• Options
    pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,774 Major grins

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

@pegelli said:

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:
    Spiral shape

Next: baby blue

I have difficulty spotting the spiral shape in there :/

The stair tower is a square shaped spiral. If you draw a normal walking line in the tower you will see a rounded spiral ;)

Yes, with some fantasy I can imagine that as a spiral, but it doesn't show as a spiral in the picture. However I don't know if that's a requirement :|

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Many Grins

@pegelli said:

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

@pegelli said:

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:
    Spiral shape

The stair tower is a square shaped spiral. If you draw a normal walking line in the tower you will see a rounded spiral ;)

Yes, with some fantasy I can imagine that as a spiral, but it doesn't show as a spiral in the picture. However I don't know if that's a requirement :|

Regarding requirement: I don't find it tremendously important. This is a game and there must be room for some fun, imagination and banter. :Do:)

• Options

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

@pegelli said:

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

@pegelli said:

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:
    Spiral shape

Regarding requirement: I don't find it tremendously important. This is a game and there must be room for some fun, imagination and banter. :Do:)

I agree, it should be fun and it's not tremendously important, however part of the fun is to meet the challenge and not take it too liberal.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2017

@pegelli said:

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

@pegelli said:

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

@pegelli said:

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:
    Spiral shape

I agree, it should be fun and it's not tremendously important, however part of the fun is to meet the challenge and not take it too liberal.

What is "too liberal"? The way especially x and z are handled in The Never Ending Alphabet Game Challenge! is very liberal. One of the important rules is "Make a title for your image with the word that starts with the current letter", but Roman numerals, onomatopoeia (ZZZZZZ ;) ), the physical appearance of x or z etc. are not titles or words.

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,236 moderator
    edited September 13, 2017

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:
    What is "too liberal"? The way especially x and z are handled in The Never Ending Alphabet Game Challenge! is very liberal. One of the important rules is "Make a title for your image with the word that starts with the current letter", but Roman numerals, onomatopoeia (ZZZZZZ ;) ), the physical appearance of x or z etc. are not titles or words.

In the case of the perpetual shapes, color, etc. thread I expect to see the shape requested in the photo. While I understand that looking within that square staircase you can imagine a spiral, I don't think that the photo shows a spiral.

When I looked up the definition of spiral, I found this on wikipedia:

In mathematics, a spiral is a curve which emanates from a point, moving farther away as it revolves around the point.

• Options

@denisegoldberg said:

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

In the case of the perpetual shapes, color, etc. thread I expect to see the shape requested in the photo. While I understand that looking within that square staircase you can imagine a spiral, I don't think that the photo shows a spiral.

When I looked up the definition of spiral, I found this on wikipedia:

In mathematics, a spiral is a curve which emanates from a point, moving farther away as it revolves around the point.

I have deleted my picture.

• Options

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

You have so many cool photos that I'm surprised you didn't have a spiral to replace it with. I was able to find one so hopefully you will jump back in!

• Options

@denisegoldberg said:

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

You have so many cool photos that I'm surprised you didn't have a spiral to replace it with. I was able to find one so hopefully you will jump back in!

• Options

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

@denisegoldberg said:

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

Almost camoflaged, but I see it!

• Options

@denisegoldberg said:

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

@denisegoldberg said:

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

Almost camoflaged, but I see it!

You can have a more visible too.

• Options

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

You can have a more visible too.

I really like this one! There is definitely a lot to look at.

• Options

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:
    C is for Cormorant (Great)

This C follows another C?

• Options

@denisegoldberg said: ...
    This C follows another C?

Pieter (@pegelli) has just made a Y on my Y, so I thought, it was now allowed to "stay or continue" :D , but when a moderator is pursuing me I give up. I have change to D. :s

• Options
    edited October 10, 2017

I'm sorry I posted a second Y just after you Jørgen and didn't notice it, but the rules say that if two people post the same letter near the same time both have to wait until someone else posts the next letter.
    see here: https://dgrin.com/discussion/237186/the-never-ending-alphabet-game-challenge/p1

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • Options

@pegelli said:

next: walky-talky or radio shape

I hadn't thought this would be too difficult :/

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2017

@pegelli said:
    I'm sorry I posted a second Y just after you Jørgen and didn't notice it, but the rules say that if two people post the same letter near the same time both have to wait until someone else posts the next letter.
    see here: https://dgrin.com/discussion/237186/the-never-ending-alphabet-game-challenge/p1

I know what the rules says :) and don't be sorry. I was just trying to joke a little :s

• Options
    edited October 11, 2017

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:
    R is for Rest

Shouldn't this be Q is for Quiet ;)

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • Options

@pegelli said:

Shouldn't this be Q is for Quiet ;)

You are perfectly right. I don't know what I am actually up to. There must momentary be some blank spots in my brain :(

• Options

@JAG said:
    C is for Chrysanthemums ...

You are a litte late or in a wrong place when you posted. Will you change to an E?

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

Looks like vanilla it's caught up to E now. Vanilla sometimes doesn't keep up with browsers by refreshing when people post while others post at the same time.

• Options

@pegelli said:
    K is for Kitten

I love this shot, nicely done!

• Options

@denisegoldberg said:

@pegelli said:
    K is for Kitten

I love this shot, nicely done!

Thanks Denise, it was just a grab shot of a kitting visiting us in our cabin while on vacation. But (s)he sure looks cute :)

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • Options
    bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 737 Major grins

Hi Jorgen. I really did hit refresh before posting my S photo but I still didn't see your sanderling photo. Glad you got back in with T. :smiley:

~~Barbara
  • Options
    bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 737 Major grins

@denisegoldberg said:
    X is for X'ing lines of angled trees

I like how the reflection is required to get the X. Great idea.

~~Barbara
  • Options

@bfluegie said:

@denisegoldberg said:
    X is for X'ing lines of angled trees

I like how the reflection is required to get the X. Great idea.

Thanks Barbara!

• Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,829 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2017

@pegelli said:
    X is for X-shaped arches to support the ceiling

Hi Pieter, I'm a cathedral buff - which one is this? I'm thinking northern France (that's the easy part) Le Mans? Amiens? Laon?

• Options

Well spotted Sara, It's the one in Amiens.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • Options

Thanks for clarifying! I haven't been to Amiens since '89 so my memory of the view looking up isn't so fresh. I do remember the magnificent black and white tiled floor.

Beautiful shot - how wide of a lens did you use?

• Options

Thanks Sara, it was taken with a 10 mm lens on APS-C, so equivalent to 15 mm on the old 24x36 mm film.
    I just put the camera on the ground and used the self timer. But with such a wide lens you have to step pretty far back, otherwise you get yourself in the frame :) (Happened to me more then once)

There's some more pictures of Amiens (and other nice places in France) on this page: https://pegelli.smugmug.com/Other/201507/i-PvFDnfN and the next one. The floors as well as other artifacts in that Cathedral were indeed very impressive.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • Options

Ah, I thought it must have been extra wide. With my 14mm M43 (28 equiv) I can never get so much in the shot.

Nice gallery - I think I've looked at it before. I love the Amiens shots - that floor is indeed fabulous. Most amusing is that we have some of the very same pictures of Saumur and the Loire.