Wildlife hotspots in Montana, anyone?

MoonMan04MoonMan04 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins

Hey everyone, I just moved from Florida to Missoula, Montana and know nothing of this state. I'm looking for some local spots near me where I can go on the regular, but is also inclined to travel a bit farther to do some weekend trips. Any suggestions?

Kyle C. Moon
Portfolio: Moonman.Photography

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited September 13, 2017

Due north of Missoula, maybe 30 miles or less, is the National Bison Range.

East a ways is Glacier National Park, and Waterton Park in Canada just north of Glacier. To the west a bit is Lolo National Forest.

South east of you is Yellowstone National Park in northwest Wyoming. Lots of game there in the winter along the road to Cooke City. Winter wildlife in Wyoming will include elk, bison, coyotes and wolves. I have some images of Yellowstone wildlife here - https://pathfinder.smugmug.com/Travel/Yellowstone-in-Winter-February/

If you are willing to drive a ways north, northern Alberta is spectacular, with lots or grizzlies, black bears, moose, elk, deer, woodland bison ( 20% larger than American plains bison ) and caribou. I drove through there on the way to Alaska in 2015, https://pathfinder.smugmug.com/Travel/Alan-Road-Trip-2015-Tiger/ You might see some of what I saw as we drove through.

This post is just a short list of what you might look for, I am sure there are folks living in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho who can give you much longer and more specific suggestions.

Montana is a great place to photograph wildlife, and an even better stepping off spot than where i reside in Indiana.

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • MoonMan04MoonMan04 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins

Thanks @pathfinder, this is exactly what I was looking for. I was hoping to get out before the snow came in, but I just now got a job as a wildland firefighter and it looks like I'll be spending my time fighting fires until winter decides to give us a hand with some snow pack.

Kyle C. Moon
    Portfolio: Moonman.Photography

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

Be safe. I have a neighbor who just returned from Missoula - visited her daughter who works on a farm near there - and she mentioned the smoke and the odor of smoke while she was there.

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin