Turtle Town

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

A few from today's snorkel sesh. I was gifted an underwater housing & camera combo not too long ago, so I decided to test it out. It's an old Canon 20D coupled with a 17-40 f/4 L. These images are what I came away with, in all their 8MP glory :smiley:

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Very nice. :+1:

• IMAGEMAXIMAGEMAX Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins

JonaBeth, I love every one of these! Still have a 20D I use occasionally, still creates great images.

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Mahalo for the compliments friends! I wish so much that this old camera could record video, but for a freebie I'll never complain :)

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Oh wow! Killer shots! Bravo JBR! You keep pushing the limits!

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins

Coincidentally, I've been checking out / googling turtle pics for an idea I'm messing around with - some of these - especially the first - will certainly get added to my collection of reference pics - ta. :)

Nowt wrong, btw with a lowly 20D - some of the shots on my site were taken with one.

pp

@Stumblebum said:
    Oh wow! Killer shots! Bravo JBR! You keep pushing the limits!

Thanks, my friend! I'm just trying to keep up with all you superstars!!

@puzzledpaul said:
    Coincidentally, I've been checking out / googling turtle pics for an idea I'm messing around with - some of these - especially the first - will certainly get added to my collection of reference pics - ta. :)

Nowt wrong, btw with a lowly 20D - some of the shots on my site were taken with one.

pp

Glad to hear I could help inspire something! And definitely impressed with the 20D, looking forward to using it even more.

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited November 14, 2017

I prefer 1, 3 and 4.

Regarding the 20D, I went back to my LR catalog and I found several thousand frames shot with a 10D or a 20D, and even more with a 40D. They didn't handle high contrast scenes well, but if the light was soft, and the lens was sharp, and you achieved good AF ( more light usually helped ) they would produce lovely files. Especially with modern editing software like Lightroom Classic CC now.

I love going back and re-editing files from a decade or more ago, sometime you can find real gems buried in there. I found this one I shot in March of 2005, after reading your post above -

https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/March-2005-New-Mexico-Colorado/i-MGJNMDr/0/96ff2f22/X2/Sandhill in flight 20D L 2005 1227--X2.jpg

I need to go back and review some of those files again I see.

Good luck shooting underwater, that can really be fun to do. Warmer in Hawaii than in Lake Superior too!

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Nice set 1, 3 and 5 are my favorites!

@pathfinder said:
    I prefer 1, 3 and 4.

Regarding the 20D, I went back to my LR catalog and I found several thousand frames shot with a 10D or a 20D, and even more with a 40D. They didn't handle high contrast scenes well, but if the light was soft, and the lens was sharp, and you achieved good AF ( more light usually helped ) they would produce lovely files. Especially with modern editing software like Lightroom Classic CC now.

I love going back and re-editing files from a decade or more ago, sometime you can find real gems buried in there. I found this one I shot in March of 2005, after reading your post above -

https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/March-2005-New-Mexico-Colorado/i-MGJNMDr/0/96ff2f22/X2/Sandhill in flight 20D L 2005 1227--X2.jpg

I need to go back and review some of those files again I see.

Good luck shooting underwater, that can really be fun to do. Warmer in Hawaii than in Lake Superior too!

Such words of wisdom indeed. I love re-visiting old files when I can, but honestly the past year has been a whirlwind of busy work, robbing myself of personal shooter for fun time. This turtle chasing gig was a perfect 'remember why I love photography' day. I can't wait to get out again when the water is more clear. Believe it or not, this was a medium visibility day!

@Juano said:
    Nice set 1, 3 and 5 are my favorites!

I'm seeing a pretty common theme here, and it's nice! Thanks for the feedback and taking the time to view.