Options

The Overlay

kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

Shot a while ago in Moscow, Russian Federation. Cropped to 16:9. B&W conversion using SilverEfex. As always, criticism greatly appreciated.

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

Comments

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

I like the conversion and the light on the windows. I'm not so sure a bout the sky... lose it? Is that a window cleaner? Could the photo be about him?

• Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins

This is somehow very pleasing to the eye. I love the composition. Interesting architecture.
    Since the sky is reflected in the windows, I think it is an integral part of the scene (sorry Crystobal, I hate to disagree with you :smiley: )
    I didn't even notice the window washer, If one wanted to make him more important in the shot, leaving the color on just him would do that.
    Good job

• Options

Thank you Cristobal and Jo for your feedback. You are both quite right with your assumptions.

Originally, I tried to capture the window cleaner as the main subject, but I only had a 25mm (50mm) lens with me that day and soon realized I couldn't realize that. So I chose him to be just a little detail for those to discover who look a little closer.

The main idea behind this one was, to not view the sky in the windows as reflections, but the windows to be transparent - basically, the sky behind the windows, the building as "overlay" over the sky. This is why I don't want to lose the sky on the right edge and thus decided for an unusual perspective and the 16:9 crop. I couldn't have realized to lose the bottom (which is a little distorted with street scenery) with the original 4:3 format. I did increase brightness and contrast a little more on the part of the picture where the worker can be seen, I didn't dare to use selective colouring on him. Somehow, selective coloring ruins most pictures for me. But that - like most - is very subjective to every viewer :)

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

I think if you split this in half.....you would end up with 2 sweet images! Cheers!

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator

I'm not much of a selective color fan either, but I think that even if you used it, the figure would still be too small. For me, the shot works as is.

• Options

Thank you both, Taz and Richard.

@Stumblebum said:
    I think if you split this in half.....you would end up with 2 sweet images! Cheers!

Tried it, didn't like it :)