Options

Eight women (three versions)

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,912 moderator
edited November 4, 2017 in Street and Documentary

Dunno.

Comments

• Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,829 Major grins

I like the first bw only best. Really a great see Richard, love the contrast in the type of interaction between the two groups.

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

I think the last one is kind of fun.

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,181 moderator

1st. The selective color doesn't work for me in this situation.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins

I prefer the color version

Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,181 moderator

I am warming up to the all color version now, but still like the B&W better.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins

Ok, contrary me really likes #3 best. it seems also to identify the differences between the groups as well. Love it!

• Options
    edited October 20, 2017

Thanks for the interesting feedback, everyone. I originally posted the color version on SmugMug, but the more I looked at it, the more I found the colors of the civilian women jarring, especially the red pants. So I decided to post a B&W version here, which seemed to work OK. Still, I missed the blue of the nuns, so I tried a selective color version just as an experiment. I've never been a fan of selective color--I've only ever done one that I was fully happy with--and I guess this hasn't really changed my mind. Yeah, it solves my color quandary, but otherwise I don't think it adds to the narrative. Still, it's kind of cool. But also contrived. Dunno--I'll have to look again in a few days.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Many Grins
    edited October 20, 2017

And I miss the fourth version. The seculars in color and the clericals in B&W could give some associations. :)

• Options

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:
    And I miss the fourth version. The seculars in color and the clericals in B&W could give some associations. :)

Hmm...I hadn't thought of that. I just tried it, but didn't really like the results. I had to darken the habits some to emphasize the point, but then it ended up telling a different story, one that I didn't really have in mind. And the red pants were still there. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

I like the first one best myself. The scene just works better for me in black and white.

Steve

Website
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited October 22, 2017

2nd is my fav. I like the realistic contrast between the multiple color of the one disorganized group of ladies and the formal blue uniform of the tight knit group. Great catch Richard!

• Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins

Well seen / good catch .. have you considered cropping out the bit of 'street furniture' (or whatever it is) ... on frame left?

pp

• Options

Thanks Steve and Joyce. Looks like there's something for everyone here

@puzzledpaul said:
    have you considered cropping out the bit of 'street furniture' (or whatever it is) ... on frame left?

I considered it but thought it put the nuns too close to the edge of the frame. Looking at it again, it seems like it might work. Thanks, Paul.

• Options

Re the crop possibility, I actually tried it before posting - and - to my eyes anyway, because of the relatively small amount of 'daylight' behind the rightmost woman ... it seemed to work ... and ended up as an almost spot on 4:3 shot (not that 'numbers' really matter).
    Whilst the main subject matter is strong, its presence was enough of an 'eye pull' - to me - to comment.

In many shots the prominent dark vertical structure could easily be a right pita - but here, it definitely adds to the pic.

It's also an interesting pic re my usual comment - using a low / different pov - since whilst this wouldn't change the absolute height of the two groups - it would certainly have the potential to change the emphasis / relationship between them.
    I've no real idea whether there's a religious / secular element / aspect to what's going on in your neck 'o the woods atm - but I could easily imagine how this shot taken from my usual pov could result in comments.

The shot would make a good discussion piece from the pov level alone imo ... and it'd be relatively easy to change the position of the nuns group to illustrate same .

pp

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2017

Number 1 for me

Looks like a slight hill, well seen & composed

Nice work Richard

Rags
  • Options

Thanks, Rags. Yes, it was a slight incline.

@puzzledpaul said:
    Re the crop possibility, I actually tried it before posting - and - to my eyes anyway, because of the relatively small amount of 'daylight' behind the rightmost woman ... it seemed to work ...
    The shot would make a good discussion piece from the pov level alone imo ... and it'd be relatively easy to change the position of the nuns group to illustrate same .

RE: crop. You're correct. It also applies to the height of the tallest woman, so it would be consistent with the rest.
    I'm not sure I understand what you're suggesting about the position of the nuns--do you mean as an exercise or as an actual edit? The latter doesn't look easy to me, dunno.

• Options
    edited October 30, 2017

Re nuns position ... no, I wasn't really suggesting you actually do anything ... it (the pic) just struck me as a good example (imo) of the sort of thing often seen when an image / picture editor decides on a particular emphasis for a story headline.
    Typically observed when 2 'major players' in world politics (say) meet up for sarnies and a natter ... who's going to have their shoulder in front of the other, situation ?

Moving the nuns group up / down would be relatively easy because of the (essentially) vertically aligned (and otherwise clean, uncluttered) bg - to end up with a convincing pic would, of course be another matter - but that wasn't my intention.

pp

• Options

Got it. Yes, I agree that subtle changes can tell a different story.

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Cool shot! I like the first two but selective color is always artificial to me. I'd consider staying with color but locally reducing the saturation of the reds and the yellow blouse. It's also fine as is, but the jarring colors would bother me after a while.

• Options
    edited November 4, 2017

Good idea Don. I've gotten lazy about targeted color adjustment, but this might be a good time to use it.

I like it. Thanks for the suggestion. :+1:

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,797 moderator
    edited November 4, 2017

@Cornflake said:
    Cool shot! I like the first two but selective color is always artificial to me. I'd consider staying with color but locally reducing the saturation of the reds and the yellow blouse. It's also fine as is, but the jarring colors would bother me after a while.

@Richard said:
    Good idea Don. I've gotten lazy about targeted color adjustment, but this might be a good time to use it.

I like it. Thanks for the suggestion. :+1:

Bingo! This version works much better. Now the two groups are more equal in terms of visual attention. Great suggestion by Cornflake/Don and a wonderful implementation by Richard!

Gotta say, this thread discussion by all members involved has been one of the best on this forum. This caliber of people is the reason I stay here, at the Digital Grin.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator

@Richard said:

This is now my favorite of the set. It is more subtle than the first color version; I prefer this one over the B&W.

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

This relates to the resolution of current great sensors...

They can be better and beyond reality to the edge artificiality....

Rags
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

I also think it's an improvement.

• Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,829 Major grins

I've taken one more look at all of the versions and I still am fondest of the very first bw version for the reason that it cuts to the core of the contrast between the two groups "sacred and secular". For me the contrast between the two groups doesn't necessarily need the color - it's there in the differing body positions and clothing of the two groups. That said, I also agree that the last version with selective desaturation is a good way of working it.

@ziggy53: yes, it's sure nice to see an active discussion take place! I'm always learning here.

• Options
    edited November 6, 2017

Yes, this discussion has been quite helpful. I hadn't considered desaturation before, but it was a big improvement for the color version. I also like the B&W.

Thanks again to all for your feedback. :+1:

• Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins

Hi Richard,

Nice shot! As it is I like the desaturated color shot the best! If you still fell like working on this picture I would suggest making a selective color version where only the women in front are B/W the rest of the picture in color, would be very interesting to see how that would pan out.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers
    Michiel

*In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins

My how things have changed in this forum. Selective color? I should call you "Tony"...

B/W all the way for me. Then the attention is drawn entirely to the two groups first and the contrast between them which to me is the gist of the photo.
    Once you go to color, my eyes and brain become really busy. The faces on the right command attention. The wall commands attention. So do the flowers. And if the shot were just of the nuns, then the blue might have been nice visually, but with the second group becomes distracting again. You might think the blues connect the two groups, but this happens quicker and better in black and white.

BTW, this would have been a different discussion about the merits of this photo (I really like it!) if you had only posted the B/W version.

• Options

Thanks for commenting, Michiel and rainbow. Both the B&W and the desaturated color one work for me. I rather like the detail of the flowers the nun is holding, which tends to get lost in B&W. But I absolutely refuse to do a version with only the flowers in color I'll try most anything, but I'm really not much of a selective color fan.