Emulating the Nav Bar from my main website

sgrottasgrotta Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins

Is there any way to emulate the Nav Bar on my new website (preview available at dev.sallywienergrotta.com) on my smugmug pages? I'm trying to make the integration between the two to appear seamless.

Thank you, Sally

Comments

• Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins

Aren't you having your "coder" do that? On your other thread you said you are the designer and you have a coder to do that.

• sgrottasgrotta Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2018

Yes, but she said she is having difficulty overriding the smugmug styling. So, I was wondering what tips you or other other experts might have for her in dealing with that. Her primary responsibility is building the overall main website and then helping make my smugmug pages fit the design.

Thanks, Sally

• rhtrht Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins

Hi Sally,

This can be done, provided your navigation doesn't use javascript. You'd have to copy the HTML code and relevant CSS and put it in a HTML code block in the "entire site" part of the content and design. Next thing would be to get rid of the standard smug-mug navigation and then just code all the links manually - and hope you don't do any big IA (information architecture) changes.

That's one way to do it.

The other way is to try and restyle the smugmug navigation. Use the code inspector in your browser (especially the ones in Firefox) to find the CSS rules that you need to customise and then start restyling it. I don't think you'll get it to match exactly.

w: Reheat Images
    Torn between cycling and photography!

Yes Mike, but she said she is having difficulty overriding the smugmug styling. So, I was wondering what tips you or other other experts might have for her in dealing with that.

Thanks, Sally

• rhtrht Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins

@sgrotta said:
    Yes Mike, but she said she is having difficulty overriding the smugmug styling. So, I was wondering what tips you or other other experts might have for her in dealing with that.

Thanks, Sally

For what it's worth, I've also been going through some troubles over-riding the default styling, particularly widths of some elements (buy button).

w: Reheat Images
    Torn between cycling and photography!
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins

@rht said:
    Hi Sally,

This can be done, provided your navigation doesn't use javascript. You'd have to copy the HTML code and relevant CSS and put it in a HTML code block in the "entire site" part of the content and design. Next thing would be to get rid of the standard smug-mug navigation and then just code all the links manually - and hope you don't do any big IA (information architecture) changes.

That's one way to do it.

The other way is to try and restyle the smugmug navigation. Use the code inspector in your browser (especially the ones in Firefox) to find the CSS rules that you need to customise and then start restyling it. I don't think you'll get it to match exactly.

I used to do that. I would copy my WP navigation into a HTML/CSS block. Now I use the SM navigation and style it to match.

She said that the advice you've provided and some links to smugmug sites that I sent her have helped her better understand how to work with the smugmug styling. Here's hoping it works.