Never Ending Games Challenge Discussion Thread

Comments

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

@pegelli said:
    V is for a VW van

Wow, that van is in better condition than the ones I remember from 50+ years ago. Of course, from that long ago the memory could be faded rather than the vans...

~~Barbara
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

@bfluegie said:
    Circles on a line (maybe not as intended)

This is awesome!
    Where / what is it?

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

@denisegoldberg said:

@bfluegie said:
    Circles on a line (maybe not as intended)

This is awesome!
    Where / what is it?

San Diego Convention Center. Several years ago I was at a conference there. I was participating in a now-defunct photo website and there was a challenge called "vanishing point". My conference was finished and I was going down the escalator to my car when I saw this. I went back to the car go get my camera (couldn't have it in the conference) and rode up and down several times getting different angles and zooms on this. If you look to the end there is another set of escalators there. I had to explain what was going on to a suspicious security guard who wondered why I was going up and down the same escalators taking pictures. Photographers do some weird things... These windows are facing the street. I don't have any outside photos but here is a link.

~~Barbara
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

He seems to confirm who is man's best friend :)

Yes indeed Jorgen. Thanks!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Many Grins
    edited December 19, 2017

@pegelli said:
    Chestnut leaf shape

May be - among others - the Canadians (Wikipedia) will be a little surprised :D

@pegelli said:
    B is for a Black bird (don't think it's a blackbird ;) )

This time you are right. It's not a blackbird. :) It seems a little too small to be a Raven. I guess it's a Rook, but I am not sure.

@JAG said:
    T is for Twin Peaks.

This is wonderful Joyce! Where was it taken?

@denisegoldberg said:

@JAG said:
    T is for Twin Peaks.

>
    This is wonderful Joyce! Where was it taken?

Thanks Denise! This was taken from our dock on Wasilla Lake in Alaska.

edited January 12, 2018

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:
    I is for Iris

I'm confused. This looks like a butterfly to me. The two meanings of iris that I am familiar with is the flower, and the circular structure of the eye. Can you point out the iris in this photo?

edited January 12, 2018

@denisegoldberg said:

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:
    I is for Iris

I'm confused. This looks like a butterfly to me. The two meanings of iris that I am familiar with is the flower, and the circular structure of the eye. Can you point out the iris in this photo?

Apatura is a genus of butterflies commonly known as the emperors. The butterfly on the picture is Apatura Iris or Purple Emperor. I guess that "Iris" has something to do with the two spots on the wings - called eyespots (at least in Danish). It's a little peculiar that this butterfly bears the Iris name. It's "sister" Apatura Ilia also have eyespots on the front wings.

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

Apatura is a genus of butterflies commonly known as the emperors. The butterfly on the picture is Apatura Iris or Purple Emperor. I guess that "Iris" has something to do with the two spots on the wings - called eyespots (at least in Danish). It's a little peculiar that this butterfly bears the Iris name. It's "sister" Apatura Ilia also have eyespots on the front wings.

Thanks! I figured it must be something like that, good to have the explanation.

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:
    Pattern of circles of different sizes

Next: Shape of soap bubbles

Forgot to look on the next page? ;)

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

Next: multicolored trailer

Shouldn't that be "multocoloured" or "trailer shape", I though we weren't supposed to ask for two things at the same time.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug

@pegelli said:

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

Next: multicolored trailer

Shouldn't that be "multocoloured" or "trailer shape", I though we weren't supposed to ask for two things at the same time.

May be you are right, but I have done it before without any objections (multicolored diamond pattern and pattern with colored light bulbs). Other examples of double demands are: black and white in a color photo - green, but not from a plant or vegetation - half moon shaped (but not the moon) - sunset colors but not in a sunset (or sunrise) - at least 5 colors of the rainbow, but not in a rainbow shape - shades of gray in a color photo - red, white and blue not in a flag - orange and grey (and not a lot of other colours).

Might be right indeed, "multi-colored" is not as specific as one designated color.

I looked through my archive and found out we need to wait for someone else. :/

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug

@pegelli said:
    Might be right indeed, "multi-colored" is not as specific as one designated color.

May be you should have used a little of your energy when I pointed out that a maple leaf is not a chestnut leaf. :):):) There was no reaction from you at all.

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

@pegelli said:
    Chestnut leaf shape

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

@pegelli said:

May be you should have used a little of your energy when I pointed out that a maple leaf is not a chestnut leaf. :):):) There was no reaction from you at all.

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

@pegelli said:
    Chestnut leaf shape

Well, I think the "shapes" of Maple and Chestnut leaves are close enough. I think that's the fun of this challenge, find a shape that's a bit different but still similar enough from what can be expected ;)

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
    edited January 30, 2018

@pegelli said:

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

@pegelli said:

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

@pegelli said:
    Chestnut leaf shape

Well, I think the "shapes" of Maple and Chestnut leaves are close enough. I think that's the fun of this challenge, find a shape that's a bit different but still similar enough from what can be expected ;)

Well, this is a game, when you are far from right and else not.

@pegelli: Do me a favour. Search "chestnut leaves" on the Internet, look at the pics and find one that have a shape close to maple leaf.

edited February 10, 2018

Does anybody know what's up with Tatiana/Travelways?

According to her profile her last post was from May 11 last year, but she's been "active" on the site (I think this means logged in and looking) february 5 this year

She was always an avid poster and participated in the mini challenges, but now she seems to be very quiet :/

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

@pegelli said:

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

@pegelli said:

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

@pegelli said:
    Chestnut leaf shape

@pegelli: Do me a favour. Search "chestnut leaves" on the Internet, look at the pics and find one that have a shape close to maple leaf.

I wish there was a "thumbs down" option, life's too short for this nonsence.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
    edited February 11, 2018

@pegelli said:

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

@pegelli said:

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

@pegelli said:

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

@pegelli said:
    Chestnut leaf shape

I wish there was a "thumbs down" option, life's too short for this nonsence.

The only problem is, that you haven't got the necessary guts to admit, that you made a blunder. The shape of a maple leaf is not even close to the shape of a chestnut leaf. And remember, that you are first in line, when something doesn't fulfill your demands in all details.

edited February 11, 2018

Spot the similarities:

Chestnut leaf :

Maple leaf:

If you don't think that's close enough fine, ask a moderator to remove it.
    If you can now admit I didn't make a blunder that's fine too.

And where you got the idea that "I'm first in line when something doesn't meet my demands in all details" I don't know, but I think I know who blundered there. ;)

Have a nice day and happy shooting

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
    edited February 11, 2018

@pegelli said:
    Spot the similarities:

Chestnut leaf :

Maple leaf:

If you don't think that's close enough fine, ask a moderator to remove it.
    If you can now admit I didn't make a blunder that's fine too.

And where you got the idea that "I'm first in line when something doesn't meet my demands in all details" I don't know, but I think I know who blundered there. ;)

Have a nice day and happy shooting

I have no need for a moderator. It's obvious that the unique shape of a maple leaf cann't meet a demand for "chestnut leaf shape". :D

@pegelli said:

According to her profile her last post was from May 11 last year, but she's been "active" on the site (I think this means logged in and looking) february 5 this year

She was always an avid poster and participated in the mini challenges, but now she seems to be very quiet :/

This might be lost due to the little storm (in a teacup) above, so I'm putting it again at the bottom to see if anybody has any news about her.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

No I have no news, but I've been wondering for quite some time. Hope she's ok.

edited February 11, 2018

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:
    It's obvious that the unique shape of a maple leaf cann't meet a demand for "chestnut leaf shape". :D

Nothing is obvious :D

While I respect your opinion it wouldn't be a bad idea if you did the same with mine, in my opinion they are close enough.

And while we're at it I wouldn't mind if in the future you can leave the unfounded personal insults and accusations out of your posts, this is a polite forum and supposed to be fun.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,728 Major grins

@pegelli said:

From time to time I see pictures from her on Facebook. She put some pictures there last week..

@lynnma said:

Questionable!!

OMG!!!

@GSPeP said:

@pegelli said:

From time to time I see pictures from her on Facebook. She put some pictures there last week..

Thanks, good idea. I left a message there that we miss her here ;)
    Hope she comes back, I always enjoyed her pictures.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug

@Jørgen_Bjerring and @pegelli
    "I have no need for a moderator. It's obvious that the unique shape of a maple leaf cann't meet a demand for "chestnut leaf shape"
    Apparently by the exchange that I just read, you do need a moderator.

Jorgen, I think that his leaf was close enough, thus why it was accepted. I also think that posting things that do not get another picture put up in a couple days because the subject matter is too specific and difficult to come up with, then the one who posted the difficult subject should go in an change it to something more reasonable.

Thus said, from this point on, I will moderate by saying lets play by the rules already set forth. No more two subject, subjects. Thus you can no longer ask for a color and a shape of something. It's one or another. You may ask for 2 or 3 colors in one image, but you may not add it as an object (ie, shape or pattern). You can say something like, mulitple circles or mulitple squares, but you cannot say mulitiple circles and squares. Calling for a color and asking that it not be a certain pattern or shape of an object will also be ok as long as the request is not an impossible one.
    Also, any posted subject that is so specific and no one has come up with one in 3 to 7 days (whenever I happened to see it and it hasn't changed), the original person who posted the difficult subject should edit it themselves, but if it is not changed by the 7th day, I will edit it for them.

Let's all have fun. It's not a matter of stumping everyone, its a matter of showing our best work if possible. Have a great day!