Digital Grin APP ?

DPT_StudioDPT_Studio Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited November 21, 2017 in Dgrin Forum Support

Digital Grin APP ? Is there going to be one soon? I was amazed to find out that there is no app. I don’t know about everyone else but It is really difficult to navigate on the phone.

Thank You in Advance.

David T. @ DPT-Studio

Tagged:

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,213 moderator
    edited November 21, 2017

@DPT_Studio said:
    I don’t know about everyone else but It is really difficult to navigate on the phone.

I find it quite reasonable on my phone. I usually start with the "discussions" entry to see the latest updates but I have also browsed through the categories at times. I have participated in discussions from my phone as well.

DGrin uses Vanilla forums. Given the following statement on their website (https://vanillaforums.com/en/features/mobile/), I would not expect to see a mobile app.

Browser agent detection ensures Vanilla displays the correct theme. Vanilla's lightweight mobile theme is optimized to deliver a great user experience on a small screen.

• DPT_StudioDPT_Studio Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins

I hope that the grin App is in the works. I can’t believe no one is concerned about this. The Browser on mobile devices just does not work like it should. Difficult really difficult to navigate !!!

Thank You

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,748 moderator
    edited November 28, 2017

@DPT_Studio said:
    I hope that the grin App is in the works. I can’t believe no one is concerned about this. The Browser on mobile devices just does not work like it should. Difficult really difficult to navigate !!!

Thank You

I am replying to your comment from my bed, using a Samsung Galaxy "J" series phone in landscape mode with Google Chrome. (Android 6.0.1)
    Really no problem other than my typing speed is slower than on a real keyboard and mouse.
    Not sure why you think this should be difficult?

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • DPT_StudioDPT_Studio Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins

I am surprised that no one agrees with me. Either way should not be that hard to make app .... I almost never use Browser on my phone. Apparently this is non Issue. FYI SMUG MUG have a App for the phone as well as Apple TV. I am letting go ZZzzz...

All I am saying it is Crippled on the phone .

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,891 moderator

Dgrin runs on a proprietary server, Vanilla, so it is not up to us to develop a phone app. I have read some discussion of developing an iOS app for Vanilla users, but AFAIK, it's not ready for prime time yet. Personally, I've accessed Dgrin using Safari on an iPad while traveling and apart from hating typing on it, I didn't find it a problem. I would probably hate typing even more on a phone, I suppose, app or no app. Dunno.

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,213 moderator
    edited November 30, 2017

@DPT_Studio said:
    Either way should not be that hard to make app ....

Given that DGrin runs on forum software that is licensed from a vendor and that vendor's web site states the following, you should try the app on a browser on your phone.

Mobile Support
    Browser agent detection ensures Vanilla displays the correct theme. Vanilla's lightweight mobile theme is optimized to deliver a great user experience on a small screen.

Renders perfectly in mobile browsers.
    No more frustrations with mobile support of downloading an app