Riding In Style

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited January 11, 2018 in Other Cool Shots

As an unrepentant gear head, I love just about anything that has wheels and a motor. There's something about cars from the 30's and 40's, however, that really grab my attention. The cars you see here are classics of their time. I've spoken to these brands before, so no details of subsequence this time. I will note, though, that many cars of that era, particularly the expensive stuff, had a penchant for COLOR....they sure weren't all black, ala Ford.

This is a 1931 Auburn Boattail Speedster, Model 8-98. Auburn produced some of the most beautiful cars of all time. They were also very mechanically innovative.

This is a 1930 Packard 734. Many of the Hollywood breed flocked to the Packard line of cars. Clark Gable was a consummate gear head.....and a highly regarded mechanic, as well. He probably owned more Packards , during those times, than any other brand. But the list of cars he owned and drove in his lifetime is exhaustive.

Behold a truly remarkable auto. This is a 1932 Alfa Romero 8C-2300. Some of a limited production of this car were sold as road-going, touring cars for the wealthy. They would be appropriately addressed in the interior treatment and softened up for street use. The 8C-2300 made its mark, however, as one of the most successful race cars ever....when viewed in a comparative perspective. Some of you car guys may notice that a Ferrari prancing horse logo is apparent on the hood of this racing version Alfa Romero. In the case of this car, all the race preparation was done by Scuderia Ferrari, so their logo is appropriate. Incidentally, an 8C-2300 recently sold at auction for close to 12 million dollars.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Wow! What beauties! Love your notes!

12 million dollars.......ugh....I am few bucks short!

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Thanks, brother. I'll be happy to throw in a few hundred bucks if that will help you.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

All beauties! I would love to drive one of them!

I hear that, buddy. Over the years, I've ridden in a couple of classic Auburns....never drove one though. I've really been enjoying your recent Brazil work.

• TasmanianTasmanian Registered Users Posts: 486 Major grins

Superb vintage cars !!!

These premier shows bring out the premier cars. Glad you liked them.

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

Great set Tom. I put one of those Auburn Boattail' on my have to have, but never getting list. A few years back I worked on a beautiful million $, steel and wood garage, for a 12 mil 1957 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa. Another beautiful car, but waayy out of my price range!

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

Nice set, Tom.

They are all beautiful but, without exception, out of my price range

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata

@roaddog52 said:
    Great set Tom. I put one of those Auburn Boattail' on my have to have, but never getting list. A few years back I worked on a beautiful million $, steel and wood garage, for a 12 mil 1957 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa. Another beautiful car, but waayy out of my price range!

I agree, Phil, that Ferrari Testa Rossa is a real stunner. I'm fortunate to be able to be around this collector car world and to get to shoot these fabulous cars. As an owner, though, I'm certainly a bottom feeder.

Stay safe,

Tom

@willard3 said:
    Nice set, Tom.

They are all beautiful but, without exception, out of my price range

Thanks, guy. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Most everything I shoot is out of my reach.

Take care,

Tom