Mini-Challenge #254 - Pets in action

This is my first task as guide-dog on a mini-challenge. So have patience. I was tempted to take one of my favourites – BIFs - as a theme for this mini-challenge, but finally decided that it was a little too special. After hard considerations I ended up with this theme: Pets in action. I sincerely hope that this theme will have a broad appeal. I will not in advance make limitations on the understanding of "pets". If you have a vivid elephant in your backyard, pictures of it is OK to me but pictures of circus elephants are not allowed. And of course one of the birds in this picture isn't a pet:

The theme title itself tells that simple portraits are not allowed, but what about "action"?

1. There is not enough action in pictures of this kind:

1. One could claim that the next 2 pictures doesn't show action but the result of it. I will allow pictures of this kind.

1. This one is in the heart of the theme:

You will have from Thursday 5 October 14:00 GM until Thursday 19 October 14:00 GM to complete this challenge.

Have fun

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.
Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!
Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up incase the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

Comments

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

Now I have to wake up the dog! Great theme Jørgen!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Many Grins

@DavidRGillespie said:
    Now I have to wake up the dog! Great theme Jørgen!

Many thanks, Dave :)

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins
    edited October 11, 2017

So, I guess I will be the first to jump in . I am not sure if these are what you are looking for. These are from my files, and the subject, Barney the Shi-tzu, is now 12.5 years old, and quite blind. He has slowed a bit with arthritis, but still loves to join us on outings. The hikes are a bit more gentle, and he is on a tight leash (I am a seeing-eye person), and paddling of any kind is his favourite activity.

Navigating on Alouette Lake, BC - note the personal flotation device!

On a fall hike, Skyline trail, Manning Park, British Columbia

I removed the more sedate image, and included this one of Hemlock gathering a small stick for me to toss

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited October 6, 2017

Yes, there should be a large amount of entries on this theme! Here are mine!

1 Running the Iditarod

2 Play date

3 Flying by teeth

@DavidRGillespie said:
    ... I am not sure if these are what you are looking for ...

Great that Barney at that age is still doing fine and I like your pictures. Honestly I cann't claim that there is much action in the third one. The two first show Barney in an active environment and are OK to me.

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins

We have had a dog, and currently have five feral cats, but in the past we also had horses - do they count?

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
    edited October 7, 2017

I'm going to stick to our personal pets. Unfortunately right now we only have 5 feral cats. My grandson does have a dog whose name is..

!) Denali

The first feral cat is named...
    2) Crunch attending to his toilette

We have had a number of horses and ponies - sometimes even in the backyard. This one is

3) Rabblerouser in the dressage ring

edited October 7, 2017

@grandmaR said:
    We have had a dog, and currently have five feral cats, but in the past we also had horses - do they count?

If you are ridig you risk to destroy fun :) . Horses can be pets and your third photo is OK to me. If you tell me that Rabblerouser participate in highly professional dressage - if that exist - I might come to another conclusion :o and may be I won't regard ploughing horses as pets :D

edited October 8, 2017

I am not sure what you mean.

Rabblerouser was a goofy horse - he got his name because he was always putting his nose into places and inciting the other horses. I have lots of photos of him where she has put her gloves on his ears to make him into a moose (because he is a Trakehner and has the moose-type brand)

but I didn't use those because there was no obvious action in the photo. If you would prefer this one, I'll switch

edited October 7, 2017

@grandmaR said:

... If you would prefer this one, I'll switch

You will have to switch no nothing. I am just trying to say that a horse isn't always a pet. I hope this example can make it clear what I mean: I my childhood horse and carriage delivered beer, meat etc. all around in the towns and I don't regard those horses as pets. :)

They weren't YOUR pets, but I don't think that just because an animal has a job, that automatically means that they cannot also be a pet. I gave the example of police dogs. Those dogs live at home with the family of the policeman. The same with guide dogs - they are working dogs to guide the blind person, but they live at the house and for the blind person, they have a dual role - oneas a pet and one as a working animal.

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2017

Here are my entries:

1) Twirling Buddy. He loved to play and twirl in the snow.

2) Buddy and brother Ollie playing together in the snow. Ollie's stance shows that he had just recovered from back surgery.

3) Nephew's dogs playing at family picnic. Guess which one was the fastest and fiercest!

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

Hmm... this was a little harder than I expected. The action my cats are best at involves stretching out in the sun. Paw and whisker twitching may be involved, but the action aspects of those movements aren't captured very well in photos. So, this is the best I could do right now.

1. Skitz helps decorate the tree

2. More help! An annual tradition

3. Sheba blasts off!

Actually, I think she's on the way back down. In her youth that girl could fly!

~~Barbara
    edited October 7, 2017

@grandmaR said:
    They weren't YOUR pets, but I don't think that just because an animal has a job, that automatically means that they cannot also be a pet. I gave the example of police dogs. Those dogs live at home with the family of the policeman. The same with guide dogs - they are working dogs to guide the blind person, but they live at the house and for the blind person, they have a dual role - oneas a pet and one as a working animal.

Agree, but a police dog in violent "professional" action isn't a "pet in action" and I assure you, that I in common cann't regard sledgedogs in Kalaallit Nunaat (Greenland) as pets. I hope this discussion in practice will be without importance for this mini-challenge and I also hope that people will make their entries without too much considerations on this matter.

I agree that a police dog in 'uniform' is not a pet. But I do not have as strict a definition of a pet as that. Perhaps it is because I am of English descent - we are more sentimental about animals. Our horses were pets, even though we rode them. There are also the canaries in the coal mines. They had a job, but I think they were also the pets of the miners.

As a young person I was friends with a blind lady named Helen Tullis who had a leader dog. When we were together, she would hold my arm (to be guided by me) so that she could let her dog be 'off duty'. When he was just walking along with us and she wasn't using his harness, he was just a dog taking a walk and people could pet him. When he was working, he was not a pet and people should not touch him or distract him. He was later killed in the line of duty - a tractor trailer made a left turn when the light was green for pedestrians and his trailer swung inside the turn that the cab made. He pushed Helen back out of the way but the truck clipped him and he died.

@grandmaR said:
    I agree ...

I don't think we are disagree at all. So let the show go on :)

• WearWear Registered Users Posts: 5
    WHAT I need a fishing license REALLY well i tried but will not let me post the pic ????
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

@Wear said:
    WHAT I need a fishing license REALLY well i tried but will not let me post the pic ????

New members are limited in capability for a short period of time + a number of posts. Once you post more (plus be past your first day on the forum) you will be able to post photos.

• WearWear Registered Users Posts: 5
    jwear I won the first challenge and have more than a few posts ,but anyway I give up I tried in the last challenge also.Good topic I have a shot of a dog catching a fish ,good luck voting
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited October 11, 2017

hey jwear, I will see if I can get this straightened out for you. Thanks for being patient!
    EDIT: Your jwear account is working just fine and it looks like you have visited this site quite a few times with it. The last time was Sept. 29th. So please use your jwear account to post images and you will not have a problems participating. Thank you!

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2017

My first entry

Fetching a stick:

I don't have that many pets in action, so I'll see if I can find one or two more.

Edit: found another one :)

Chasing mice

Let's see if I can find a third one

Edit: didn't find another one, but was able to take one while on the beach last week

No respect for art ;)

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
    edited October 11, 2017

@pegelli said:
    My first entry

I don't have that many pets in action, so I'll see if I can find one or two more.

I like it. So please look for more :)

edited October 17, 2017

The action my cats are best at involves stretching out in the sun. Paw and whisker twitching may be involved, but the action aspects of those movements aren't captured very well in photos

That's the problem with cats. And Christmas trees seem to bring out the worst in them - Our cat knocked ours over (it was just a little one so not much damage) This is him (not for the contest) getting ready to chomp on the tree. I think he looks like a shark

• GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,728 Major grins

I don't have any pets myself, but pets from neighbors come and visit me all the time.

1. Hunting with bad camouflage

1. Fluffy on the lookout

1. Enjoying the sun

Love fluffy

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

I have a few:

1. Shake it baby!

2. A walk in the grass

3. The Chase!

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

@grandmaR said:
    The action my cats are best at involves stretching out in the sun. Paw and whisker twitching may be involved, but the action aspects of those movements aren't captured very well in photos

That's the problem with cats. And Christmas trees seem to bring out the worst in them - ...

I like the picture of your cat playing with the garland. I'm sure that dangling ornament was also tempting. Christmas tree abuse must be universally feline. Skitz used to climb halfway up and make a nest near the trunk. My cat Shadow will also chew on the branches but she won't go near the ladder while I'm decorating. It's just part of the holiday fun.

~~Barbara
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited October 19, 2017

We have had many pets over the years but I have only found a few photos of pets in action. We met the first puppy while visiting a son in California, and the second puppy (last photo) came to visit with our daughter. She belonged to an organization that found new homes for dogs, so we had several canine visitors.

1. Puppy gnawing a bone

I found two more - taken several years ago - of our daughter's boxer demolishing a soccer ball.

1. Rocky 1 Soccer Ball 0

2. Rocky taking a break

Not an Entry
    Puppy exploring

edited October 19, 2017

Thanks for all the great entries. I will as soon as possible come up to the results, but I need a litte time because I am actually taking care of grandchildrens (today until now fairy tale theatre and Halloween in Tivoli).