This year's crop

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited November 28, 2017 in People

Been a while, hope you all are well. Here's my current crop of Senior Portraits for the class of 2018..

-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins

All very nice sir. Are you using a wireless flash gun on a pole to get catchlights in the eyes, or is that all sun? Love them all, especially the water shots. Noticing your DOF on #1... was that with f2? I see everything from his left ear over slightly oof as though you had a shallower dof than the other images...., I am betting all of these young gents are quite happy as they should be.

Lee Wiren
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins

Thanks Lee! Wireless off-camera flash on 1 and 3, on-camera naked flash on 2 and 4. Apertures were f/3.2, f/5.6, f/6.3, f/5.6 with a Canon 70-200/2.8II on a 5DSR. In #4 he wanted the lighthouse on the shore to be noticeable as it is a local landmark. Also he is on the sailing team and behind him is the waterfront where they sail from. Kind of wish I had used f/8 on #3 to further define the many dinghies behind him, tied to the dock he is sitting on.

By the way, if you use Firefox, there is a neat plugin called Fxif that allows you to right click any image and view the Exif info, if present.

-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

A couple more...

-Jack

• IMAGEMAXIMAGEMAX Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins

Looks like you got it right, great and I'll bet they liked them! I would eliminate the I believe it is a tree to the picture right to the left of his head in the last one (just a suggestion, they are great as they are and you did a wonderful job)! And...you got them to smile! Larry

Thanks Larry (sorry for the delay). I see what you're saying about the tree, however that background is very recognizable to people in town, and it places the subject in context. Deleting the tree would be obvious.

-Jack

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins

First post are really great images. In the last two the sky kills it for me but we all have different tastes so that is ok.

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2017

1, 4, and the first of the 2nd batch are my preferences.
    2 highlights seem a bit hot and the framing is in between a head shot and a portrait. Just feels strange for some reason.
    3 the lighting and background in this feel like an in studio shot with a fake background. I also do not like the right hand in this one. I always have them hook their thumbs in a pocket or belt loop to prevent this.
    Overall good stuff. I am sure your clients were happy.

"The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion