Together... yet, alone...

EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins

...in the Brave New (Virtual) World.
(apologies to Aldous Huxley)

Eric ~ Smugmug

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Very poignant series, makes a strong statement about the impact electronics has in our society. As always, I like your conversion work.....good contrast and strong blacks.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Love the top-most shot. I might suggest a stronger comp would be to crop out the woman on the right that is engrossed in something non-VR related.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

Good series showing the world we live in.... Hmmmm....

Rags
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins

@black mamba said:
    Very poignant series, makes a strong statement about the impact electronics has in our society. As always, I like your conversion work.....good contrast and strong blacks.

Thanks for looking-in Tom, always appreciate hearing your impressions!

Re: Blacks and contrast...
    Recently, I had a great experience when I answered an ad to buy a used lens... turns-out the seller was a very talented photographer, and I was able to
    have him critique some shots when I met-up with him... His advice regarding my conversions - which was spot-on - was to lay-off the clarity slider whenever possible,
    and don't be a slave to the histogram... lower my black-point and don't be afraid of clipping when it suits the image. I went back and re-processed some images with these suggestions
    in mind and really liked the results.

Take care, Sir!

Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited December 10, 2016

@David_S85 said:
    Love the top-most shot. I might suggest a stronger comp would be to crop out the woman on the right that is engrossed in something non-VR related.

Thank-you David... yes, I was pleased when the scene in #1 presented itself... I had to laugh... I was actually behind the booth on the sidewalk and scurried around to catch this side.
    Yup, I wish the background was more pleasing, but, such is street photography... so, I ended-up leaving her in because I didn't want to lose any of the young man on the right,
    and, her glasses also made me laugh! Thanks much for your feedback!

Eric ~ Smugmug

@torags said:
    Good series showing the world we live in.... Hmmmm....

Thanks rags!
    Hmmmm... I know, right?... It's the new paradigm... I see babies using hand-held electronic devices...
    A whole population now joined-at-the-fingers with their smart phones, etc...
    They say the the occurrence of neck problems and other ergonomic maladies is on a sharp increase... go figure!

Eric ~ Smugmug
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Excellent idea, very good series clap clap!

• travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins

Cool! :)

Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com

@Juano said:
    Excellent idea, very good series clap clap!

Thanks Buddy! B)

Eric ~ Smugmug

@travelways said:
    Cool! :)

Thanks Tatiana! (thumbs-up!)

Eric ~ Smugmug
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

I love this series, although it also disturbs. The last shot says it all - it speaks to your title of together, yet alone. Great job, Eric.

@Cavalier said:
    I love this series, although it also disturbs. The last shot says it all - it speaks to your title of together, yet alone. Great job, Eric.

Thanks very much Jo, I'm glad you enjoyed this series!
    Yes, it's a different sensibility these days, regarding inter-personal communications...
    I think we must adapt... and, I confess to using devices also (long-time gearhead), however, I intend to resist the "obsession" I see on display all around us!
    Cheers!

Eric ~ Smugmug
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited December 12, 2016

@David_S85 said:

Yeah, but you'd have to amputate an elbow. Dunno.
    The first one is also my favorite. We've seen lots of cell phone pics by now, but people wearing VR headgear isn't as common. It's also rather ironic that they seem to be next to a very attractive bay, which they are ignoring. That's the thing I like best about the shot. Or is that a poster, come to think of it? Oh well, we're all just living in a computer simulation anyway. And, yeah, it's sad.

edited December 13, 2016

@Richard said:

@David_S85 said:

Yeah, but you'd have to amputate an elbow. Dunno.
    The first one is also my favorite. We've seen lots of cell phone pics by now, but people wearing VR headgear isn't as common. It's also rather ironic that they seem to be next to a very attractive bay, which they are ignoring. That's the thing I like best about the shot. Or is that a poster, come to think of it? Oh well, we're all just living in a computer simulation anyway. And, yeah, it's sad.

It's a poster, Richard... nothing is real... (giggling emoji)!
    Okay... if we have to live in a computer simulation, can I ask that mine not run on a Windows system... I think we all know why.. hahahaha :D

Eric ~ Smugmug
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

@Earache said:
    Okay... if we have to live in a computer simulation, can I ask that mine not run on a Windows system... I think we all know why.. hahahaha :D

Don't worry--I'm quite sure the simulation runs on a virtual machine. It's simulation all the way down... ;)

• PotshotsPotshots Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    Sad comment on our "new" world