Results of Mini Challenge 252 - It's All About You!

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited September 15, 2017 in The Dgrin Challenges

Thanks to all who were brave enough to enter and accept this challenge!

Honorable mentions:
@CHANDLERJA - I do remember this image back in the DSS days. I like the contrasts between white and black with your dramatic lighting.

@pegelli - Kudos on recreating the Museum Exhibit. I rather like your Double Vision. It reminds me of shooting black and white film back in the day, and this would be the double exposure shot at the end or at the beginning of the roll! The amount of grainy noise makes it all the more appealing.

Third place:
@grandmaR - I really like this Pirate Night selfie. There is a sense of humor about it. I can hear the silence that was in the elevator as the doors closed and you and your mate (in the back corner) are dressed for a night of fun, while the one lady looks somewhat amused at how cute the two of you look, or is she amused at you taking a selfie in the elevator? Either way, it made me giggle as I have been in that position myself on a cruise ship! A bonus even though you had no control of lighting, is the lighting. The gold tones and smudgy mirrors all add to the reality of this snapshot.

Second place:
@DavidRGillespie - I like both of your images and am glad that you went out and shot fresh images for this challenge. Of the two images, my favorite is your composition of In the Garden. Very amusing and kudos for doing an excellent job of learning to do this type of photograph. Keep up the experimenting!

First Place winner:

@Marcin Wuu - Even though your subject matter of the dark side is put out there strongly to the point of making some of us squirm, there is no doubt to the quality of work here. You have done an excellent job with all 3 of your images with lighting and processing abilities. The fact that some would be uncomfortable with your "theme" of your dark side, reminds me of Picasso. He was known in his day for scandalous art that many hated, yet today his work is worth hundreds of thousands just for 1 picture. I remember a quote from him that I read (really paraphrasing) "Art is suppose to move a person. A piece of art can move a person's emotion to love it and have happy feelings, or it can be made to move a person to hate it. Either way, it's still art". I've had a hard time deciding which of your images should be the actual winner as technically, they are all spot on. So I choose your first one "Going Under". Mainly because I think that it might portrait you the best. The image might state that you do have some issues, maybe with depression and anger, with negative thoughts that bombard you. However, true or not, kudos on blowing my mind! So now it's up to you to come up with the theme and running of the next mini challenge as per the rules. https://dgrin.com/discussion/248032/mini-challenge-un-official-rules

Let me know if you have any questions.

Comments

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

Wow, kudos to all who entered this challenge - some great stuff here. Congratulations to Marcin Wuu for the win and three masterful portraits.

And Joyce, your 'sample' photos for the challenge are outstanding to say the least. I'm sorry I didn't enter, but I have a lot going on right now and to put me in front of the camera is going to take a LOT of time, effort and cajoling! :wink:

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins

Congratulations to Marcin Wuu for the winning picture, and I also liked the second place one.

Also Joyce you noticed something in the photo that I had not seen - it was my granddaughter back in the corner of the elevator - I didn't realize that she was in the photo.
    (She was wearing her mother's Halloween costume

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

@grandmaR how sweet! I couldn't tell much other than seeing the red bandanna on a head in the corner. I bet you all had a great time!

@Cavalier said:
    Wow, kudos to all who entered this challenge - some great stuff here. Congratulations to Marcin Wuu for the win and three masterful portraits.

And Joyce, your 'sample' photos for the challenge are outstanding to say the least. I'm sorry I didn't enter, but I have a lot going on right now and to put me in front of the camera is going to take a LOT of time, effort and cajoling! :wink:

Thank you Jo. I hope nothing too serious going on. Sometime spending time with our cameras can make the rest of the worlds problems go away. Even for just a short time! :smile:

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

Congratulations to the well-deserving winners!
    I'm with Jo on this one - I just haven't had time recently to try anything new. Just too much going on at work these days.

Ok, I had private messaged Marcin a few days ago and notified him of the rules since he was new to the mini challenge. He has not been to dgrin since the 5th, and he had until today to get up a new challenge. So as per the challenge rules, the new challenge set up will be passed on to the next runner up, which is @DavidRGillespie . So David, if you can set up challenge 253 per the mini challenge rules, that would be great!

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

Congratulations to all who entered, and especially to Marcin Wuu. All three portraits of your portraits were truly wonderful. Great art is not necessarily easy to look at. And thanks, Joyce, for the nod for second and for the opportunity to set up challenge 253. I will get something posted as quickly as I can figure out how to make it all work.

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Joyce, thanks for the HM and congrats to the winner and the runners up. It was a hard but very enjoyable challenge.

And you are right, I tried to process my shot so it "emulated" old grainy B&W film. I'm glad you noticed so I know my effort paid off.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug