly a great car and I know that you'll enjoy it.

I know that we are supposed to have front license plates, but ...... Some of the guys and gals in my vette club have installed the show-n-go plates that pop out from under the car. In the almost 10 years that I've been on the left coast the only issue I've ever had about not having my front plate was parking on the street in the financial district. The city seems to care more about it from my experience or maybe I've just been extra lucky. I guess if I get enough tickets or pulled over enough I might throw one on the vette, but not just for the sake of it.

Not that I am promoting the non use of front license plates :p

You said you have a Vette? What year?

My dad used to own a '63.

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins

That looks great, Mike! Having it in the family all these years must make it even more special, and I'm glad you have her running again. Although as a Mopar guy, I'd suggest you replace that yellow thing, maybe with something like a '70 Challenger? ;-)

@Hikin' Mike said:

I have 3 currently. My daily driver is a 1991. I have a 1970 that is in the process of being converted to a new LS7 set up, and a 1965 fuelie that will enter into restoration as soon as the 70 is done. It's been a Ca car all it's life, so it doesn't need a whole lot.

Steve

Website

@Cygnus Studios said:

@Hikin' Mike said:

I have 3 currently. My daily driver is a 1991. I have a 1970 that is in the process of being converted to a new LS7 set up, and a 1965 fuelie that will enter into restoration as soon as the 70 is done. It's been a Ca car all it's life, so it doesn't need a whole lot.

Nice!