Options

Selling

thatguy011071thatguy011071 Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins

How difficult is it to sell your work? Seems nearly impossible unless your work speaks to the person. Any tips out there?

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,236 moderator
    edited October 9, 2017

Sell your work how? If you're asking about online sales, that is not something that just happens. You need to actively promote your work to generate sales.

There are a number of good discussions on this subject in the Mind Your Own Business forum. Here are links to a couple from earlier this year that contain some good information:

I just took a look at your smugmug site. Leaving the SmugMug header and large footer gives your site the look of a photo sharing site as opposed to a professional site. Remove the SmugMug Header and switch to the mini-footer as a start. You can find these settings by going to Customize... Content and design... Settings.

You have a title on your site of "Portrait work and creative landscapes Photos By William" but no information about you is exposed on the site.

You are selling sizes that don't fit your photos. Potential buyers should not need to sort through photo sizes that don't match the photos. Why not remove the sizes that don't match the aspect ration of your work?

• Options
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

@thatguy011071 said:
    How difficult is it to sell your work? Seems nearly impossible unless your work speaks to the person. Any tips out there?

A quick look at your site it looks like you do "art" type photography which is by far the toughest to sell. You can pretty much forget about online sales. There are billions of art sites already, so think galleries, either locally or regionally. Another option would be contacting travel agencies, post card companies, calendar companies, etc. Keep in mind that most people who own a camera are also wondering how to sell their "art" photos, and there are only so many buyers. So you need to think a little outside of the box or you need to figure out how to market better than everyone else.

Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2017

Thanks man. I have actually brought framed art work to galleries but maybe I am bringing good work to the wrong art dealer. Looking back some of the things he said to me didn't really add up. I should start again with some different work. I will keep shooting and keep shooting a variety of things. I do love it though and I know eventually, I'll find the shots that speak to people. :)