Alternative for Powerex MH-C800S battery charger??? SOFT charging needed.

haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins

I am just wondering whether there is any alternative for Powerex MH-C800S AA (AAA) battery charger. I had two units in the last 4-5 years. Both of them are dead.
I like them as a charger when they work. Unfortunately, it turns out they all fail within 1-2 years if you use them (all the time) as a professional photographer.

I would like to have a charger which allows me to charge battery in "soft" charge mode to make sue my batteries last long and it lasts more than 2 years...

THANKS SO MUCH!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited December 11, 2017

I don't own one but the MAHA Powerex MH-C800S does have a number of users reporting that the rightmost bay does get pretty hot, and that seems to be a cause of premature failure for the charger, not to mention the extra heat is probably adding undue stress on the batteries in that bay.

One user dissected a MH-C800S charger and did confirm a very small (probably insufficient) heatsink . https://eevblog.com/forum/reviews/maha-mh-c800s-charger-teardown/

I suggest that it might be wise to either add a larger heatsink, if you have some experience with electronics, or possibly just add a small external fan to help cool the charger during use.

Otherwise, reviews of that charger are generally positive.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ImYoshiImYoshi Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins

How's about Opus C-2000, a friend lent me and I found it works pretty well!

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited December 11, 2017

@ImYoshi said:

If you should get that unit, the Opus C-2000, be sure that it has at least version 2.2 as users report issues with earlier versions. (Not sure if the versions are software or hardware versions.) Too many users on Amazon are reporting overcharging to the point of battery destruction. (Read all of the 1-star reviews to get an idea of the problems reported.)

https://amazon.com/product-reviews/B00JL3XL2G/ref=acr_dpx_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&showViewpoints=0

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ImYoshiImYoshi Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins

@ziggy53 said:

@ImYoshi said:

If you should get that unit, the Opus C-2000, be sure that it has at least version 2.2 as users report issues with earlier versions. (Not sure if the versions are software or hardware versions.) Too many users on Amazon are reporting overcharging to the point of battery destruction. (Read all of the 1-star reviews to get an idea of the problems reported.)

https://amazon.com/product-reviews/B00JL3XL2G/ref=acr_dpx_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&showViewpoints=0

Thank you!! I'll make sure to have a look at the review. I just used it for few days and up to now it hasn't shown any problem, but yes...I need to be more careful, not sure my version is 2.2 though :#