Options

1st astro shot.

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited December 11, 2005 in Holy Macro
Ok..1stly the excuses.

I took me about 3 hours to work out how to do it..all sounds easy reading in a forum but standing in total darkness in the bush at midnight without a moon its a diff story. A few yowies calling out down in the next valley does not help your nerves either....i was hoping they wouldnt pick up my scent & come to see what was going on.

This is my trusty kit lens @ 18mm...ISO 100...and 56 minuite exposure. I sharpened it just a tad & also a tiny amount of luminance smoothing because i really dont know what to do with the photo. I dont know what the colours are about...one is def mars i know that for sure.

Funny this is that i turned on the noise reduction in the cameras custom functions & thus if you have the shutter open for an hour..it takes an hour to process the photo. You just get 'busy' written in the lcd.

The 8 stars to the top right are part of the big dipper (i call it the North Arrow as it always points to the north) Orion is the brightest one. A lot of shooting stars went over but were all too fast for the camera to get...we are entering into the Phoenicids meteor shower at the moment.

Worst bit is that a storm was over the horizon & in the total darkness the lightning flashes were going up into the sky. I estimate it was easily over 100 miles away. I believe it poluted the shot.

46927631-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited December 3, 2005
    I did 2...this one didnt turn out well. It was with the 135mm @ f/4.5 for 9 minutes ISO 100

Big Dipper again...i dont know what the curled up bits are. Maybe the tripod head settling as that lens is quite heavy.

46941791-M.jpg
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Ok..1stly the excuses.

I took me about 3 hours to work out how to do it..all sounds easy reading in a forum but standing in total darkness in the bush at midnight without a moon its a diff story. A few yowies calling out down in the next valley does not help your nerves either....i was hoping they wouldnt pick up my scent & come to see what was going on.

This is my trusty kit lens @ 18mm...ISO 100...and 56 minuite exposure. I sharpened it just a tad & also a tiny amount of luminance smoothing because i really dont know what to do with the photo. I dont know what the colours are about...one is def mars i know that for sure.

Funny this is that i turned on the noise reduction in the cameras custom functions & thus if you have the shutter open for an hour..it takes an hour to process the photo. You just get 'busy' written in the lcd.

The 8 stars to the top right are part of the big dipper (i call it the North Arrow as it always points to the north) Orion is the brightest one. A lot of shooting stars went over but were all too fast for the camera to get...we are entering into the Phoenicids meteor shower at the moment.

Worst bit is that a storm was over the horizon & in the total darkness the lightning flashes were going up into the sky. I estimate it was easily over 100 miles away. I believe it poluted the shot.

46927631-M.jpg
    C'est magnifique!clap.gif i love the tree silhouettes in the corners. it adds perspective.

great shot gusthumb.gif

daniel-
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2005
    Gus,

I don't have any experience (did try the moon once, though), but I'd say you did fantastic for first time out. Nice job.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2005
    Thanks guys but i had no moon & not even the slightest breeze. It was a totally still night.

Now that i have worked out how to do it i can start planning on what to add in the foreground.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2005
    BTW...i would be more than happy to send the originals to anyone that is proficient with post work to see what is able to be drawn from the shot.

Gus
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    The first one is great! Definitely seems like something wasn't stuck properly on the second.

In the first image, I wonder what the pulsing light is that has a different trail than the stars. It has a more pronounced downward curve, going right through the big dipper stars. Too dim to be the ISS (which definitely doesn't pulse). ne_nau.gif
    Chris
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2005
    95Mcaj wrote:
    In the first image, I wonder what the pulsing light is that has a different trail than the stars. It has a more pronounced downward curve, going right through the big dipper stars. Too dim to be the ISS (which definitely doesn't pulse). ne_nau.gif
    No worries ...i like to know what all that stuff is also.

Identification USSPACECOM Catalog No.:28646International Designation Code:2005-016-A Alternate Names:USA 182

Satellite Details
    Orbit: 710 x 720 km, 57.0°Category: Military Reconnaissance Country/Org. of Origin:USA Intrinsic brightness: 3.4(at 1000km distance, 50% illuminated)Maximum brightness (Mag): 1.9 (at perigee, 100% illuminated)Launch
    Date (UTC):April 30, 2005
  • Options
    AndymanAndyman Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    Pretty cool Humumgus. =)
    Nikon D50
    Tamron AF18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD
    Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical
    Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
    Nikon SB-800 Speedlight
  • Options
    babybluetx23babybluetx23 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    This is my trusty kit lens @ 18mm...ISO 100...and 56 minuite exposure.
    Ok I feel STUPID but HOW ON EARTH did you get a 56 min exposure? Do you have a manual Shutter release that allowed you the ability to lock it down for that long? Or is it a setting on your Cam?
    Cynthia Cox
    Arlington, Tx
    http://www.innovativeillusionsphoto.com/

OMP member #: 173034

Canon EOS 5D : Bogen 3051 tripod : Bogen Monopod : Bogen 3030 head unit : Canon Speedlight 580EX : Canon EF 28-200 F3.5 : Canon 70-200 f2.8L : Canon 24-70mm F2.8L and other Canon Gear

The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE." - Ernst Haas
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2005
    Ok I feel STUPID but HOW ON EARTH did you get a 56 min exposure? Do you have a manual Shutter release that allowed you the ability to lock it down for that long? Or is it a setting on your Cam?
    Manual lockdown on the remote control.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2005
    Andyman wrote:
    Pretty cool Humumgus. =)
    Tks for looking AM. Much more to come.

I was purely by chance aiming in the correct area at the correct time to score this baby but i was way too far east. Imaging how rare it would be to get one this big on film.

I saw on the news where the sonic boom of it blew a trap door of a wheat silo open. Someone caught it on video & it looked like the world was going to end...massive tail behind it just like the movies.
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    Wow Gus! clap.gif Very daring of you to heat up your sensor for 58mins :D

Heard about your meteorite on this mornings news - now that would have been something to take pics of...
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2005
    BigAl wrote:
    Wow Gus! clap.gif Very daring of you to heat up your sensor for 58mins :D

Heard about your meteorite on this mornings news - now that would have been something to take pics of...
    Tks mate...i had heard that it heats the sensor...wonder if it damages it ne_nau.gif

Maybe if it does i can get that 'next' model.
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Tks mate...i had heard that it heats the sensor...wonder if it damages it ne_nau.gif

Maybe if it does i can get that 'next' model.
    I've heard that the CCD detectors on the big astronomy telescopes are cooled down with liquid nitrogen, but I think that's more to kill the noise.
  • Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    Hi there Gus.

This is something i have been planning on doing for about a year now with my EOS30 film camera...But planning and doing are two very different thingsrolleyes1.gif

I would have no idea to process them so I can't help you there.

Glad the yowies didn't eat you. Sitting in the bush for a few hours in the middle of the night with no moon sounds a bit hairy...Perhaps thats one reason I haven't ventured out yet. That and the fact that since I've become a mother I take every precious minute of sleep I am offered.

If you know how, or know someone who does, you can work out where the south celestial pole is and you can get them rotating in the circle. I have also seen people do them just before dawn and get some slight colour in the sky.

And from what I'm told, it takes practice and enthusiasm to get it going well. Sometimes you get lucky and get shooting stars going across.

I think I'm rabbitting on again...

Nice shots:D
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2005
    Thanks RM...yep been there with a little one & sleep is a powerfull friend.

Celestrial south pole is easy...finding a bit of untree'd flat ground is the hard part as its very low. You extend the southern cross's axis on toward the horizon & the bisect it with a line 90 degrees off the pointers axis.

That bit about dawn is a good idea.

I got lots of shooting stars in that shot but none burnt on as thats just too fast for a long exposure. Now had i got that hooah that crashed into WA then i recon i would have a real hot seller on my hands.
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    WOW..speechless
  • Options
    StefStef Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    Cool! I really like these shots. I am too impatient for THAT long of an exposure, so keep posting them so I can see. :D
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2005
    Tks guys. Impatience is not the word when you do a 56 min shot & then have to wait 56 min to see the image or to do another.
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    Cool stuff Gus,but I was wanting a Yowie1drink.gifnod
    I think you pull it off very wellthumb.gif
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    No worries ...i like to know what all that stuff is also.
    Satellite Details
    Orbit: 710 x 720 km, 57.0°Category: Military Reconnaissance Country/Org. of Origin:USA Intrinsic brightness: 3.4(at 1000km distance, 50% illuminated)Maximum brightness (Mag): 1.9 (at perigee, 100% illuminated)Launch
    Date (UTC):April 30, 2005
    Nice, U.S. spy satellite!
    Gotta keep a close watch on you shifty Aussies... :tiptoe

Too bad you missed that Meteor.... that would have been a great reward for 1 image in 2 hours!
    Chris
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited December 5, 2005
    Cool shot there Gus!

Too much light around here for that.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2005
    Hey Gus....

I just found this in my browsing around and it looks like it may be of great use to you...

EOS Digital Astro Photography Guide
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2005
    Great shots you have. I think the most frustrating thing about astro photography is how difficult it is to frame up a subject. However, I always carry a flashlight with a red diffuser on it so as to see what I'm doing without ruining my night vision.