Considering the Canon 5D4

Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins

OK, I know the 5D4 has been around for a good while now but I'm just starting to investigate the pros and cons of moving from my pair of 5D3s.

Hoping that some ood you have been using them for a long time and the honeymoon period is over so you can give some tearful world thoughts and opinions.

99% weddings and environmental portraits.

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

I own a pair of 5DMKIII's and a single 5DMKIV. What I like about the MKIV is the files are a little cleaner, not hugely so however, and I never felt limited by the 5DMKIII image quality even at ISO6400 or even higher. The touch screen is super nice for flipping through your photos like it's a smart phone. Maybe that's just a novelty though, as the standard way of flipping and zooming photos never bothered me either. The big win with the touch screen is for video though. Touching subjects on the screen to simulate focus pulls is really sweet, as is the 4K and slo-mo video features. But you didn't mention anything about video, so that may not be useful. The built-in bulb timer and intervalometer is really nice for landscape work, but you didn't mention that either.

30MP is nice for more crop-ability; I don't feel as bad framing loosely to give more crop options. However, 30MP is also a negative in that the raw file sizes are HUGE. I shoot mainly Bar Mitzvahs, and I always used to use a 32GB card for the formals and service without ever filling. With the MKIV, I've had to switch to larger cards. And since I never delete anything, my storage/backup overhead is taking a big hit with not much payoff. Yes, I can use M-RAW, but that's smaller than the MKIII's file size, so I don't want to go there either.

Honestly, I still shoot most receptions with the 5DMKIIIs as my primary workhorses and save the MKIV for formals and personal projects. In a perfect world, I'd sell the 5DMKIII's and have three MKIVs. But I really can't justify the expense. The MKIII's are really good cameras.

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator

While the Canon 5D Mark IV is slated for my next body purchase, lenses and light comes first. Make sure that you use the latest lenses from Canon, namely the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM and EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM. To understand why the "II" versions are important read this:

Autofocus Reality Part 3B: Canon Cameras

The takeaway point is that, starting with the Canon 5D Mark III and the version "II" lenses for both the FF 24-70mm, f2.8L II standard zoom and the 70-200mm, f2.8L II telephoto zoom, autofocus becomes dramatically better, and should yield a higher rate of in-focus keepers.

For more Canon 5D Mark IV (vs 5D Mark III) Wedding/Event-centric points see this article:

Canon 5D Mark IV Review Through the Eyes of a Wedding Photographer

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins

To be honest, the thing that sold me on the mk IV was the ability to use my iphone as remote trigger and to send photos so I can put them up onto instagram quickly. I used wifi cards, like Eye-Fi, but that would transfer the entire card which was not friendly to my phone's capacity.

Image quality wise, I only see like a stop or two better than the mk 3.

Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2017

@Moogle Pepper said:
    To be honest, the thing that sold me on the mk IV was the ability to use my iphone as remote trigger and to send photos so I can put them up onto instagram quickly. I used wifi cards, like Eye-Fi, but that would transfer the entire card which was not friendly to my phone's capacity.

all the current camera models can use a cell phone to control the camera
    (talkin about the selfie generation)
    flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins

I came from the generation prior to the mk IV. :) so without attachments, I would not be able to. Being able to remotely access the shutter and transfer photos to my phone became simpler.

Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • naknak Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins

My experience compared to the Mark 3 was that you definitely get at least one more usable f-stop worth of ISO performance, possibly two. My keep rate improved noticeably for low available light (no flash) handheld candids, mostly because I could set a 1/250 minimum shutter speed.

• compasiune11compasiune11 Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins

Great Dslr from Canon, or should I say the best.
    I own it for one year now. I use it for wedding and portrait work, and it it the best DSLR I 've ever owned

Fotograf Nunta | Fotograf Brasov
    Canon 5DIV | Canon EF 35 f1.4 L II | Canon 24-70 f2.8 L II | Canon 70-200 f2.8 L II IS | Canon 16-35 f4 L IS