Trying to pick the right Canon G or Sony RX

huseyinhuseyin Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins

Hi fellow grinners,
My old Sony is dying (literally making sounds like it's dying when it tries to focus and something just doesn't lock) so it's time to move on and get something better than a simple point & shoot.

I've been trying to find a nice video explaining the major differences of Canon's G line cameras, especially G3X, G5 X , G7X and G7X MII, but every video link I find on YT is referring to the cameras' video capabilities more than it's picture capabilities. Most of those reviews are from youtubers or video bloggers, which I am not interested in doing.

I got them side by side on this dpreview, but specs aren't everything.

https://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_g9xii&products=canon_g9x&products=canon_g7xii&products=canon_g7x&products=canon_g5x&products=canon_g3x&products=sony_dschx90v&products=sony_a6000&products=sony_dscrx100&products=sony_dscrx100m2&products=sony_dscrx100m3&products=canon_eos800d&sortDir=ascending

It seems like only RX100 III and a6000 got most favorable reviews followed by G7X MII.
I don't know which one to go with. Most important thing for me is the portability, which I think is still possible with a6000 but I think it's still not going to be as portable as G7X MII.

My smugmug still under construction & organization with 17,000 images and counting... meanwhile check my Flickr

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator

@huseyin said:
    It seems like only RX100 III and a6000 got most favorable reviews followed by G7X MII.
    I don't know which one to go with. Most important thing for me is the portability, which I think is still possible with a6000 but I think it's still not going to be as portable as G7X MII.

The Sony axxxx bodies, and Sony NEX bodies which preceded, are part of an interchangeable lens system. You can make a fairly portable system of the a6000 (I have this body) but you generally choose this system for its flexibility at the expense of portability.

Beyond that, in order to make a serious recommendation, it is important to know much more about your shooting style and shooting preferences.

How important is indoor and low-light vs outdoor daylight conditions?
    What types of photography do you wish to pursue: people and event, landscapes and scenics, etc. Please elaborate and rank in importance the nature of your preferences?
    The importance of external flash?
    Any other things to consider? The more you tell us about yourself with regards to photography, the better we can help.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • huseyinhuseyin Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins

This camera will be just for family shots, mostly outdoors. When used indoors, I need the flash especially quick recharge is important.
    I gave up on long zoom, so while it's nice to have it on Lumix ZS100, according to review and sample pictures, it looks soft and muted compared to Canons.

I think Canon G7XMII and RX100 MIII both have the same sensor, the biggest downside of Sony is lack of touchscreen, which I really enjoyed when I tested the camera.
    Only thing I am really wishing these had is EVF, for that I have to go to G5X but it's an old camera, most likely due an update soon.

Eventually I narrowed it down to G7X MII and G5X, based on what I've been reading, I think I'll go with G7X MII. I will miss the EVF but I think it'll be fine.

My smugmug still under construction & organization with 17,000 images and counting... meanwhile check my Flickr
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator

@huseyin said:
    This camera will be just for family shots, mostly outdoors. When used indoors, I need the flash especially quick recharge is important.
    Only thing I am really wishing these had is EVF, for that I have to go to G5X but it's an old camera, most likely due an update soon.

Eventually I narrowed it down to G7X MII and G5X, based on what I've been reading, I think I'll go with G7X MII. I will miss the EVF but I think it'll be fine.

Between the Canon PowerShot G5 X (G5X) and Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II (G7X2), the G7X2 is more responsive and 10-times more capable shooting Raw files. For outdoor use it wins, big time.

However ...

For indoor use the G5X has a hot shoe, which allows either an external flash or even a remote flash capability for creative lighting (using an external flash and master/slave wireless system). This is a huge advantage indoors and can yield excellent results. Unfortunately the G5X does not support AF-Assist, so even if the flash has that feature, it won't activate on the camera.

Both the G5X and the G7X2 have an AF illuminator light, but it only really works with closer subject matter. The G7X2 has a more recent image processor, Digic 7, and folks are reporting improved low-light AF with that body as a result.

I agree that the Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II is likely to produce the most satisfactory compromise between these two cameras for your stated needs.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums