What's the latest opinion of CC?

sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins

Alas, I have dreaded this day, but a recent failure in my CS5 PS and InDesign apps - unfixable - has forced me into considering subscribing to the cloud. I will need the $49.99/mo subscription. I remember that in the beginning there was a lot of kicking and screaming, but how are people feeling about it now? Thanks!

Comments

• sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins

Okay, never mind. Sticking with my CS5. Cheers!

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited November 7, 2017

@sara505 said:
    Alas, I have dreaded this day, but a recent failure in my CS5 PS and InDesign apps - unfixable - has forced me into considering subscribing to the cloud. I will need the $49.99/mo subscription. I remember that in the beginning there was a lot of kicking and screaming, but how are people feeling about it now? Thanks!

Do you need the full suite? There is what Adobe is calling a "photography plan" that is $9.99/month - but it only includes photoshop, lightroom cc, and lightroom classic.
    http://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html

Clearly if you need other apps from Adobe this won't be right for you.

I just upgraded to the photography plan because I upgraded my camera and the camera profile wasn't included in the version I was using. I considered getting LR6 but after talking to some people about the differences in Lightroom I decided I would like to have updates to the product as opposed to a static version.

I don't know that I would have upgraded if I needed the full suite of products - while I can (sort of) accept $9.99 a month, 5 times that amount feels too pricey to me.

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

I've been on the photography plan for a couple years now and have found it works rather well. For me at least.

I do like the latest version of LR CC Classic. I find it faster and smoother to operate than the previous version of LR CC.

I wondered if I would have issues with two laptops and a desktop using the Creative Cloud subscription - a MacPro and a Mac Air ( for air travel ) and a desktop. But Adobe allows you to decide which laptop you want to be active and available for use and which you want to be inactive. You can still have the software on your hard drives and update them as they come out, but if you use more than two computers , you can only have two computers active at a time. Takes less than a minute or two to switch. You do not need continuous web access for the Creative Cloud - I have used mine traveling several times for days without web access. You do need to make sure that you connect at least once a month I think it is, so I always make sure my laptops have been used recently at home before I leave for travel.

I would not pay more than $9.99 a month, but I do like always having the most up to date versions of LR and PS available. I do export versions of my most important images so that I can always print them in the future whether I continue with Adobe or not.

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins

I recently purchased a Fujifilm mirrorless camera and last fall built a new PC. Photoshop elements no longer offers curves adjustments and other editing tools so I am feeling pushed into the lighroom / CC environment.

I downloaded the 30 day trial in order to evaluate whether I need to upgrade my CPU (I went cheap on the initial build with an eye toward upgrading after kaby lake was released) and also to learn what tools are available within lightroom.

Importantly (and contrary to @denisegoldberg note above, the lighroom CC plan is 9.99 a month but the 'photography' plan including photoshop is 19.99/mo. That's a little steep for my casual use which really only requires organization, raw conversion, and mild straighten/crop/curves/NR adjustments.

I will reply to this thread after I have a chance to better understand the leap from Elements and what gaps exist in LR CC that may inspire me to double the monthly payment for access to PS.

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

@Grainbelt There are actually three plans priced according to how much cloud storage you want. The plan I have is the same as Denise's for $9,99 (11,99€) and includes 20GB of storage. The $19,99 plan includes 1TB of storage. Since I don't store my photos in the cloud it's not an issue for me.

There are a couple of new features in LIghtroom Classic CC that I love but I am more that a bit irritated that instead of working on the core keywording engine they added the for me useless "cloud" version, Lightroom CC (i.e. not Classic).

edited November 15, 2017

I'll have to check but I am pretty certain I pay Adobe $9.99 a month and I have Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC 2018 version - I have no interest in the the web based Lightroom CC. I have been on this plan since Adobe reduced the price several years ago. I do not use any cloud storage at Adobe.

• GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2017

@pathfinder said:
    I'll have to check but I am pretty certain I pay Adobe $9.99 a month and I have Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC 2018 version - I have no interest in the the web based Lightroom CC. I have been on this plan since Adobe reduced the price several years ago. I do not use any cloud storage at Adobe.

Upon deeper inspection you are both correct. :blush:

Within the page here: https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html I was able to locate the 20GB Photography plan at $9.99 which is the same price as the standalone Lighroom CC 1TB plan. As have local backups and use smugmug I don't really need storage, so it appears the 20GB Photography plan at $9.99 will be the path forward.

Many thanks!

edited November 19, 2017

FWIW - I did check my latest bill from Adobe, and found I am currently paying $10.99 now. Who knew. One buck a month won't change my mind about LR CC Classic + PS CC.

I like them both

@pathfinder said:
    FWIW - I did check my latest bill from Adobe, and found I am currently paying $10.99 now. Who knew. One buck a month won't change my mind about LR CC Classic + PS CC.

I just checked my Adobe invoice - the amount above $9.99 shows as sales tax.

Ah, you're right, that may explain the difference is price, I know I originally was paying $9.99

Whether the extra amount ends up in Adobe's hands, or the states, really doesn't matter in deciding whether I purchase it or not, though, as I still have to fund/pay it . Right??

@pathfinder said:
    Ah, you're right, that may explain the difference is price, I know I originally was paying $9.99

Whether the extra amount ends up in Adobe's hands, or the states, really doesn't matter in deciding whether I purchase it or not, though, as I still have to fund/pay it . Right??

Absolutely. I just thought it was worth checking that we are being charged the advertised amount, don't remember any indication of paying sales tax but I suppose it makes a certain amount of sense.

• MarkSykesMarkSykes Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    I like the latest version of Ps CC 2018, mainly because it doesn't crash as much as previous versions.
    I'm sure the Adobe engineers are working on a fix for that ;)

I do too, and FINALLY the Select and Mask command and the Select and Mask tools are working on my computer now - I have been waiting quite impatiently for Adobe to get that running on my machine. I had been watching videos of how great the Select and Mask set of tools were on YouTube for over a year, but it NEVER worked on mine at all; but now it does and that is a very pleasing thing. And it doesn't crash at all either.

• nisaardaninisaardani New member Posts: 12 Beginner grinner

thaks