For the Birds

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
  1. A little sun - check.
  2. A little marine layer - check.
  3. A bit of onshore wind - check.
  4. Huge waves - check.
  5. And lots of birds - check.

Taken at Goat Rock beach in Sonoma County. My first time to this area and I fell in love. Hoping to go back early next year. Maybe some of you NorCal-ers would like to join this Socal heathen for some exploring. LOL

"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Sweet shot Alex! Shoot one close up and place it in a appropriate location in fg! Cheers!

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Beautiful shot! Great texture in the sand and softness in the water...

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

I'll echo the above. It's a good blend of visual elements.

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins

@Juano said:
    Beautiful shot! Great texture in the sand and softness in the water...

@Cornflake said:
    I'll echo the above. It's a good blend of visual elements.

Thanks guys.

"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited December 16, 2017

6 Seafoam - check
    7 Timing - check
    8 Interesting foreground object - check
    9 Interesting background objects - check
    10 Clean beach - check

And maybe more, but you've no doubt covered them in this photo too. Well done!

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins

Well, I've obviously got a loooooonnnnggg way to go before being a LS shooter, judging by what this does for me /what I see here and the previous comments :)
    Uninteresting sky with similar tones to the sea / water.
    Great detail in the lower L corner beach - fine if you're a geologist - but could easily be cropped below the lonesome boulder imo, without any great loss of impact.(if you actually want to keep said object in frame)
    Lower pov would've given a better idea of scaling between wave height and bird size (spray above horizon line? )
    For me, cropping just above the lone boulder makes more sense - but I realise that won't sit well with the FG object aficionados.

Incidentally, I was just about to press 'post comment' when mrs pp came by, so I asked her what she thought of the pic ... and the first thing she said - without hesitation - was ''I don't like that thing (the boulder) being there, because it's an 'eye pull' ... she wasn't impressed by the pic ... but I accept that she's probably got a very particular outlook on 'reading' / looking at pix from being around me ...

Fwiw, you've done far, far better imo.

pp