Three old shots

JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

CCs welcome

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator

Image #1 has too much competition between subject and background. Just does not work for me.

Image #2 is a very good example of a "bullseye" composition and works very nicely. Betting that this image would print nicely at a large size.

Image #3 ticks all of the right boxes in terms of great composition, very nice subject matter and proper positioning, in this case orienting the shell aperture to the bottom and highlighting the dual repeating themes of shape and pattern. A really superb image in visioning, staging, capture and execution.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

@ziggy53 said:
    Image #1 has too much competition between subject and background. Just does not work for me.

Image #2 is a very good example of a "bullseye" composition and works very nicely. Betting that this image would print nicely at a large size.

Image #3 ticks all of the right boxes in terms of great composition, very nice subject matter and proper positioning, in this case orienting the shell aperture to the bottom and highlighting the dual repeating themes of shape and pattern. A really superb image in visioning, staging, capture and execution.

Great comments. Thank you very much! This is what DGrin is all about.

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

I'm liking number 2 and 3 quite a bit. I might be tempted to rotate number 2 counter clockwise although I'm not sure it's going to get any better than it already it.

The shell is also well done that I think cropping a bit off the left edge would make it more compelling. That's just my thought.

Steve

Website

Thanks for the comments Steve.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Great stuff!

Thanks Taz.

Here is another version of #3 that I think I like better.

• kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2017

I'm very impressed by #2 and #3.

The #2 really draws me in, I would say even more then the recent shot of Guggenheim that you posted. The repeating highlight patterns in increasing strengths on the stairway are just superb captured, and finally the pattern on the glass constructions in the middle acts as full stop for me, giving much room for interpretation. Top notch picture.

What I like about #3 besides its technical perfection (as far as I'm able to judge it) is, that there's different details in the reflection than in the subject itself (the shell's aperture), well worked out. Personally, I like the original (slightly lighter one) version more than the darker version you reposted.

Two very good examples why I love B&W photography so much. I hope you don't mind if I say your photos are a true inspiration for me! :)

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

Thank you. I think I agree with you on the original version of #3

Thanks for looking.