Editing font size and weight in MENU and GALLERY

manwerkmanwerk Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
Newbie in SmugMug with the following problems:

1) How can I change the font-weight in the menu from now BOLD to NORMAL?

2) How can I change the font size of
a) the automatically generated gallery title (should be a bit smaller) and also
b) the gallery caption (should be a little bit bigger)?

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited December 9, 2017

@manwerk said:

Add this CSS to your site to change the size of the gallery title and description. Adjust the font size as desired:

/* change font size of gallery title and description */
    .sm-gallery-cover-title {
    font-size: 30px !important;
    }
    .sm-gallery-cover-description {
    font-size: 20px ;
    }

Since you didn't provide a link to your site I experimented with the menu on my site. My menu is normal by default, but if yours is bold and if the menu is on the top, this CSS should change it:

.sm-page-widget-nav-toplink {
    font-weight: normal ;
    }

It would be helpful if you could provide a link to your site.
    Since you are a new member you probably won't be able to include a clickable link - but including your site URL as text would be helpful.

• manwerkmanwerk Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
    Thank you so much, both CSS codes worked fine and exactly in the intended way, I’m very happy! Here is my site URL: manfredwerkmeister.smugmug.com

However, after and so to speak as a result of the solution of these questions a few others arose:

1) Is there a way to edit the spaces between breadcrumb, title, caption, and the following photographs?
    2) Is there an analogous solution even for folders, i.e. a CSS code for the folder title and a following caption?
    3) The weight of the breadcrumb letters varies dependent whether they are directed to folders (regular) or galleries (light). Is this standardizeable?
    And two questions concerning the menu:
    4) My menu item "Browse" actually should lead to a display of all folders, subfolders, sub-subfolders, and galleries. Is there a way to manage this?
    5) How can I manage a dropdown menu with all submenus and sub-submenus? Probably in the manner I found on the "Galleries" item of this site: untamednewyork.smugmug.com

A lot of newbie questions, sorry! I’m very grateful for any helping hint. Many thanks in advance!

@manwerk said:
    1) Is there a way to edit the spaces between breadcrumb, title, caption, and the following photographs?

the title, caption, and following photographs are part of a gallery. I'm not aware of a way to insert spaces within the context of a gallery other than altering the display characteristics of the gallery style. When you have a gallery open:
    Customize
    Content and Design
    Hover over the gallery content and select the wrench icon on 'all galleries'

Select the gallery style you want to change to see all changeable characteristics for that style. Make changes as desired.

Since the breadcrumb is a different element than the gallery, you should be able to drag a spacer under the breadcrumb if you are trying to add more space between the breadcrumb and the page content. Spacer is included in the Design elements when you are customizing your site.

@manwerk said:
    2) Is there an analogous solution even for folders, i.e. a CSS code for the folder title and a following caption?

Can you provide a link and an explanation of how you want to change the folder? Folders don't have captions.

@manwerk said:
    3) The weight of the breadcrumb letters varies dependent whether they are directed to folders (regular) or galleries (light). Is this standardizeable?

I don't see a difference in the breadcrumb weight - can you point to an example?

@manwerk said:
    4) Browse question

The standard "browse" page should show a high level of your pages, folders, and galleries. It would show the entries collapsed, so you would see the top level folders or galleries only. If you look at my site, http://www.denisegoldberg.com/browse shows top level folders and pages. While /browse is available I chose to use a custom page in my menu that shows only the folders that contain galleries, http://www.denisegoldberg.com/Gallery/. You could create your own page as the entry to all of your content. The help page Using the "Folders, Galleries & Pages" content block might be helpful.

@manwerk said:
    5) How can I manage a dropdown menu with all submenus and sub-submenus?

There is a section on the help page Create a navigation menu that describes creating a dropdown menu. I believe you can create multiple levels of nesting.

Thanks a lot again for your helpful patience! I’ve spent a busy weekend "tweaking" (I hope so ;-) my SmugMug site. The proposed examination of your own site was there very helpful and inspiring. Certainly the present result of my weekend work will not be the final score. But at the moment I want to give me a breather and also I think new ideas will arise in the course of time (and above all: my relevant capabilities hopefully will grow at the same time as well). At first I will upload a lot of photographs via Lightroom to my SmugMug site. All other comes later.

Three questions are remaining:
    1. See above number 2): What I mean is a text insert between the title of a folder and the following galleries in it, like in the following example the sentence below the title Travel Destinations ---> www.stevensullivan.net/Travel
    2. How can I reduce the size of the picture on my Homepage, so that a have margins around like a passepartout (similar as on your own homepage).
    3. What would be the best resolution/size when uploading images to SmugMug?? My original photos have mostly 6000 x 4000 pixels. Even though according to SmugMug’s own information sheets one should upload all photos in full size, they normally will be displayed (depending on the monitor) only in a resolution between 72 and 96 ppi.

Every hint to get these questions solved is welcome! With many thanks in advance.

@manwerk said:
    1. See above number 2): What I mean is a text insert between the title of a folder and the following galleries in it

There isn't an automatic way to do this since the folder definition does not include a description. You could customize each folder, dragging in a text content element.

There is a feature request for the addition of a folder description. You can add your comments and vote at http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/12348453-add-a-displayable-folder-description-to-folders.

@manwerk said:
    2. How can I reduce the size of the picture on my Homepage, so that a have margins around like a passepartout (similar as on your own homepage).

My homepage contains a "single photo" content element with the photo size set to "fit width".

@manwerk said:
    3. What would be the best resolution/size when uploading images to SmugMug??

I upload full size images. If you are not selling photos from your site or if you plan to upload larger images when sales are made you can use smaller images. Here is a link to the help page containing resolution requirements for printing - http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93359

Thanks a lot again for your advice. I’ll try all the steps and I think they will tweak my SmugMug site again a little bit more.
    (Incidentally, I’m very impressed of your various bike adventures and the photos you took at these occasions!)
    edited December 12, 2017

@manwerk said:

I just took a quick look at your site - it looks good.

The one item that jumped out at me is that you have a browse entry in your menu that isn't really needed given that all of the items shown on your browse page are already in your menu. I would remove the browse entry if it were mine.

Also - are you aware that there is a contact page available for your site? Details are available on the help page http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1248294.

Thanks for your kind words! I already thought by myself that this BROWSE-item in the menu would be superfluous and I removed it in the meantime. Now I will replace some of the gallery(resp. photograph)-placeholders and fill them with the "treasures" of my Lightroom library. The calm days after Christmas will be a good occasion to start this work.
    Have a good time and happy Christmas, and keep on to deliver us with such an inspiring work!