HOW TO CONVERT PORTRAIT IMAGE TO LANDSCAPE CROP

angelalorraineangelalorraine Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
Hello!
I have portrait images that need to be added to a BACKGROUND slideshow on my photography website homepage (this does not apply to regular slideshows, of course). I would like to use my portrait images, but only the top portion is displayed in the background slideshow. How can I add black background, to increase the crop to a landscape image? Or is there another way to make this conversion from portrait to landscape easily? I would really not like to have to do this in photoshop because I am not actually trying to do a content-aware extension of the background to convert the actual image to a landscape version. I would simply like to add some sort of formatting or black background that would allow the portrait image to be PROPERLY displayed in my background slideshow (while still retaining the "portrait" look). ANY AND ALL HELP IS SO APPRECIATED!!!

Comments

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2017

I've no idea about what other software you'd prefer to use to do this, but I'd use the Image > Canvas Size option in photoshop - no need to use content aware fills etc :)
    Just enter a width value that's 1.5x the image height value and PS will add the extra canvas - in the colour of your choice - via the option also available.

pp
    Note I've used 1.5 assuming you want to end up with a pic with 6x4 proportions - you'll have to use different values for other ratios.

• angelalorraineangelalorraine Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    > @puzzledpaul said:
    > I've no idea about what other software you'd prefer to use to do this, but I'd use the Image > Canvas Size option in photoshop - no need to use content aware fills etc :)
    > Just enter a width value that's 1.5x the image height value and PS will add the extra canvas - in the colour of your choice - via the option also available.
    >
    > pp
    > Note I've used 1.5 assuming you want to end up with a pic with 6x4 proportions - you'll have to use different values for other ratios.

What an awesome answer. Thank you so very much!