Mini Challenge #257 - Black & White

CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins

This challenge is simple. Let me see your favorite Black & White shots.
Any subject is fine. Just want to see the shots you felt only black & white would do justice.

You will have from Wednesday, November 22, 2017 8 am, till Tuesday, December 5th 2017 8 pm (Central time) to complete this task! Have fun with it!

Check out the Mini Challenge rules if you haven't already, You can find them at https://dgrin.com/discussion/248032/mini-challenge-un-official-rules

Here area few of my favorites:

Jeromy
http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
Light is everything in life and photography.

Comments

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

Here are my entries:

1) Two guys in a hot rod. Kool April Nites in Redding, Ca. These guys were just too cool for school and they knew it, as you can tell by their attitude. The hot rod was a bright red, but the overall panning effect looked better in BW.

2) Fern Creek. Yosemite, Ca. Fern Creek to me is always dramatic and BW suits it.

3) Point Arena Lighthouse, Mendocino coast, Ca.

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

OK, I'll jump in right away on this one, too. In the first two cases I found that b&w helped isolate the subject matter, in the third I like the way the b&w helps my eye concentrate on the forms.

1) Sisterly support: wading in the Dordogne

2) Goin' to the opera: people-watching in St. Mark's Square, Venice

3) Arch support: the Basilica in Vézelay, France

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2017

I do not really like doing black and white photos. So this is all a little out-of-my-comfort-zone Back in the 80s I took a course in photography which included developing our own film. I did quite a bit of conversion of color print to black and white (mostly because I almost never used black and white film). And I practiced dodging and burning - like in this photo of my daughter

1- Young Equestrian

I did use b&w film in two cases - one was shooting an Antique Airplane fly-in in Watsonville California c 1965 because I wanted to submit an article to an Antique Automobile magazine which required b&w photos, and once in the early 80s when I was considering doing photos of horse competitions for sale. (I decided it was too much trouble for the amount renumeration - of course in those days I had to buy film and pay for postage.) I also did some for one of the minis some time ago. But I don't want to use them again. So I've picked two others

2. - Stairs

3- Black Rose

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • DPT_StudioDPT_Studio Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2017

Here are my 3 Noir pictures

Alcatraz

Florida

Slovakia
    All pictures were shot on NIKON
    More B&W below
    dpt-studio.com/Noir-Gallery/

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

I'm back from vacation! This will be a fun one.

1 Paradox: A Pair of pants

2 Love me

3 Hard Life

• BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2017

Great challenge! I know this is Digital Grin, but all these shots were originally shot on film.

1. Kure Beach, NC

2. Wilmington Beach, NC

3. Prism shot

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Many Grins
    edited November 23, 2017

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Great Challenge!

Reminds me of when I started in photography, with filling cassettes, developing my own film and printing in the darkroom.
    All with stained hands and intoxicated by the smell of acetic acid and other chemicals :/
    These days the process is much simpler and more consistent :)

Cloisters

Morning mist

Stockman spiral

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

Wow, everybody - really some great shots!

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

Great shots so far! Since I haven't done much conversion or even any B&W film work back in the day I have used this challenge as a learning experience. Here are the results of my efforts. One thing I have learned is that I should do some more of this. It was definitely fun seeing what is hiding in my color photos.

1. Shadow Relaxing - The soft colors and tones in this photo made me want to give it a charcoal sketch appearance. I'm not sure I really got there...

2. Skitz in Dramatic Light - This was also a lighting experiment, one of my first attempts at off camera lighting. I tried to preserve the dramatic directional lighting while maintaining detail.

3. USS Missouri, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii

~~Barbara
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins

Also not really my gig - so what follows is just the results of a bit of messing around.

Territorial dispute - Whilst this was posted sometime before, this is both a b/w and re-crop - I thought a swan was near enough to required tones (apart from bill) so gave it a go.

Welsh tree - Mrs pp and I recently visited older daughter in said location - this was in the field next to where we stayed.

Lost: 100 friends - Just happened upon this'un and thought it might have some (minor?) appeal to the canine contingent. One of the dog walkers (+ daughter) + dog that frequent venue.

Picking 'favourites' from my bw collection would be difficult - as I don't have a bw collection :)

pp

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

I have been having a lot of fun with black and white images this year (not necessarily success - but learning lots in any case). These are my favourites

This image of an anemone seed head is one I have used before, but as an example. The seed head was backlit and set against a gold background so I was pretty sure it would only work in black and white.

I keep going back to this setting, which is near my home, taking images under different light, at different times of the year.

A pedestrian bridge (Esplanade Riel) over the Red River in Winnipeg.

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited December 6, 2017

Just realized that this challenge is about to end! Had planned to participate, so here 3 entries from me.

1) Young Elephant in Masai Mara

2) Sacre Couer (looking over the rooftops from our hotel room in Paris)

3) Fountain in Paris (taken with iPhone through the window of a bus)

• CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins

Sorry for the delay.
    Lots of great photos! I will post the results soon!!

Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.