Options

Security and Access: I am confused

rougetaureaurougetaureau Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins

Confused (again) in this area.
I want to upload a large quantities of pictures in my SmugMug site, using drag and drop from my desktop. Lots of folders and sub-folders. For my personal use, but I also want my partner (who does not have a SmugMug account) to have access..
So I created a root folder in the SmugMug Organizer, and set the security of the folder to "Unlisted (Anyone With the Link).
I also set the security of "all sub-folders" to "Public" with access to "Anyone", thinking that, unless you have the direct link to the root folder, you won't have access to the sub-folders anyway.
Then I uploaded some folders from my desktop into the root folder.
But it does not work like I expected. I can have access to the root folder with the direct link, but the sub-folders does not appear, And they don't inherit the security settings of the root folder command. And even when I manually set them to public, I do not see the subfolders.
What am I doing wrong? I suspect something very basic is escaping my comprehension.

Comments

• Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,450 Major grins

By access, are you just talking about viewing and not uploading?

If your root folder is unlisted, you need to use the 'Anyone With the Link'. As an example 'your-site.com/root-folder/x-xxxxx/' will show, but 'your-site.com/root-folder/' won't. Same with subs.

• Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins

It should work as you intend: making the first folder Unlisted, and sharing that with your partner, while all the contents inside it are Public, should allow them to see all the contents.

When doing a folder upload (dragging a folder into the Organizer), a new gallery will automatically be created using the Accessibility and Visibility settings of the parent folder. Since you created a folder and set it to "Unlisted", any future folder uploads will also create an Unlisted folder (in which case it won't show up for your partner). You'll need to go and set that new Folder (not the "root" one) and/or Galleries to be Public.

It sounds like you tried that -- are you sure you set the sub-folders to public after they uploaded?

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations