Dellinger Grist Mill

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited January 22, 2018 in Other Cool Shots

In the late 1890's and early 1900's, the Southern Appalachians were considered to be the most dangerous part of our country.....more so than the wild west at its peak. Murders, barn burnings, kidnappings, were fairly common. Traditional law enforcement was absent as agents were literally afraid to venture into those mountains. The mountain folks had their own sense of justice and they fiercely resisted any intrusions from the " outside world ". Illicit booze was a staple of the region and the folks there fought tooth and nail with each other and anyone else who dared to intrude into their lives.

Not long ago, I was in Bakersville, N.C., on a mission to visit some of the more notorious sites where confrontations between various elements overflowed into virtually open warfare. While there, I was directed to a nearby burg that is the site of the only remaining water-driven grist mill in North Carolina. The Dellinger Grist Mill. This mill has been in operation for well over 150 years. The current owner and operator is Jack Dellinger. He's 86 years old now and represents the third generation of his family who founded the place. Man, I hit the gold mine with Jack. His knowledge of the history of the region is second to none.

To my great surprise, though, was the thrill of discovering Jack's other life endeavor.....he was a personal pick by Dr. Wernher von Braun to be on the very first team assembled to lead America into space. Jack spent over 40 years as one of Nasa's most influential computer wizards. One of the things that Jack is most proud of is his development of the software and mechanisms necessary to steer the mighty Saturn 5 rockets that carried our guys to the moon. I'm still stunned to have run across such an accomplished figure in our space exploration program that is as happy as a bug in a rug to operate this mill in the middle of the backwoods. I could talk to this guy for weeks.

But here's his mill....

This iron water wheel was made in 1859, shipped to a railhead about 40 miles from the mill, broken up into eight pieces of 500 lbs. each, then drug to the mill site by mules pulling sleds up and down mountain trails. It was assembled again on site and been in use since then.

Here's Jack. My wife on the left, a good friend on the right, and the amazing man himself in the middle.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

Wow great story Tom...

Thanks for posting

Rags
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Thanks for the visit, Rags. I wish everyone who has an interest in space exploration could meet Jack. I've never before met anyone who has such an insider experience as to what really went on during the formative years of NASA. I wish the guy would write a book.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Great pics and cool story. You really lucked out with this one.

@Richard said:
    Great pics and cool story. You really lucked out with this one.

You're sure right, Richard. I absolutely lucked out.

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

Pics are great - and the story behind the mill takes them to another level.

@denisegoldberg said:
    Pics are great - and the story behind the mill takes them to another level.

It's always a treat to hear from you Denise. Thanks.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Incredible story and beautiful photos, wow. Wow.

@Juano said:
    Incredible story and beautiful photos, wow. Wow.

Thanks, Cristóbal. That unplanned visit to the mill sure made my day.

@Stumblebum said:
    Another beauty Tom! Oh I wish I can shoot this!

Thanks, brother. I'd really love to have you go shooting with me when I'm cruising the Appalachians. You'd be in hog heaven.

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

I like all the fotos but like the POV in 1 and 3 best.

Great story and fotos, Tom.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Very cool, Tom.

@willard3 said:
    I like all the fotos but like the POV in 1 and 3 best.

Great story and fotos, Tom.

Hey, buddy. I know you would enjoy meeting Jack and hearing his story as much as I did.

@Cornflake said:
    Very cool, Tom.

Thanks, Don. I appreciate the visit.